Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 2 remake confirmed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's both, really. Hardcore means the enemies hit harder and take more hits (plus you have less resources in general, eg. healing and ammo) but the difficulty is still adaptive. For the most part you should only need to worry about bosses. A lot of speed-runners are doing no-damage hardcore runs in about an hour, knifing bosses, not bothering to kill many zombies etc etc.

If you're going to practice hardcore, practice hardcore - doing another S run in a normal campaign won't tell you much other than help you remember the map/puzzles. That won't matter if a zombie puts you right from Fine to Critical out of the blue. As said, just try it. It's the best practice if you legitimately want an S+. Get a feel for it, then the rest is just map/backtracking efficiency like all the others.

Started last night and just going for it as you suggested. Doing alright I think, made it to Chief Iron's office in about 45 mins for my first save. A few near misses here and there and used more healing items than I'd have liked, but getting there. Following a guide I found on Reddit.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Only worth while if you're on pc, and the frame rate is high, otherwise it's a nightmare

I've found you can take a good chunk out of G1 at the start with the knife while he's still confused before you have to get some distance. And for G3 when he's down and his eyes are exposed, repeatedly slashing him in the back (as I've seen speedrunners do) still seems to do as much damage as shooting him in the chest but conserves ammo.

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    The machine gun is in the
    STARS Office
    but you need an item to get it. Provided you are not playing on the hardest level you'll be grand otherwise it will be tough.

Wait where's all your bullets and rocket launcher rounds? If you've used them all at this point, you'd both want to take a good long hard look at yourselves :)

Say What?? :confused:

Say What?? :confused:

Think he meant grenade launcher. Though you can unlock infinite rocket launcher by completing Leon Hardcore with an S+ (infinite minigun for completing it with Claire).

• Penn wrote: »
    Think he meant grenade launcher. Though you can unlock infinite rocket launcher by completing Leon Hardcore with an S+ (infinite minigun for completing it with Claire).

I wish there was standard grenade rounds like RE2 & RE3 tbh.
    That was the one thing I questioned as I only manage to have flame and I also create acid rounds.

I wish there was standard grenade rounds like RE2 & RE3 tbh.
    That was the one thing I questioned as I only manage to have flame and I also create acid rounds.

I'm kinda glad there isn't tbh. Would take up more inventory space, and the flame rounds are great against most enemies (particularly lickers and plants), while the acid rounds are great against the G bosses. I think standard grenade rounds would just be largely redundant.

• Advertisement

• Penn wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad there isn't tbh. Would take up more inventory space, and the flame rounds are great against most enemies (particularly lickers and plants), while the acid rounds are great against the G bosses. I think standard grenade rounds would just be largely redundant.

I think maybe more in line with blowing multiple limbs of the zombies would be cool. But maybe overpowered all things considered and affect the balance somewhat.

Would be a cool kind of "fun" type dlc or mod or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The machine gun is in the
    STARS Office
    but you need an item to get it. Provided you are not playing on the hardest level you'll be grand otherwise it will be tough.

Wait where's all your bullets and rocket launcher rounds? If you've used them all at this point, you'd both want to take a good long hard look at yourselves :)

Yeah made the mistake of using them on Birken when I should have been aiming at his eye with the pistol☹️

I think maybe more in line with blowing multiple limbs of the zombies would be cool. But maybe overpowered all things considered and affect the balance somewhat.

Would be a cool kind of "fun" type dlc or mod or something.

I think that's where the infinite rocket launcher comes in. Fun, but you have to earn it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

apologies I got the rocker launcher / grenade launcher mixed up. It's a fairly safe bet I'll never get the RL.

apologies I got the rocker launcher / grenade launcher mixed up. It's a fairly safe bet I'll never get the RL.

Depending on how well my minigun run goes, I might try it. Leon's scenario is definitely harder though. The grenade launcher, Sherry's section being easier than Ada's, lickers rather than dogs in the basement...

Then again, the minigun might be more than enough fun for me :D

How many times have you played through the game gimli? It does get a lot easier the more you play. Still tense and easy to get hurt, but with a good guide on what to do/where to go, and maybe watching a few speedruns (even just to see where/how people dodge/avoid enemies rather than engaging them), it's honestly not that bad. I wouldn't discount getting the rockets/minigun just yet. It's definitely achievable. I mean, I'm sh*tting myself doing it, but I know it's achievable :D

• Advertisement

I actually haven't completed it. I'm putting a ton of time into BFV and got distracted by Titanfall2 last week. My problem is I started on Easy and then said ok now I understand the mechanics restarted on normal. I'm trying to do it fast enough for an s. While 3 hours is loads of time I'm a bit of an eejit so when things go even slightly awry I'll quit and restart at the last save.

For example the other day I got confused with the queen and king chess pieces and locked myself in a cage with a zombie. Just quit and went off to drive a tank in BF.

• Out of interest why quit and load save? Why not just continue?
    Unless I'm missing something on the speed-runs. (I haven't attempted any yet but will do on easy to get infinite pistol when I get time)

If you continue it tacks it onto your time, whereas if you restart it resets the clock. The downside of loading is you bypass the difficulty adaptability, so the game doesn't take into account how crap I am at it.

Out of interest why quit and load save? Why not just continue?
    Unless I'm missing something on the speed-runs. (I haven't attempted any yet but will do on easy to get infinite pistol when I get time)

I don't think you can get the infinite pistol on Assisted mode. Only Standard or above. I went to Assisted mode for one of Claire's runs just to get all the Mr.Raccoons for the infinite knife, though had to do some with Leon too in another playthrough, but from what I've seen you can't earn any infinite weapons unless you're on at least Standard mode with an S rank.

But yeah as gimli said, continuing also continues the clock whereas loading sets it back to your last save, so if going for an S or S+ it's better to load your last save (though for S+, can only save a maximum of 3 times. So if you die, could set you back half an hour or more).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd rather just play it normally instead of sucking the fun out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I finished playing my first game as Claire last night. Preferred playing her over Leon.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd rather just play it normally instead of sucking the fun out of it?

Fair enough but people get their fun in different ways. As long as it's not cheating in an fps I couldn't care less how people want to approach a game.

I always get a kick out of youtubers crying out about something like camping and then you watch some of their videos and they're "defensively holding down" an area. I go mental when I get killed in BFV by someone using the tactics I regularly employ but I'm irrational in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I actually haven't completed it. I'm putting a ton of time into BFV and got distracted by Titanfall2 last week. My problem is I started on Easy and then said ok now I understand the mechanics restarted on normal. I'm trying to do it fast enough for an s. While 3 hours is loads of time I'm a bit of an eejit so when things go even slightly awry I'll quit and restart at the last save.

For example the other day I got confused with the queen and king chess pieces and locked myself in a cage with a zombie. Just quit and went off to drive a tank in BF.

Should just play it through the first time blind. Best way to get a good time is to get familiar with it. I also managed to lock myself in that cage. Saw a flamethrower and got over excited. I screamed so loud my roommate came in to laugh at me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah might even be quicker than going for a s rank first time and stopping and starting.

Probably a false economy the way you are playing it. I gather you are going for achievos/trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm nearly finished Claire A at the moment and if I get an S Rank on Normal ill go back and do both Leon/Claire B runs and then ill go for speed runs for the S+ or to tidy up any other trophies im missing.

It took me about 8 hours to do Leon A while i was exploring every little piece of the map, I'd say I'll just nick in under the 3.5 hrs to get an S Rank with Claire A.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't know why I'm playing it this way, it's just how it ended up. I'm about an hour and ten minutes into my "s" run and faffed around for about 3 hours on the easy. Once I get the pistol with unlimited ammo I'll probably do Claire A again but at a more leisurely pace and just leave zombie bits all over the place

As a matter of interest for those of you doing/done the s+ run where did you save? Spoiler so as to not give anything away to people who don't want to know.

Yeah I don't know why I'm playing it this way, it's just how it ended up. I'm about an hour and ten minutes into my "s" run and faffed around for about 3 hours on the easy. Once I get the pistol with unlimited ammo I'll probably do Claire A again but at a more leisurely pace and just leave zombie bits all over the place

As a matter of interest for those of you doing/done the s+ run where did you save? Spoiler so as to not give anything away to people who don't want to know.

I'm following an online guide for Claire's scenario.
    It says to save at Chief Iron's office, sewer puzzle room (with the chess pieces, save when you first reach it) and start of the lab. I guess for Leon's equivalent instead of Chief Iron's office you'd save in the break room after the basement.

• RopeDrink wrote: »
    Er, acid rounds do this already. Shoot a zombie with acid and watch them walk for a bit until their body-parts just crumble and all they can do is crawl at you.

Didn't know that. I've only ever used the rounds on lickers or bosses tbh

Made it to the sewers last night as Calire. Doing okay with regards S+, have banked a good few herbs, lots of gunpowders and a few grenades.

It's the G-Adults that I know are going to f*ck me up. My first two playthroughs I could get past them easy enough, maybe grabbed once (usually by the one leading to the rook plug). Since then though they keep f*cking me up. Going to watch a few speedruns of that section again to see how they avoid them.

At least they'd be early enough in the section too that I wouldn't lose much time if I had to replay it a few times.

Penn wrote: »
    Made it to the sewers last night as Calire. Doing okay with regards S+, have banked a good few herbs, lots of gunpowders and a few grenades.

It's the G-Adults that I know are going to f*ck me up. My first two playthroughs I could get past them easy enough, maybe grabbed once (usually by the one leading to the rook plug). Since then though they keep f*cking me up. Going to watch a few speedruns of that section again to see how they avoid them.

At least they'd be early enough in the section too that I wouldn't lose much time if I had to replay it a few times.

I just done it last night.

Got grabbed once on the way back from the room with the gate puzzle after collecting all the plugs.

I'd suggest having at least 1 grenade handy in case you are grabbed but watching a few speed runs, getting to that room is easy enough, the 2nd G adult will come out of the water but if you hit him with a strong weapon he'll be staggered.

Its on the way back thats a lottery, if theres none of them by the door, just run down the left hand side of the sewer but stay to the right of the G Adults and you'll come to a piece of sewer you can climb on, as soon as you umo down off that youre close to the ladder on the way out but another will pop out, what I do is jump straight up to the right, let him attack and get down as hes attacked behind him and get to the ladder.

I've only got caught once doing this but with a grenade at least you wont get poisoned.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I just done it last night.

Got grabbed once on the way back from the room with the gate puzzle after collecting all the plugs.

I'd suggest having at least 1 grenade handy in case you are grabbed but watching a few speed runs, getting to that room is easy enough, the 2nd G adult will come out of the water but if you hit him with a strong weapon he'll be staggered.

Its on the way back thats a lottery, if theres none of them by the door, just run down the left hand side of the sewer but stay to the right of the G Adults and you'll come to a piece of sewer you can climb on, as soon as you umo down off that youre close to the ladder on the way out but another will pop out, what I do is jump straight up to the right, let him attack and get down as hes attacked behind him and get to the ladder.

I've only got caught once doing this but with a grenade at least you wont get poisoned.

Yeah I've just found it to be hit and miss, especially on the way back from the plug room and on the way to get the rook plug. Some times I've gotten through without incident, but when they catch you it can end up in hit after hit.

Ya, I was lucky enough to get away with one grab, usually on the way back, one of the first play throughs I had no grenade and after getting poisoned, its really easy to get caught down there and destroyed.

One thing I have to say is, I thought the voice actors and performers did a great job throughout. A lot of the performances and moments were really fantastic.

Except Chief Irons, who I found to be awful most of the time. Voice didn't suit the character at all and his performance was very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Managed to get the machine gun and the extra button for the key pad to get the extra slots. Bloody forgot about the electronic part above Irons office though, I might do It last.

• Advertisement

Just have to face Birkin in the labs (Claire A) will get an S Rank for it, currently on about 1hrs 52 mins.

I've only saved it 3 times but I forgot about the mini-gun only being obtainable for S+ on hardcore. :o

Advertisement