Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Of Laneway Construction

Options
  • 12-08-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi - we need to put in a 330m laneway to access a site for building. The ground is ploughed currently and there is no rock anywhere.

It does not need to be pretty but it needs to be sturdy enough for construction traffic and also suitable for cars, so I assume it therefore needs large stone below and smaller stone on top with compaction.

Does anyone have any idea how you calculate quantity of stone / materials and time involved for this - or have a rough idea of cost?

( I have checked previous posts but most have rock underneath which obviously inflates cost considerably. )

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

s2sap wrote: »
    Hi - we need to put in a 330m laneway to access a site for building. The ground is ploughed currently and there is no rock anywhere.

It does not need to be pretty but it needs to be sturdy enough for construction traffic and also suitable for cars, so I assume it therefore needs large stone below and smaller stone on top with compaction.

Does anyone have any idea how you calculate quantity of stone / materials and time involved for this - or have a rough idea of cost?

( I have checked previous posts but most have rock underneath which obviously inflates cost considerably. )

Thanks

Will it be permanently placed after the building is complete?
    If yes then it will have to match your planning application.

With regards to hardcore build up, and stone fill etc, is your engineer not designing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 s2sap

kceire wrote: »
    Will it be permanently placed after the building is complete?
    If yes then it will have to match your planning application.

With regards to hardcore build up, and stone fill etc, is your engineer not designing this?

Yes it will be permanently placed after completion but at this stage I just want a rough idea of cost to get something usable into place to gain access, because if this is going to be too expensive we might have to rethink.

An engineer will be involved at a later date when we proceed to build start.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

As a (very!) rough guide 330m at say 4m wide = 1320m2 surface area

You will need to excavate at least 150-250mm to find solid ground (depends on local ground conditions) - taking average of 200mm this equates to 264m3 of rough quarry stone.

Take density of stone at appox 2000kg/m3, therefore you will need approx. 528 tonnes (about 20-25 loads) at approx €120-130 each!!!

For the smaller stuff to blind the hardcore, i would allow another 10 loads at a similar rate.

Labour is going to be approx. €200 per day and allow a week for excavation/infill/compaction etc. I had a 100m driveway to do and had all this calculated out - we hit a soft spot at the front of the site (previously poorly filled) and i lost another 3loads of stone into this pit!!! So take these figures as a very rough guide and prepare yourself for unknowns!!!

good luck, hope this gives you some idea!

PK

• Registered Users Posts: 19 s2sap

PROJECT K wrote: »
    As a (very!) rough guide 330m at say 4m wide = 1320m2 surface area

You will need to excavate at least 150-250mm to find solid ground (depends on local ground conditions) - taking average of 200mm this equates to 264m3 of rough quarry stone.

Take density of stone at appox 2000kg/m3, therefore you will need approx. 528 tonnes (about 20-25 loads) at approx €120-130 each!!!

For the smaller stuff to blind the hardcore, i would allow another 10 loads at a similar rate.

Labour is going to be approx. €200 per day and allow a week for excavation/infill/compaction etc. I had a 100m driveway to do and had all this calculated out - we hit a soft spot at the front of the site (previously poorly filled) and i lost another 3loads of stone into this pit!!! So take these figures as a very rough guide and prepare yourself for unknowns!!!

good luck, hope this gives you some idea!

PK

Thanks PK that gives me some figures to work on - really appreciate your time

Advertisement