Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 2 remake confirmed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Penn wrote: »
    Actually, is there any point going for the S+ on Standard? From a quick Google it seems you only really get rewards for getting it on Hardcore

I wasn't sure myself but I do remember thinking I'm never going to get the infinite rocket launcher so you may have to do it on hc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure myself but I do remember thinking I'm never going to get the infinite rocket launcher so you may have to do it on hc

Yeah it's not the lack of saves that worries me about Hardcore or the timing, it's more just the bosses. Most guides seem to suggest knife strategy (and infinite knife which I don't have yet either). Tried knife against G1 and didn't go well. Maybe I'll do both B scenarios and at least get the infinite knife, and improve my strategies against the bosses at the same time. If I'm still bothered (or if the DLC hasn't come out by then), I'll try for a hardcore S+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

So I attempted hardcore S+ Run last night

Made it to G1 under RPD
    made a save there at 30mins

Have barely any healing items and I just can’t see myself doing this the thoughts of dying at the sewers in the part with all the mutant poison monsters then being brought all the way back here before G1 boss is a nightmare lol
    They could have made this abit more forgiving imo no other resident evil is this extreme to unlock the rocket launcher

Even removing the 3time save limit would be much more helpful but yet still a challenge to do within 2 hours

anyone attempting an s+ run on hc is getting an automatic thanks.

in the interest of full disclosure I initially started playing it on assisted like a big baby

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    anyone attempting s+ run on hc is getting an automatic thanks.

in the interest of full disclosure I initially started playing it on assisted like a big baby

What's assisted?

• Advertisement

What's assisted?

Like putting training wheels on a Harley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's assisted?

It's where they move your character, aim the weapons, highlight the pick ups and you can't take damage. It's for big babies ;)

Yes it is quite easy. I stopped midway through the sewers because the item box was full.
    I took it primarily for the aim assist and my concern over Mr X, neither of which turned out to be as big a problem as I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's for big babies ;)

Hahaha :D

Yes it is quite easy. I stopped midway through the sewers because the item box was full.
    I took it primarily for the aim assist and my concern over Mr X, neither of which turned out to be as big a problem as I had expected.

Yeah I was in full-on panic mode when Mr.X started following me on my first playthrough, including twice staying in safe rooms for over 5 minutes before slowly walking out, and trying never to run. But after a while you see he's really not too bad. Can show up at awkward times and you can't just ignore him, but he's easy enough to work around while continuing on, especially when you know when he's likely to show up.

Wouldn't mind the aim assist though. I am not a good shot. It's why the SMG was so handy for Claire, just pray and spray at zombies legs.

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's where they move your character, aim the weapons, highlight the pick ups and you can't take damage. It's for big babies ;)

Oh gimli....

giphy.gif

yes it's the showing up at awkward times that's Mr X's forte. He's more frustrating than anything else. I've come to terms with his involvement in my game and have moved on to worrying about what Nemesis will be like, next.

yes it's the showing up at awkward times that's Mr X's forte. He's more frustrating than anything else. I've come to terms with his involvement in my game and have moved on to worrying about what Nemesis will be like, next.

Yeah I wonder what he'd be like. Never played the original RE3, but from watching Youtube videos of the original RE2 and RE3, it seemed like the only real thing to do when confronted with Tyrant/Nemesis was to shoot the hell out of them. Whereas now in the RE2 Remake, because ammo is so much scarcer, your tactic for Mr.X is mostly just avoid him as much as possible. I wonder will that be the same for an RE3 remake, or if you'll be encouraged to try fight him more.

I also had it in my head that I never finished the original RE2, or that maybe I only finished Leon's story. But from watching videos of the original, I think I did complete both scenarios. I just didn't really remember most of it. The whole
    Chief Irons
    part I have absolutely zero memory of, yet I remember bits from after it. Then again, it was 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RE3 you had the option to run from Nemesis or knock him out.

The problem was you would get some great items from knocking him down which was a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder what he'd be like. Never played the original RE3, but from watching Youtube videos of the original RE2 and RE3, it seemed like the only real thing to do when confronted with Tyrant/Nemesis was to shoot the hell out of them. Whereas now in the RE2 Remake, because ammo is so much scarcer, your tactic for Mr.X is mostly just avoid him as much as possible. I wonder will that be the same for an RE3 remake, or if you'll be encouraged to try fight him more.

It would be cool, if on top of searching for the usual keys/items to unlock doors etc, you also had to scrounge for items to set up traps, like blowing up a pillar so the roof caves in on him, or knocking him off a roof to be impaled. And thats how you could get him off your back for awhile. That way ammo findings could stay the same and you still wouldnt have to spend any ammo on him..

And then when you revisit where he was "killed" he could pull a Mike Myers and be gone and you would be freaked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I fcuking hate those lickers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

little bit off topic but if anyone still has there PS3 set up or hanging about like myself the Resi Evil Super Bundle is currently on special on the PSStore at the bargain price of €10.00 :):):):)

This bundle contains the following Resident Evil games currently available on PlayStation®Store: Resident Evil™ 1, Resident Evil™ 2, Resident Evil™ 3, Resident Evil™ 4, Resident Evil™ 5 Gold Edition, Resident Evil™ 6, Resident Evil™ Code Veronica X, Resident Evil™: The Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil™: The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil™: Operation Raccoon City.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    RE3 you had the option to run from Nemesis or knock him out.

The problem was you would get some great items from knocking him down which was a no brainer.

Yeah I wasn't sure on that. The quick clips of videos I saw, one did have two options but both seemed like fight options rather than fight or flight.

So yeah maybe if he was stalking you around like Mr.X but also had more scripted sections where he shows up out of nowhere, and is more present throughout the whole game, that could be pretty great.

There's no doubt they're making RE3 Remake as we speak. And in fairness to them, from watching videos of the old RE2 the work they put into this remaster is huge. I know some people complain about the lack of differentiation between the scenarios, lack of things to investigate that were in the original and stuff like that. But they really did a huge job modernising the game while still staying very true to the spirit and general gameplay of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

recyclops wrote: »
    little bit off topic but if anyone still has there PS3 set up or hanging about like myself the Resi Evil Super Bundle is currently on special on the PSStore at the bargain price of €10.00 :):):):)

This bundle contains the following Resident Evil games currently available on PlayStation®Store: Resident Evil™ 1, Resident Evil™ 2, Resident Evil™ 3, Resident Evil™ 4, Resident Evil™ 5 Gold Edition, Resident Evil™ 6, Resident Evil™ Code Veronica X, Resident Evil™: The Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil™: The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil™: Operation Raccoon City.

Damn thats a good deal. Is that on steam too?

The problem with fighting nemesis was you had to pick your battles. If you fought him the first time you'd end up using all your ammo and much of your health and end up with gun parts, other times he'd drop health, I think 3 FA sprays. There were certain useful drops but in 100% of the cases you were better of running.

Once I got infinite weapons I could take him down each time but at that stage you didn't need to and it was never really worth it anyway.

• Advertisement

The problem with fighting nemesis was you had to pick your battles. If you fought him the first time you'd end up using all your ammo and much of your health and end up with gun parts, other times he'd drop health, I think 3 FA sprays. There were certain useful drops but in 100% of the cases you were better of running.

Once I got infinite weapons I could take him down each time but at that stage you didn't need to and it was never really worth it anyway.

The handgun upgrades made it more than worth it imo. Plus when you've played back to back to back you get the hang of the dodge mechanic it makes it easier.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour - avoid the RE2-R Steam Community. It is rife with people whinging and 'campaigning' for Capcom to 'fix their damn game'. When those are asleep, it's the crowd who still try to believe that Leon/Claire + 2ndRun are parallel stories. As with most things in life, everything will just have its own crowd of 'unhappy no matter what'. Criticism is one thing, but bashing Capcom or regarding everything they don't like as instantly 'broken' is another.

Toxic communities are the worst aspect of gaming. Its just a bunch of miserable sods whinging.

Has to hit weak-spot and be charged on hitting it. I use it against Birkin 3 (Lab), otherwise I leave it in the box as you tend to have more usable/less finnicky weapons and had the entire half of the game to stock up ammo for them. I still regard Claire as having the best weapons overall and the easiest campaign.

Maybe G4 was just a lot more tank-y than I'd assumed he'd be. The end-boss for Leon-A didn't seem like half as much trouble
    (don't know if Ada gives the rocket launcher after a set period of time or when you do a certain amount of damage to Mr.X).
    G4 just seemed to take everything even though I was fairly consistent at hitting him in the eyes (though I did miss the charge maybe 3/12 or so shots).
    Do yourself a favour - avoid the RE2-R Steam Community. It is rife with people whinging and 'campaigning' for Capcom to 'fix their damn game'. When those are asleep, it's the crowd who still try to believe that Leon/Claire + 2ndRun are parallel stories. As with most things in life, everything will just have its own crowd of 'unhappy no matter what'. Criticism is one thing, but bashing Capcom or regarding everything they don't like as instantly 'broken' is another.

Not on Steam, just here and Reddit. Completely agree though, the individual parts of each characters stories are fine, but everything else like unlocking doors, puzzles etc should just be taken as gameplay and not canon. It'd be impossible to do more than that without just having completely different locations for each character. Plus it's based on a 21 year old game. There's nothing wrong with how similar the campaigns are imo.

All the faff about ab senarios is ridiculous when I replayed the old re2 I always just did Leon a or Claire A and called it a day the changes where not worth replaying over again just to see them little bit of cutscenes

I like how everything is condensed in the remake
    And at least they broke up some enemies and areas between Claire and Leon so both have very different middle paths and different final boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

biggebruv wrote: »
    All the faff about ab senarios is ridiculous when I replayed the old re2 I always just did Leon a or Claire A and called it a day the changes where not worth replaying over again just to see them little bit of cutscenes

I like how everything is condensed in the remake
    And at least they broke up some enemies and areas between Claire and Leon so both have very different middle paths and different final boss.

Well you're missing out on a good chunk of the story by just playing one of the characters, not to mention trying out different weapons. This goes for both versions of the game.

nix wrote: »
    Well you're missing out on a good chunk of the story by just playing one of the characters, not to mention trying out different weapons. This goes for both versions of the game.

Ohh I always played a b back in ps1 days but recently whenever I have gone back to play re2 I just do 1 senario run

Same with Chris and Jill in re1 I play either character then move on I don’t play both back to back

Having to play the game 4times to see the whole story bits string together would not wash with today’s audience like back in ps1 at least if you choose to play Leon a Claire b you will have seen all of the games story content in 2 runs

Started Claire B last night. Did not go well. Infinity pistol not as big a help as I thought it'd be. Zombies in the main hall. No item box in the main hall. Killed by a Licker in the West Hallway.

Hadn't saved, so I'll probably just restart it and use a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So eh... I'm in the sewers and i done goofed and wasted all my ammo. Back a few saves i go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Vicxas wrote: »
    So eh... I'm in the sewers and i done goofed and wasted all my ammo. Back a few saves i go!

What were you shooting at? I found I needed 75% of my ammo for the last hour of the game.

• Advertisement

ZiabR wrote: »
    What were you shooting at? I found I needed 75% of my ammo for the last hour of the game.

Can definitely see how you could use a lot of ammo in the sewers. Between the G-adults, the area with the rook plug which has about 5 zombies at once, and some areas that just have zombies in awkward spots you can't really get past without killing them... it can eat through your ammo quick enough. Learning how to get past the G-adults safely without engaging them helps, but isn't foolproof either.

Advertisement