Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom F2000/Huawei HG659b as Access Point

• 12-08-2015 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

I had a go at this earlier with an Eircom F2000 and ran out of time. Has anyone achieved this? I want to use it as an access point only as it has an 802.11ac radio.

It doesn't like not using the wan, it keeps loading the failed internet connection html page. I tried to configure the Ethernet Wan but can't get it to work, if i give it an IP it want's to NAT, if I enable bridging it disables the Wlan.

Any help would be great, Google hasn't thrown up anything useful. I've flashed the Huawei HG659b firmware but it doesn't seem to have any differences to the stock Eircom firmware. The F1000 may have similar GUI so may be the something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Hi,
    Yeah I have this working.
    The main one on the incoming line is the F1000 (flashed with VMG8324-B10A) - working with 2 blueface sip extensions.

The main thing I did was change the F1000 to 192.168.3.1 and just defaulted the F2000

I have the main IP of the F1000 set to 192.168.3.1.
    And a Fixed IP setup on the F1000 of 192.168.3.2 specifically reserved for the F2000 using its MAC address.

F2000 Versions:
    Hardware version: VER.B
    Firmware version: V100R001C59B019

The reason I went for the 192.168.3.0 range on the F1000 was because as far as I can tell the dot 2 range is reserved for guest networks.

I have to plug in to the F2000 or go on the 5GHz wireless to log on to it as I cannot reach it 'from the outside' (directly to its WAN port from the F1000) - I get the page but it does not take the username/password that I can use on its LAN.
    Other than that no issues at all.
    I don't have the 5GHz guest or the 2.4GHz turned on - only the 5GHz standard and that works fine as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'll try again later. Maybe that's the problem, I was trying to go give it an ip in the subnet of my main router. How have you connected the f2000 to your main router, lan or wan? Which Mac address did you reserve lan or wan? I have an f2000 bridged modem with a Mikrotik router as my main router using the 10.10.0.0/24 subnet. I also only want to use 5ghz radio and don't want guest, the Mikrotik gas a very powerful 2.4ghz radio do I'll be sticking with that, it has a hotspot set for guests.

Just a connection from the main F1000 (any LAN port) to the Main (Blue) input socket on the F2000
    The MAC address of the F2000 WAN Port GE WAN-1 shows up on the main initially then I reserved the 192.168.3.2 for it on the main.

I also have Mikrotik setup on a different provider and could try it on that.
    But really all I did was default the F2000, give it my own password and turned off the DSL/VDSL
    It has its own subnet which is the default 192.168.1.1
    The F2000 gives out DHCP to the 5GHz clients or if you plug in on the LAN

So on the F2000 the Ethernet WAN is UP and the WLAN 5GHz is UP
    LAN's 1-4 are enabled but only show up if plugged in which also works.

Also (Less relevant) I have the WPS set to OFF and Firewall Disabled on the F2000

• Advertisement

Ah, there's an issue, I do not want it giving out DHCP, I need my Mikrotik handling all my DHCP so I can connect to services running on my server

Well on any DHCP address given out by the F2000 (in the allocated DHCP range) I have been able to access the F1000 main with no problems.

65535 wrote: »
    Well on any DHCP address given out by the F2000 (in the allocated DHCP range) I have been able to access the F1000 main with no problems.

Yes, but you have it routing, you are NATing twice, your F1000 sees the Wan ip of the F2000 as source address which is why you can access it. I do not want this situation, I want it like a true access point with a single subnet and my Mikrotik handling all routing and DHCP. What you have done is pretty easy, it's a router, it wants to route, where I want to stop it routing and bridge LAN or WAN to the WLAN.

Um... OK but it's working...
    It is not ideal but for the amount of users that can actually use the 5GHz on their devices I am just using it as another access point. If I need access to the network I don't go through it, I go to the main device.

"I want to use it as an access point only as it has an 802.11ac radio."

65535 wrote: »
    Um... OK but it's working...
    It is not ideal but for the amount of users that can actually use the 5GHz on their devices I am just using it as another access point. If I need access to the network I don't go through it, I go to the main device.

"I want to use it as an access point only as it has an 802.11ac radio."

I think you don't fully understand the definition of an access point. By definition an access point is a layer 2 bridge allowing wireless access to a wired LAN, it does not route, it operates at layer 2 only. It does not create a new subnet like you have done. It should be the same as cabling to a switch to extend your network, all devices end up in a single broadcast domain.

Your setup while it's ok for most isn't good enough for me as I have some bandwidth shaping and time restriction rules set on the Mikrotik by Mac addresses which will not work

• Advertisement

Indeed, however I would not have the amount of end users for that and with the types of kit that I put on the LAN here it is probably preferential not to have the same broadcast domain.

And since that F2000 was just sitting there all nice and shiny and I had no 802.11ac...

I have Mikrotiks but need to do some work on joining 2 providers and doing some selective routing based on IP destinations.

Oh I don't gave a big network with lots of devices, I have teenagers and their friends :D

Oh I don't gave a big network with lots of devices, I have teenagers and their friends :D

Ha yeah I had all of that when landlines and big unexpected bills were the norm!

Advertisement