Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 2 remake confirmed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Had a quick look at a few streams of the game before i bought it and i noticed for alot of the streamers the game seemed kinda washed out. For example areas that should be dark are bright and it made the whole torchlight feature pointless.

You can't just default the brightness settings, you gotta mess around with them to get that true darkness experience. Was ****ting myself in that gas station as i could barely see anything outside of my torch light. Legged it out of there with all these sounds and moans all around me in the darkness. Scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does Mr X stop following you? When he showed up for me I couldn't lose him until I left the station all together he was always only one door behind me at anyone time.

Really ramped up the tension though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally came across Mr X. Would ya look at the time, good time to head to be bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw that out of my 208 fwends on PSN, only 7 have played this. Jaysus, I know horror isn't for everyone but more people should be playing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck MR X

that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing in a dimmed room (totally dark is bad for the eyes, that's my excuse...) and headphones and I'm a jittery mess.

Nice touch too when Leon gets annoyed when you miss a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J. Marston wrote: »
    Playing in a dimmed room (totally dark is bad for the eyes, that's my excuse...) and headphones and I'm a jittery mess.

Nice touch too when Leon gets annoyed when you miss a shot.

Ugh, was flying through Leons game, finally came across a licker when i had the shotgun, decided to destroy him, expecting him to die fast, especially at point blank. Shot him twice, expecting him to die, he didnt, went to shoot a third, he flipped around, i missed, he smacks me (half health wanker), i then nail him right in the head and hes still ****ing alive, i reload pathetically and he just smashes my face in, i die and lose about 30mins worth of back tracking :(

What have they done to the shotgun? its poop :mad:

And juggling two pistols which have separate ammo with Leon is a pain in the hoop. I have his starting pistol full decked out and i never have enough ammo to even fully load it, and it has burst fire? :rolleyes:

Also, if i just walk with lickers around, they cant trace me at all? I tried taking it chill with the first one i came across, he ended up dropping from the roof right beside and immediately swiped and crippled me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Am I missing something or is their a sneak button I never noticed on PC or is walking basically sneaking if a licker is around for example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's telling that all the boards threads I subscribe to are silent, except this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

nix wrote: »
    Ugh, was flying through Leons game, finally came across a licker when i had the shotgun, decided to destroy him, expecting him to die fast, especially at point blank. Shot him twice, expecting him to die, he didnt, went to shoot a third, he flipped around, i missed, he smacks me (half health wanker), i then nail him right in the head and hes still ****ing alive, i reload pathetically and he just smashes my face in, i die and lose about 30mins worth of back tracking :(

What have they done to the shotgun? its poop :mad:

And juggling two pistols which have separate ammo with Leon is a pain in the hoop. I have his starting pistol full decked out and i never have enough ammo to even fully load it, and it has burst fire? :rolleyes:

Also, if i just walk with lickers around, they cant trace me at all? I tried taking it chill with the first one i came across, he ended up dropping from the roof right beside and immediately swiped and crippled me..

The shotgun sucks for dealing with Lickers, nevermind two of them at once, until you upgrade it, 8 rounds and faster shooting/reloading.

But in most circumstances you should be able to sneak past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is their a sneak button I never noticed on PC or is walking basically sneaking if a licker is around for example ?

Hadn’t been reading any tips and I think panic mode always set me off when I saw them so prior to this moment, it was all hell broke loose when I met them but here, I had no ammo left so I had no choice but to sneak but it shows you how close to them you can be without anything happening, just by walking slowly.

I met Mr X late last night and I took off and straight to a safe room, save and then bed...lol

It’s just a licker in the clip below, there was two more on the ceiling which you don’t see in the clip. This game is amazing!

https://xboxclips.com/CANTO%20CGI/1c31ee8a-d2b4-4c94-bd06-061a2d4004c7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I don't think I breathed once for the entirety of my first 4th Survivor clear -- good god, what a nightmare. Everything is thrown at you, including the kitchen-sink (which is a bio-weapon in disguise). To those who do unlock it, prepare for some trial and error -- and do yourselves a favour, turn on the REMAKE OST for it. The 'original' theme is a bit annoying and not very epic, whereas the Remake one has the oomph you'd expect when one badass mercenary is running from a literal army of horrors.

With that, my campaign(s) are complete (except Leon A and Tofu). I will hold onto hope that they incorporate a mercenaries or RAID mode down the road -- imagine how fun it'd be to play as Leon, Claire, HUNK, Ada, Marvin and Kendo in a full-on carnage mode. Sadly, I can't see them being able to randomize it due to the door system (unless they add old-school doorway loading screens to hide it and load people into random rooms), but I'd still enjoy a static version.

For those wondering, yes, if you complete an A campaign you unlock B for the other character, but it seems that if you complete either B mode, you unlock the other B as well without having to do an A again. 4th Survivor opened once the 'true ending' was achieved (and Tofu by clearing 4th with HUNK). So, chances are my time will dwindle and I may go back to Monster Hunter World given I'm not inclined to try for S-Ranks or unlock special weapons, nor improve my 4th Surv Score, but I will definitely be back if/when they add more to this gem of a game.

On that note, some closing thoughts:

RE2-R was both faithful to its origins as well as its own entity. Sure, the experience isn't identical (eg. Ada, Sherry, Kendo), yet it doesn't feel like a departure, merely 'modernized'. It looks great, it sounds great, and most importantly, it plays great. Not once did the game crash, not once did I encounter any detrimental bug, and any criticisms I might have would be pretty trivial. The zombies are the perfect blend of slow, menacing meatwalls that are avoidable (with care) but horrible to be caught by (and they're never at an unmanageable level), even if it does laugh at the concept of 'shoot them in the head' and make that a little less viable. Every single monster in the game looks (and especially sounds) awesome. It's still not full-on scary-mode, but it has the right amount of tension spliced with occasional AAAAHHHH moments that had me squirming in my seat. Once you get familiar with it, there's still enough threat to throw spanners in the works - and not once did the game fall upon cheesy jump-scare strategies.

I love the fact the music alternates based on the situation, yet also found times where the game was inappropriately vacuum-silent in some places, probably because the vast majority of areas have looping ambience at all times, even when checking inv/maps. It's also funny how Mr.X will simply give up because you've entered very specific rooms, even if it does make sense from a balancing perspective (he's persistent enough as it is).

Developers will have a hard time pushing something out that will best this title, though they have plenty of time to try. So with that, I tip my hat to Capcom - they're the company I've bought the most games from and they've been (mostly) consistent with them. Both remakes felt like a labour of love that honoured their past titles rather than rushed cash-grabs. If they consider remaking more (RE3 being the obvious choice), then I'm so there.

I enjoyed that read, excellent review!

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finally came across Mr X. Would ya look at the time, good time to head to be bed.

He's an absolute relentless dickhead.

Was in Tescos as I had to get a few bits for the house. Could have swore I saw the **** following me down the aisles I'm gone that paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just started In the sewers with Leon my clock reads around 5hours guys without spoiling do I still have around another 5hours play?
    I remember in the original once you hit sewers the game is practically fastracked to the lab really quickly does that happen here too?

The game is soo good I don’t want it to end lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ Ropedrink, great gameplay, pretty fecking tense alright, that music was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That Kendo scene :(

Damn you Ropedrink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

biggebruv wrote: »
    Just started In the sewers with Leon my clock reads around 5hours guys without spoiling do I still have around another 5hours play?
    I remember in the original once you hit sewers the game is practically fastracked to the lab really quickly does that happen here too?

The game is soo good I don’t want it to end lol

It took me 7 hours to finish Claire A standard, to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just finished my first game with Claire that an amazing game, cant wait to do leon in the b scenario now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,798 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He will continue following you forever unless you change areas. I haven't bothered to try but from what I understand he can't be killed either, or beaten enough for him to 'go away' for a while like you could do in RE2/RE3. There are certain areas he won't enter (eg. save-rooms -- except the main-hall, he will most definitely go there and chase you).

So, you have a few options: either have to shoot/flash grenade him until he drops to his knee (which is a waste - you'll buy a few seconds tops so best to keep it unless cornered and have no choice), keep running for at least three rooms (he will eventually lose you, which you'll know because his theme will stop playing), hide in a save-room until he goes away, and most importantly, keep quiet. Even if he's in a room with you and he hasn't seen you (you'll usually tell by the creepy music when he's genuinely chasing you) then you can 'walk' by him just like you can zombies & lickers, so if he's stomping around doing his usual hunt, keep the noise down and use his stomping to get a general idea of which direction he's checking. Once latched onto you you'll have no choice but to kite him. It's wise to lose aggro before going for certain things (eg. important items in dead-ends), but thankfully most areas have rooms or places where you can run around him or kite him around an object. He often does a damage-less throw if he catches you from behind, which is actually handy. He once saved me by throwing me away from two zombies and allowed me to run the other way, but don't rely on this - he can one-hit-kill you with his main-grab if you have no defensive items.

Example (of both my previous post and the above). I had the Club Key and needed to go down a hall with two zombies and two lickers, so the LAST thing I wanted is him following me down there as well. I used the small 'secret room' save area beneath the main-hall to hide from him until he went upstairs (the place I wanted was downstairs). This allowed me to just walk there safely, get my stuff, walk out (avoiding two zombies, two lickers, and not have to deal with Mr.X)

Now that I have the item, I have to (once again) kite him while sorting out the clock-work platform (sigh).

PS. Original Theme/Menu Sounds = Glorious!

What do you mean by "change areas"?

I just encountered him in Leon A. I didn't expect him at all. Faffed away some ammo and healing items before legging it. Some lickers have spawned which didn't help.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Can we confirm all of his start points in A and B
    in Claire A I first met him after putting the helicopter fire out and entering the hallway from the roof side.

I don't know if you can bypass him and get into the rest of the police station at that point.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Can we confirm all of his start points in A and B
    in Claire A I first met him after putting the helicopter fire out and entering the hallway from the roof side.

I don't know if you can bypass him and get into the rest of the police station at that point.

That's where he showed up for me in Leon A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,798 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

By 'change areas' I mean transitioning to a different part of the map. Mr.X primarily roams the police station and he can follow you for 90% of it, except certain save-rooms and specific areas, but he won't follow you into the sewers. In short, when you progress the story a bit you are typically given a breather from Mr.X until other events take place, so until you get that far, don't expect there to be any way to make him go away other than all the other things I listed in that post.

Ah right. Thanks.

Would it be possible to retreat to a save room and wait 'til he goes somewhere else or does he just wait for you?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

What's the playstation for "Esc"?

and how do you get S - what's the time, save limit and can you use f-aid spray?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    What's the playstation for "Esc"?

and how do you get S - what's the time, save limit and can you use f-aid spray?

Probably the start button Gim.

Right, so I basically have to deal with him harassing me while I wrap up RPD? That's quite crappy to be honest.

I still don't know about save rooms like the dark room? Does he just wait outside?

he'll walk away from a save room pretty quick but not very far
    I don't like the concept either

gimli2112 wrote: »
    he'll walk away from a save room pretty quick but not very far
    I don't like the concept either

Not a big fan. I've had to flee from the library twice. They spawned lickers outside the room of Ropedrink's video earlier. I see what they were going for but when you paint a huge target on yourself by using weapons, it spoils the game a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I think he was only around for about 35-40 minutes in RPD for me. Only had one issue, where I was on danger in a room with only one exit. He couldn't enter, but he wouldn't leave the next room. Some decent timing and running like hell after choosing a route and I was fine.

Goddamn but watching
    Ada smash him with that truck
    was satisfying. I do love the character designs in this game.

• Advertisement

Right, so I basically have to deal with him harassing me while I wrap up RPD? That's quite crappy to be honest.

I still don't know about save rooms like the dark room? Does he just wait outside?

I found running to the save room on the east side of the rpd, by the stairs to the basement a good way to get rid of him. Knee capped a few of the zombies and there are no lickers in that area. It's an easy route and he seems to respawn a good bit away from you when you head back to the lobby. Gave me a lot of breathing room to get things in order before I left the rpd.

Advertisement