Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help and advice please!!!

• 12-08-2015 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

i have always wanted to do primary school teaching. however i only got 440 points and would need approximately 465. if i choose to repeat can i choose to do 6 subjects and not do english,irish or maths as i got the necessary grades already

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

This is from the Independent newspaper website, hope it helps some bit!

Q: If you repeat the Leaving Certificate do you have to do all the subjects again?

A: The quick answer is: No, you do not. Third level colleges will generally accept subject requirements from different year's exams, although points are calculated on the basis of the results of your six best subjects in one year's sitting.
    What you repeat depends on your reasons for repeating. Some students repeat because they wish to increase their points. So obviously, such a student would have to sit six subjects.

When students are repeating for the purpose of improving their points, they need not repeat subjects in which they have satisfactory results. Effectively, they often leave behind two or three of their original subjects which they have already passed, for example, English, Irish or Maths, unless they particularly enjoy doing these subjects or need to get a better grade in one of them.
    They usually repeat four or five of their original seven and frequently take up one or two new subjects for the first time. Teachers in charge of a "repeat" class will give advice on the subjects most appropriate for a student to take in this manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always do an Arts degree first and then something like Hibernia for teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

No you don't have to repeat any subjects as long as you passed them the first year. The exception is medicine. I'm a repeat student and had to repeat all my subjects again!! It's soooo worth repeating, I ended up with 605 points this year compared to last year where I was devastated. I promise you,you won't regret it :D

Advertisement