Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

And I'm finished... Just have to come in for the graduation mass tomorrow evening and I'm properly finished. Really doesn't feel like my last day though. All very neutral tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It's a very funny feeling all right. Being finished but not really finished. Wanting to be excited but not wanting to get too excited :) I almost wish I was back there myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

The celebrations have started in my school already even though It isn't till Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Had my graduation yesterday, felt kinda underwhelming with some teachers failing to show up and a feeling of a general lack of planning associated with the event.
    Anyone else feel the same?
    Now that the LC's so soon things are really starting to heat up though.

thetalker wrote: »
    Had my graduation yesterday, felt kinda underwhelming with some teachers failing to show up and a feeling of a general lack of planning associated with the event.

Don't be too hard on the teachers that didn't show. It's a very busy time of year for them as well as their own families to look after. If they could have been there they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

No way? That's disappointing to hear. Last year two of our teachers didn't come to graduation. One had a genuine excused and apologised to us that she wouldn't be able to attend. The other just didn't care. Says a lot really about her really. Graduation was honestly the best night out I've ever had. Having a drink with your school friends and teachers is a surreal experience and I honestly enjoyed it thoroughly :p

I imagine they must have been busy but its a shame they gave us no warning. What was more annoying was the graduation song in which we had practiced for weeks and in the end were never allowed to perform, the only reason I could see was that noone had been in charge of scheduling it cause we notified them but were never cued in or given a chance to try.
    Drinking with the teachers was class though and a great experience.

That's a pity. You should have given the principal the heads up that you had a song you wanted to sing as a group at the end. The prefects should have arranged it. (If there were any). Maybe you could arrange it for your debs?:)

We did tell the principal and the yearhead, the announced the ceremony had ended without giving us a chance to do it. As for prefects, well they are mostly just prefects in name only.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I amn't going to debs and just glad its over now. Its just something that irritated me. :(

That was mean all right. You and your friends can remember it as your theme song so:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

hasdanta wrote: »
    My history teacher thinks that Eucharistic Congress, Consolidation of Democracy and Sinn Féin and the 1918 General Election will come up.

That would be such a nice paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

What are people doing in terms of studying for French? My comprehension is pretty brushed up, I've been basically reading a chapter of French Harry Potter a day lol. But I was never quite sure what to do in terms of study for the Opinion Pieces.

Anybody have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

F*CK YES

I don't even care that there's exams. That was a top class last day, I called every teacher by their first name, got photos with my favourite people, and told the most annoying guy in the year to shut up.

Now time to drink so much my liver turns into mush

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

Graduation night from Wednesday will forever be embedded in my brain even though I can't remember specific details lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone know if integration by parts is still on maths course. Because i was looking ay b part i. I presume thats hoe you go about doing the qs. But my friend said its no longer on the course.
    Also 8 part a. I dont quite get how the answer is 2ln(x+3) maybe using the second rule in integration in formula booklet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Integration by substitution is no longer on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Anyone know if implicit differentiation is still on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

jogd1234 wrote: »
    Anyone know if implicit differentiation is still on the course?

Yup they added it back to the project maths course last year! I think it will appear on the paper this year....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

padraigmck wrote: »
    Yup they added it back to the project maths course last year! I think it will appear on the paper this year....

Do you have a circular on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

spurious wrote: »
    Do you have a circular on that?

A supplement book was sent out with the active maths book 1s containing just implicit differentiation. On the supplement book it says "The following material has been written to supplement Chapter 13 (Differential Calculus I) in light of changes to the syllabus. It should be studied at the end of the chapter, before the Revision Exercises in the textbook. This material will be examined from 2015."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

My last day was the worst ever..no one did anything and it was so boring and bad

My last day was the worst ever..no one did anything and it was so boring and bad

Sorry to hear that, I hope you have a good summer holiday to compensate!
    I know the feeling of being dissatisfied but I take a zen approach to it :o

Does anyone know where we can find sample questions and stuff for the supplementary calculus or is it in the booklet, cause idk where mine is.

Also what are people's predictions for English? Especially the single text (Hamlet) and the poets (my bet is Hopkins or Plath)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Sorry to hear that, I hope you have a good summer holiday to compensate!
    I know the feeling of being dissatisfied but I take a zen approach to it :o

Does anyone know where we can find sample questions and stuff for the supplementary calculus or is it in the booklet, cause idk where mine is.

Also what are people's predictions for English? Especially the single text (Hamlet) and the poets (my bet is Hopkins or Plath)

I think Hopkins or Donne. Possibly Boland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Really hope one of these poets come up:

-Donne
    -Plath
    -Durcan

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Anyone know if integration by parts is still on maths course. Because i was looking ay b part i. I presume thats hoe you go about doing the qs. But my friend said its no longer on the course.
    Also 8 part a. I dont quite get how the answer is 2ln(x+3) maybe using the second rule in integration in formula booklet ?

You can do (b) (i) using a trigonometric substitution on the Formulae and Tables Booklet. It's the second one from the top on page 15. I've attached a solution to that one. You can also use substitution, but for some crazy reason, it's not on the course. It's unfortunate since it's actually quite helpful and doesn't require too much learning. Please let me know if any of it is unclear and I'll try to explain. :)

I don't know how to do (a) (i) without applying some form of substitution. I'll try to explain it conceptionally and simply.

The function is 2 / (x + 3). 3 is just a constant. So you could simply let u = x + 3. Now you have 2 / u, which you know integrates to 2ln|u| + C. But since u = x + 3, you can say that the integral is 2ln|x + 3| + C. :)

Here is a bit more information in the spoiler which is more than you need to do the question but might make some things a bit clearer. If any of this doesn't make sense, please just ignore it. It's here to make you understand a bit better, but it's not essential for Leaving Cert Maths. Just highlight the text with your cursor to reveal the text.
    Essentially all you need to know is that something like x + a, where a is a constant like 3, pi, or -6.25, can be written as some other function u. So for x + 3, if x = 1, it evaluates to 4. That means that u = 4. The concept might be a bit confusing, giving x + 3 the value u tidies things up a bit for you.

In general, the indefinite integral of a / (x + b), where a and b are constants, equals aln|x + b| + C.

I don't think you need to know this, but strictly speaking, the integral of 1 / x is ln|x|, with absolute value or modulus bars. This can be proved, but essentially it accounts for when x is a negative value. Since you can't calculate the log of a negative value, the absolute value bars ensure that whatever number x is, is a positive number, excluding 0 of course.

Also, strictly speaking, what I told you above would give you the indefinite integral of 2 / u dx. You can't integrate this, but you can differentiate u with respect to x. In this case, du/dx of x + 3 is just 1. So you can basically multiply across by dx to get the equation du = dx. So you can change your integral to 2 / u du, which you can integrate.

Remember that u is some other variable. There is nothing special about x. It's just what mathematicians, scientists and engineers frequently use. You can differentiate and integrate with respect to any variable.

This website is very useful for calculus solutions, but bear in mind that it does use substitution, integration by parts and a bunch of stuff you don't know in some of its solutions.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/step-by-step/\int\frac{2}{x+3}dx

Don't forget the constant of integration in indefinite integrals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

A97 wrote: »
    You can do (b) (i) using a trigonometric substitution on the Formulae and Tables Booklet. It's the second one from the top on page 15. I've attached a solution to that one. You can also use substitution, but for some crazy reason, it's not on the course. It's unfortunate since it's actually quite helpful and doesn't require too much learning. Please let me know if any of it is unclear and I'll try to explain. :)

I don't know how to do (a) (i) without applying some form of substitution. I'll try to explain it conceptionally and simply.

The function is 2 / (x + 3). 3 is just a constant. So you could simply let u = x + 3. Now you have 2 / u, which you know integrates to 2ln|u| + C. But since u = x + 3, you can say that the integral is 2ln|x + 3| + C. :)

Here is a bit more information in the spoiler which is more than you need to do the question but might make some things a bit clearer. If any of this doesn't make sense, please just ignore it. It's here to make you understand a bit better, but it's not essential for Leaving Cert Maths. Just highlight the text with your cursor to reveal the text.
    Essentially all you need to know is that something like x + a, where a is a constant like 3, pi, or -6.25, can be written as some other function u. So for x + 3, if x = 1, it evaluates to 4. That means that u = 4. The concept might be a bit confusing, giving x + 3 the value u tidies things up a bit for you.

In general, the indefinite integral of a / (x + b), where a and b are constants, equals aln|x + b| + C.

I don't think you need to know this, but strictly speaking, the integral of 1 / x is ln|x|, with absolute value or modulus bars. This can be proved, but essentially it accounts for when x is a negative value. Since you can't calculate the log of a negative value, the absolute value bars ensure that whatever number x is, is a positive number, excluding 0 of course.

Also, strictly speaking, what I told you above would give you the indefinite integral of 2 / u dx. You can't integrate this, but you can differentiate u with respect to x. In this case, du/dx of x + 3 is just 1. So you can basically multiply across by dx to get the equation du = dx. So you can change your integral to 2 / u du, which you can integrate.

Remember that u is some other variable. There is nothing special about x. It's just what mathematicians, scientists and engineers frequently use. You can differentiate and integrate with respect to any variable.

This website is very useful for calculus solutions, but bear in mind that it does use substitution, integration by parts and a bunch of stuff you don't know in some of its solutions.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/step-by-step/\int\frac{2}{x+3}dx

Don't forget the constant of integration in indefinite integrals!

Thank you so much for taking your time out and explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I think Plath, Boland and Hopkins are likely!

Tbh it's impossible to guess what will come up for the single text.. I'd love a role of women Essay though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

I feel Boland and Plath will make an appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I wonder is there many people that go into the exam having only studied one or two poets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Like studied as in revised or studied as in spent time doing in class? cause I'm not planning on revising T.S Eliot or Bishop really

Advertisement