Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

My course went up by only 6 points, I was still around 160 above the minimum points requirement and I got my #1 choice. I just kinda went "aw nice" at my screen and am now rolling over to go back to sleep so I can accept it later :v
    Hope everyone is happy with their results and offers!!

Also thank god for whoever decided 30-40% is a passing grade for HL now (and that H7s are the matriculation grades for my course) and I somehow pulled through in Maths, jaysus

...Aaaaand just realised that there is a specific thread for offers and that I'm just blind and do need to go back to sleep goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Any of you folks going to check your papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Dovies wrote: »
    Any of you folks going to check your papers?

I am going to view all my papers, just to see what percent I got in each. I'm hoping that there's some correcting errors that will bring me up the 21 points I need for my first choice.......

padraigmck wrote: »
    I am going to view all my papers, just to see what percent I got in each. I'm hoping that there's some correcting errors that will bring me up the 21 points I need for my first choice.......

Having a battle with my son at the moment! I think he should check them - he says there are only 2 papers that he thinks should be higher and just wants them remarked. Checking weekend is EP weekend!! And I'm fully aware that his points are more important than a festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Having a battle with my son at the moment! I think he should check them - he says there are only 2 papers that he thinks should be higher and just wants them remarked. Checking weekend is EP weekend!! And I'm fully aware that his points are more important than a festival!
    Same advice we give everyone here:

1. Arrange to view your / the candidate's scripts

2. Arrange for your teacher / another teacher of the subject to go through the scripts with you (preferably a teacher who is an experienced corrector at LC level). They will have a far better idea than you will whether it's worth appealing.

(Don't just assume that your teachers will be there on the day at the time you wander in, they have lives too. Contact them in advance and ask them / arrange a time which they can make. You may need to do this through the school.)

Just to pre-empt questions ... click

Dovies, I hate to be the one to break the news, but unless you're an experienced teacher / examiner, you actually don't have a clue as to whether it's worth checking them or not! ;)

And you're allowed go to EP and have some fun, he's old enough now to deal with his own stuff. ;)

And no, your balls didn't actually fall off when he was born, it just felt like they did! ;)

And Dovies_son ... give the auld lad a packet of johnnies for the sake of his pride and kick him off to EP with a half-dozen flasks of strong tea, and grow up and sort your own re-checks!

• Advertisement

Same advice we give everyone here:

Dovies, I hate to be the one to break the news, but unless you're an experienced teacher / examiner, you actually don't have a clue as to whether it's worth checking them or not! ;)

And you're allowed go to EP and have some fun, he's old enough now to deal with his own stuff. ;)

And no, your balls didn't actually fall off when he was born, it just felt like they did! ;)

And Dovies_son ... give the auld lad a packet of johnnies for the sake of his pride and kick him off to EP with a half-dozen flasks of strong tea, and grow up and sort your own re-checks!

Lol thanks but I don't have balls! Well not actual ones!
    and he's going to EP not me - rain, tents and no hair straighteners - no thanks!

Lol thanks but I don't have balls! Well not actual ones!
    and he's going to EP not me - rain, tents and no hair straighteners - no thanks!
    Lolll, you're the mom? ... bad guess!! :v

And I still say tell him to stay at home and take responsibility for his own life, while you chill and let your hair down! ;) ... and to hell with the straighteners, he probably uses them more than you do anyway! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have to agree with randy here, time for him to put on the big boy pants and do things for himself.

Did you fill in the CAO form for him? You can whisper the answer if you want - I know a huge number of mammies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

When you get 565 points but the course is 566 points...

Anyone know if I can accept my second option now (UCD Science) and when the round 2 offers arrive and the course points drop, pick my first option (TP Trinity) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

thetalker wrote: »
    When you get 565 points but the course is 566 points...

Anyone know if I can accept my second option now (UCD Science) and when the round 2 offers arrive and the course points drop, pick my first option (TP Trinity) ?

Ouch...

And yep. You can go up, but never down. If you accept UCD but TP becomes available in the second round you have the chance to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Thanks, thats probably what I'll do then

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Anyone heading to UCD been offered accommodation yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

ciara18 wrote: »
    Anyone heading to UCD been offered accommodation yet?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057762202/2/#post104463164

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Just wondering what do most of y'all do with your old school books? Trying to get rid but don't know where to go really

• Registered Users Posts: 15 doob23

Just wondering what do most of y'all do with your old school books? Trying to get rid but don't know where to go really

burn the yokes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask your old school could they use them. A fortune is spent on schoolbooks every year. They may well have students of limited means would be very grateful for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Hey guys, does anybody know when the invitation to register becomes available for Trinity? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Hulgerx10 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anybody know when the invitation to register becomes available for Trinity? Or am I missing something?

You will register online via the website my.tcd.ie. Registration will open from August on a course by course basis. A communication will be sent to the e-mail address you gave during the application process inviting you to log in to the website to register. Please check your e-mail address regularly.

The email will come when it comes it's nothing to worry about. Make sure you fill out anything that needs to be done before you register such as picking electives.

doob23 wrote: »
    burn the yokes
    Please don't.

As spurious says, it's such a waste when someone else might be glad of them, plus it's another bit of a tree wasted, plus smoke polluting our air, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Do other people know what you got in your leaving cert during the hear orientation ?. Or would you know another persons results without them telling you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

iCrazzy wrote: »
    Do other people know what you got in your leaving cert during the hear orientation ?. Or would you know another persons results without them telling you ?

I highly doubt it. The HEAR points system is really weird anyways (I got something in the 900s for mine??) so even if other people did see what you got, they wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of it!

iCrazzy wrote: »
    Lord, no!!

Edit: Sorry for short answer earlier, but I was in a rush and on phone.

No, all you will know about one another at the HEAR orientation is that you're all HEAR candidates ... and once you blend with the general population, no-one else will know you used the HEAR route unless you tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Sooooooooooo is there many on here repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I repeated this year. The year will be over before you know it. It was the best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alexandrrax7

Yes.Me.Somehow excited. No more uniform life thanks God

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Anyone know when we should expect to get the date and time that we can come in to view the scripts?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

hasdanta wrote: »
    Anyone know when we should expect to get the date and time that we can come in to view the scripts?

Any day now. The schools send them out individually

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Hey guys!
    In the need of some advice. I accepted my place for Veterinary Medicine in UCD last Monday. I got a phone call today offering me a place to study vet in edinburgh and I'm a bit conflicted about what to do. Any advice? 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    In the need of some advice. I accepted my place for Veterinary Medicine in UCD last Monday. I got a phone call today offering me a place to study vet in edinburgh and I'm a bit conflicted about what to do. Any advice? ��

Suppose there's a couple of things to consider really. Firstly, which course would you prefer? Look at the modules for each course on the websites of the colleges and see if there's much of a difference and if there is, which one would you prefer.

A major factor would be the cost. Could you afford moving abroad? That being said it's probably just as expensive to live in Dublin as it is Edinburgh.

Is the Scottish course shorter? Sometimes British courses are only 3 years long and that might be better for you.

Lastly, do they both qualify you to work as a vet anywhere? I've no idea how veterinary works and if there's licences or whatever, but if you were qualified in Scotland would you be able to work as a vet in Ireland without too much hassle?

Advertisement