Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Grain Questions

Options
  • 12-08-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All
    I have done a few batches of all grain and they worked out great but I have a few questions.

1. When Sparging I Get It Very Hard To Get The Water To Pass Through The Grain Is This Normal?
    2. After Sparging Does It Matter If There Are Bits Of Grain In The Wort?
    3. After Boiling I Get Alot Of White Cloudy Stuff In My Fermenter Is This Normal?

Thanks To All In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You will get a better answer here

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

boboboland wrote: »
    Hi All
    I have done a few batches of all grain and they worked out great but I have a few questions.

1. When Sparging I Get It Very Hard To Get The Water To Pass Through The Grain Is This Normal?
    2. After Sparging Does It Matter If There Are Bits Of Grain In The Wort?
    3. After Boiling I Get Alot Of White Cloudy Stuff In My Fermenter Is This Normal?

Thanks To All In Advance

1. I take it you are flysparging? Sparge slowly so you fo not compact the grain bed. Sparge temp shouldbe about 78 C .
    2. Ideally no bits of grain end up in the boiler as you could get tannins from boiling them.
    3. You might be on about cold break or trub from the boil. A hopfilter helps have the wort clear going in to the fv. There might still be cold break in the fv even if wort is pretty clear but is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 boboboland

mayto wrote: »
    1. I take it you are flysparging? Sparge slowly so you fo not compact the grain bed. Sparge temp shouldbe about 78 C .
    2. Ideally no bits of grain end up in the boiler as you could get tannins from boiling them.
    3. You might be on about cold break or trub from the boil. A hopfilter helps have the wort clear going in to the fv. There might still be cold break in the fv even if wort is pretty clear but is ok.

1. Yes i am fly sparging how long should it take it takes me about an hour to get the water through is this normal? i was using 80 c to sparge.
    2. Ok thats good enough i must be more careful so.
    3. yea turb. it looks clear goin to the fermenter but after a while all this stuff forms and settles too the end of the fermenter. should i remove this?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

boboboland wrote: »
    1. Yes i am fly sparging how long should it take it takes me about an hour to get the water through is this normal? i was using 80 c to sparge.
    2. Ok thats good enough i must be more careful so.
    3. yea turb. it looks clear goin to the fermenter but after a while all this stuff forms and settles too the end of the fermenter. should i remove this?

An hour seems normal for fly sparging. Leaf hops act as a good filter when used with a hop strainer. You could try whirlpooling when cooling and use a siphon to take the clear wortfrom the side of the fv.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

I just tie a stocking onto the end of the tube going into the fermenter, this filters out most of the trub. its handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement