Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afternoon tea in The Greshem (or Shelbourne) reviews?

Options
  • 12-08-2015 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well for her birthday my daughter asked me about taking her for afternoon tea in either one.

The Shelbourne works out about €10 per head more expensive than The Gresham.

Any reviews or opinions on either?.. Or even an alternative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thebiglad

The Westbury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Merrion Hotel, Upper Merrion Street does a very good Afternoon Tea.

You can enjoy the tranquility of the Garden Terrace during the spring & summer months, while the Drawing Rooms, with their open log fires, are perfect for Afternoon Tea at any time of year.

?s=TWVycmlvbiBHYXJkZW5zIDJfMS5qcGd8Z2FsbGVyeS5tYWlufGltYWdlfA%3D%3D&ext=.jpg

Garden Terrace

drawing_rooms.jpg?itok=mwCRNkqT

Georgian Drawing Room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My favourite afternoon tea is Ariel house on Lansdowne road. Followed by Gallahers on D'Olier street.

Really don't think the Shelbourne is worth what you pay for it. Hate the Westbury, it's basically afternoon tea in the lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Plus one on Merrion - it's lovely and they do two courses to the Art afternoon tea. The regular one first with the tiered tray and then another trio of desserts based on the art in the hotel. Service is amazing and it feels like a real treat.

Westbury is nice but I know what athtrasna means about the lobby. The sandwiches come on a plate before the tiered try which I didn't like - prefer when it's all on the tray.

Westin is same in terms of tightness in lobby but it's very good value and they do an alternative afternoon tea where you can get mojitos instead of tea! If that would be suitable! You can get the regular one as well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1 for the Merrion. The food is fabulous and very clever (the art tea). Drinks ain't cheap though, so be warned if you stray off the menu.

We did an afternoon tea in the Shelbourne after it reopened after the huge refit, and it would have rivalled Fawlty Towers for ineptitude. They literally fecked up everything, from when we walked in the door to when an arm fell off my armchair and my sister discovered why her arse was so sore - the cushion was missing off her chair.

I've had very few dining experiences in the Shelbourne (that was the last) but they've all been some shade of disastrous.

Haven't been to the Merrion in a good while, but I'm a big fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There was a thread on this before, Merrion is the best, but it'll set you back €40. Westbury is famous for it, but seriously over priced.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91120426

If you love her you'll go for the merrion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ya canny bate a flask of tae and a hang sambo in that there Stephens Green..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Gresham is garbage and Shelbourne is overpriced.

Merrion and Westbury in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Shelbourne all the way.
    Had a gorgeous afternoon tea there at Christmas and the food was just delicious.
    The whole atmosphere and ambience just made it for me; nothing was too much trouble and it felt so elegant sitting among luxurious surroundings enjoying dainty sandwiches and gorgeous cakes.

Advertisement