Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options
  • 12-08-2015 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I've just received the Amazon Fire TV box (£59 bargain alert) from Parcel Motel, and the unpacked box and cable are lying here on the table beside me. I've been reading threads on boards.ie about great sideloading apps etc, and I am under no illusion as to its limited capability in Ireland.
    I know that none of the Amazon.co.uk features will work outside the UK, and the best I can expect (for now) is to use it as a streaming device. I have (and really like) Chromecast, but this is a new toy with benefits (Kodi?), I hope.

My simple question is, when I plug in the box and go through a 'setting up' sequence, I am sure they will require me to register the Amazon Fire TV box to an amazon.co.uk account. My account knows where I live (i.e. Ireland), so will it refuse to register me and/or block it/stop it from working as a streaming device?

Will it only work if I go through a smart DNS or similar? Or can I skip the registration (even though Amazon have already emailed me to congratulate me on my purchase when I ordered it ;()

I am hoping somebody will tell me that it will work like a Chromecast with sideloading apps. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

No, it will assign the box to your Amazon account but the only streaming service that won't work without a new DNS is Prime.

Sideloading is so very simple, you just make sure Debugging is enabled in the settings on the Fire TV and use an app called AGK Fire. This allows you to just push any installed apps or APK's / files from your Android device over.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googletv.sideloader&hl=en

The best apps to sideload are listed below:

http://sideloadfiretv.com/top-apps-to-sideload-to-your-amazon-fire-tv/

But first app to push is a Launcher (like Nova / Apex but designed for FTV that will replace the local one). Screenshot below too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

firestarter_screenshot_01_small.png

An app called YouMap Cast Receiver can imitate your FTV as a Chromecast so you have the best of both, only cost's a few euros too.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/12/youmap-chromecast-app-for-fire-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭muloc

I've the fire TV a few months now....didn't have to register anything on setup.

I just loaded kodi....that's all I use it for.
    You'll also need to install another app (can't remember the name) to hijack so you can point this to kodi otherwise you've to go thru the menus to get to it.
    this will give you access to kodi from the homepage.

kodi runs very nicely on fire tv

also I have no dns so not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

muloc wrote: »
    ....You'll also need to install another app (can't remember the name) to hijack so you can point this to kodi otherwise you've to go thru the menus to get to it...
    Yup that's the launcher I've posted called FireStarter (in the screenshot).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

Thanks advertsfox & mulan for your help and reassurance. It gave me the confidence to take the plunge this evening and plugged it in after work, when I knew I had the time to turn to youtube when all else failed.
    So here's my update.
    Either I am something of a tech wizard (not really, but I'm a bit amazed at what I've got to work), or anyone who's had a bit of life experience with installing programs on their computers, and are not 'too' afraid' of downloading off-the-grid apps (not found in iTunes or Google Play, but downloaded from 'developer websites') can do it, with loads of YouTube tutorials to guide the way. There is a lot of fiddling about to do though. To get this level of utility is not for the fainthearted.
    I didn't have to use the 'cmd' function on my Mac to type in any code, but there was a lot of 'installing apks' (FireLauncher, Kodi) and 'extracting zips' (fusion, husham) and update after update after update later....I have a tv streaming device that blows my Chromecast and AppleTV out of the water.
    I can't get Google Play to give me the option to buy the YouMap app/apk on my Mac to fully replace the Chromecast, but there's a trial apk for free until Aug 31st from a website-and I've seen that it's ideal, so I would buy it.
    The Amazon Fire TV is an excellent buy (for sideloading apps). Thanks again.

Advertisement