Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untidy Sky wires coming out of wall

Options
  • 12-08-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for a steer here. Just after renovating a house and I have 3 TV points in the house. The only one we use is the Living Room TV. When the electrician heard we were getting Sky he said I didn't need a TV socket so left the area bare. The builder said it was up to the Sky engineer to tidy them up however all he did was cut the wires shorter.

Who's responsibility is it to tidy up the wires?

What is the right thing to do to hide them?

By not having an aerial socket does it mean I can't get Saorview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

by rights the electrician should have presented in a single gang outlet, with blank on it.

That's the right way to cover up - if electrician is already paid and can't be got to do it, the pieces can be bought in any hardware store and fitted easily

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

Thanks for the reply, I don't understand how it could be left like that, I presume it can be got in brushed chrome like the socket switch.

Is saorview a non - runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

crossvilla wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I don't understand how it could be left like that, I presume it can be got in brushed chrome like the socket switch.

Is saorview a non - runner?

it's one of those no-man lands in electrical installations - UPC & Sky have their own presentation requirements, and end up usually ripping off what any electrician puts on the wall, so electricians have stopped terminating them (I don't blame them really)

Saorview should be a runner - if I understand you correctly, the cables are installed for Sky, so it stands to reason the other end is on the roof somewhere? The Sky dish needs a view of the southern sky (south east I *think*) so hopefully there's a Saorview transmitter on that aspect of your house that you can get an antenna for.

This page helps figure that out:
    http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

And of course, yes, you can get brushed stainless steel faceplates for TV outlets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Was it the electrician who ran the cables for the TV? Do you know what kind of cable he used as some sparkies tend to use low loss RG6 which is pure ****e. If you are getting Sky and the cables are sufficient for the job then the Sky installer will sort out the cables for you. It does not rule out Saorview but why are you looking to get Saorview if you are getting Sky installed as the Irish channels are carried on Sky already so no need for Saorview.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

obezyana wrote: »
    If you are getting Sky and the cables are sufficient for the job then the Sky installer will sort out the cables for you.

Good luck with that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

2011 wrote: »
    Good luck with that :D

Haha yeah I should of said any good installer will sort it out.

Advertisement