Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 2 remake confirmed!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wonder what two of them do?

Two of the large pot combined gives you 50 handgun bullets

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd some craic killing the bloby yokes in the sewer water with the
    flamethrower [SPOILER/]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Rob2D wrote: »
    Can't decide if I would have liked RE6 style dodging and ground shooting in this. Initially I would have said no but after seeing how much faster the new zombies and lickers are, I think it would play well. Imagine diving out of the way of a licker attack, then spinning around on the ground to counter attack.

No thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd some craic killing the bloby yokes in the sewer water with the
    flamethrower [SPOILER/]

How bad are those to deal with? I've seen posts complaining about Tyrant online but some people think these lads are worse.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

How bad are those to deal with? I've seen posts complaining about Tyrant online but some people think these lads are worse.

I only had MAG rounds at the time so 4 of them into the squishy part does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can't decide if I would have liked RE6 style dodging and ground shooting in this. Initially I would have said no but after seeing how much faster the new zombies and lickers are, I think it would play well. Imagine diving out of the way of a licker attack, then spinning around on the ground to counter attack.

With a comment like that, you deserve to be injected with the T-Virus so we can use you as target practice. HERESY!

First one I killed grabbed me and I put a flash in it's mouth. Got 5 or 6 magnum bullets and it died (might have been another one or two though) but some of those were not to the eye. The weapon I mentioned above kills them really quick and they get stun locked so they can't attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Really glad I reloaded for the Magnum now!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I finished Leon B last night, and my only gripes between the two modes are
    with the weaving of the story unfolding with both characters. I wished they done a better job in making it so in B you're not doing the same puzzles or having the same boss fights in the exact same areas. as B is just meant to be the other half of the story, yet you're fighting the bosses in the same sections, and rescuing NPC's from the same section. And then the whole Annette Birkin, thrown against the wall twice, and still manages to shoot Ada through Leon from 20ft away, hah

I wouldnt have minded the same boss fights if they just took place in different areas, you could then easily argue the boss just took that much of a beating from both.. Heck, how cool would it be if william or Mr X showed up in Leon B's story with wounds or limbs missing from Claire A or vice versa. Would have added so much more depth, and not hard to pull off in the grand scheme of what they accomplished with this game..

Oh and in my opinion Leons play through was much easier than Claires, not just because of having more knowledge on what to do, im speaking solely with the dispatching of enemies. Mainly while in
    the nest, those plant monsters are a cake walk when you just flame thrower them to cinder and they dont respawn. With Claire it was constantly trying to dodge or using loads of nades/knifes to save yourself, and then they respawn anyway. With Leon i think i used up half my fuel reserves torching all of the plant dudes as soon as i saw them, then it was easy sailing
    :pac:

Oh and is it just me, or does
    Mr X
    kinda look like a bald Dolph Lundgren? :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

RopeDrink wrote: »
    kindly explain why were you even thinking it?

Well if they're going to go with 3rd person then might as well go all in. In for a penny in for a pound. And as you say, with enemies being so easy to get around with the new control scheme, it wouldn't be that ridiculous.
    and not playing as the scared, fresh-faced youngsters seeing the horror unfold for the first time

LOL, you mean the POLICE MAN and orphan biker chick who conceal carries and was taught to fight by her swat team brother. I think you're reaching a bit there. Need I remind you this is the series where we have a crack squad of special forces consisting of decorated air force sharpshooters, helicopter mechanic medics and delta force burglars all before they were 18! I think giving our heroes some new moves wouldn't be out of the realm of this world's "realism".
    This is RE2. Be thankful you didn't have to play it with tank controls like the originals

How dare you, I bought my RE1 and every other off the shelf and have earned my right to an opinion. I've been playing RE since some of the people in this thread were even born probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because sometimes great gameplay comes from restraint and restrictions. Ghould n'ghosts gets stick for not allowing the player to move when they jump but this mechanic means every jump is a commitment that needs to be carefully calculated. Same with old resident evil. Tank controls make the combat awkward but also adds to the game as combat is something you want to avoid especially at close range.

If you are jumping around like a special forces ninja then the enemies are no longer scary and you end up with something like Resi 4 where the number and intensity of enemies is ramped up but you lose that element of horror.... or like Resi 6 where they make a complete ballocks of it.

Well if they're going to go with 3rd person then might as well go all in. In for a penny in for a pound. And as you say, with enemies being so easy to get around with the new control scheme, it wouldn't be that ridiculous.

LOL, you mean the POLICE MAN and orphan biker chick who conceal carries and was taught to fight by her swat team brother. I think you're reaching a bit there. Need I remind you this is the series where we have a crack squad of special forces consisting of decorated air force sharpshooters, helicopter mechanic medics and delta force burglars all before they were 18! I think giving our heroes some new moves wouldn't be out of the realm of this world's "realism".

How dare you, I bought my RE1 and every other off the shelf and have earned my right to an opinion. I've been playing RE since some of the people in this thread were even born probably.

Its a dumb idea as you cant do it in real life, you could, but you run the risk of jump/sliding into glass/walls/corners of tables/lockers etc, which would ****ing wreck, heck you could knock yourself out. Also, doing it constantly and you would be ****ing knackered and constantly out of breath. The characters are highly trained and know this, so they don't do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There still needs to be limits on abilities and skills dependent on the type of game they're aiming for. Action game, yeah, abilities like that would work well. Survival horror though, it'd completely be at conflict with the rest of the game. And while in some areas it can be easy to dodge around and avoid enemies, with those kind of movement abilities it'd be far too easy to the point of absurdity.

Plus, the training Leon and Claire have affords them the ability to use firearms and protect themselves to a point, but doesn't mean they're experienced enough for the situation they're in to be able to do some of the things you're talking about. They need to be able to learn alongside the player (hence why they were chosen as protagonists for the original RE2 rather than Chris and Jill again).

I think the more action-orientated abilities of RE6 suit that type of game, but wouldn't suit this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the top posts on Imgur at the moment...

0JmKT0n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes, a rookie cop and a trained twenty-something, neither of which have ever seen anything like zombies and enormous mutants before. As Retro said, the whole point of what makes the old games tick is the fact you are both restricted AND in claustrophobic areas where you have to make use of the little space and tools given to avoid intimidating enemies casually walking towards you - and the remake was entirely faithful to this (just modernized). Even the camera angles are meticulously designed in a way to keep you from ever knowing what is waiting around that corner. Why would you fear it then if you can sprint around a corner and dodge back, or be safe in the knowledge that attacks could be dodged in some way even if you do run full-pelt right into danger? Those are the reasons Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 (the action games) are not in the slightest bit scary, throwing away those fear elements in a sea of QTEs or dodges or counter-attacks and animation-immunities that caused the divide which eventually led to 'getting back to roots' in the first-place. Even RE7 went back to basics and it would not have been as widely praised otherwise.

I love almost all the Resident Evil's, even the action ones, but there is absolutely nothing to be gained by breaking RE2's tone with action moves of any description and it would most certainly not feel like RE2 any more. They were survival horror titles. That stopped with RE4 and the success of Action Man Leon. That Leon was NOT the same Leon who was waiting to do his very first day as a Cop before finding himself in a zombie hell.

I actually would welcome another action man leon game if it was as well designed as RE4 was. That game is just insanely good. Fantastic level and game design and bosses. It had the pace of a great 16 bit action game.

That was all lost with RE 5 and 6. Everyone that made RE4 great moved to clover and platinum and a lot of their best games still carry that pace and design that RE4 had.

RE2 and recent Capcom output have seen them really knock it out of the park and they are back to knowing how to make amazing Japanese style games again. I think this new Capcom could do another Resi 4 properly. Also really looking forward to what they do with Devil May Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually would welcome another action man leon game if it was as well designed as RE4 was. That game is just insanely good. Fantastic level and game design and bosses. It had the pace of a great 16 bit action game.

That was all lost with RE 5 and 6. Everyone that made RE4 great moved to clover and platinum and a lot of their best games still carry that pace and design that RE4 had.

RE2 and recent Capcom output have seen them really knock it out of the park and they are back to knowing how to make amazing Japanese style games again. I think this new Capcom could do another Resi 4 properly. Also really looking forward to what they do with Devil May Cry.

I get what you are saying because I too loved Resi 4. However Resi 4 never had me scream at the slightest sound or make me jump out of my chair when a licker screamed right next to me causing me to move a little to fast and then just terror as I tried to run away because If it was Resi 4 I would be shooting to stun and kicking/thowing/krauser knife/arm with the invincibility frames that brings. It would change the whole feel of the game for the worse imo.

This game is the perfect mix of action and horror as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Always thought the last couple of chapters of RE4 it kinda fell off & turned into what RE5 tried to become. Basically after the Salazar fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

One of the top posts on Imgur at the moment...

0JmKT0n.jpg

Girlfriend?

Rory28 wrote: »
    I get what you are saying because I too loved Resi 4. However Resi 4 never had me scream at the slightest sound or make me jump out of my chair when a licker screamed right next to me causing me to move a little to fast and then just terror as I tried to run away because If it was Resi 4 I would be shooting to stun and kicking/thowing/krauser knife/arm with the invincibility frames that brings. It would change the whole feel of the game for the worse imo.

This game is the perfect mix of action and horror as far as I'm concerned.

Not saying it should be more like Resi 4. I think both types of games can exist side by side and I'd like another in the vein of Resi 4. Would just love an action game that's as good as it and not another chest high wall inspector simulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Free classic pixel costumes dropping the 15th as well. Jaysus Capcom you're spoiling us. Those stories sound good, little standalone stories. Sound Capcom.

Has anyone unlocked any of the unlimited ammo guns yet? Think I'll finish Leon A over the next few days and then do Claire A. Will probably try for one of them after that.

• https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-28-resident-evil-2-is-capcoms-biggest-launch-since-resi-7

Resident Evil 2 is Capcom's biggest launch since Resi 7

Not including digital...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm still on first play with Leon. Just made it to
    NEST
    . Those sewers were horrible. I ended up using all me ammo on those things that
    grab you and poison you
    . Had to face
    G for the second time with just the few bullets that are on the platform
    . Died a lot here. Came close to restarting and conserving ammo in the early stages. Shouting at the game, "NO I DON'T WANT TO SWITCH TO ASSISTED AIM MODE, I JUST HAVE NO AMMO". Got through it eventually but that was so stressful. I hope I'll be able to accumulate more bullets in the next section. Loving the game but it's causing my hair to turn grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone unlocked any of the unlimited ammo guns yet? Think I'll finish Leon A over the next few days and then do Claire A. Will probably try for one of them after that.

I got the infinate handgun. Easy enough once you know where your going. Might try for the infinate knife before a hard-core attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm mid sewers on Claire A. I made a conscious decision to leave
    the SMG in the STARS office as I didn't feel like trekking across the map running from X and lickers. Game only seems to give me SMG ammo though, no pistol bullets so I'm just legging it through the sewers. Found the revolver reinforced frame but does anyone know if it's worth using over the pistol or if it's solely for the high impact ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm mid sewers on Claire A. I made a conscious decision to leave
    the SMG in the STARS office as I didn't feel like trekking across the map running from X and lickers. Game only seems to give me SMG ammo though, no pistol bullets so I'm just legging it through the sewers. Found the revolver reinforced frame but does anyone know if it's worth using over the pistol or if it's solely for the high impact ammo?

I done the same. I said I’ll grab it later over been constantly harassed by him and then I totally forgot! Have a load of SMG ammo and all!

• Advertisement

I got the infinate handgun. Easy enough once you know where your going. Might try for the infinate knife before a hard-core attempt

What did you need for the unlimited hand gun?

Advertisement