Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound waste charges increase

Options
  • 12-08-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Greyhound just emailed me to say my current household waste charge is going from e12 per month to e17. That's a 42% increase! Has anyone else dealt with them over this? Do they do loyalty offers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Arbie wrote: »
    Greyhound just emailed me to say my current household waste charge is going from €12 per month to €17. That's a 42% increase! Has anyone else dealt with them over this? Do they do loyalty offers?

Did they offer a justification?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Did they offer a justification?

No, they just said:

Dear Customer,

It's now been over a year since Greyhound Household gave you an unbeatable price on your household waste collections and now that it's time to renew your service plan with us we can assure you that you will be availing of the best price advertised in the market.

The price plan for your next years' service will be €17.00 per month starting from XXth of Month Y 2015.

With this plan there are NO lift charges, NO weight charges and NO upfront annual charge. It covers all your collections with no hidden extras. We also have plans available where you can pay up-front for 12 months with no hidden charges or pay an annual charge up-front and you simply pay per lift after that.

Next Steps:
    1. If you are happy to go with the €17.00 per month plan then all you need to do is make sure your Greyhound account has sufficient credit by the XXth of Month Y 2015 and on the same date each month thereafter.
    2. If you would like to switch to any of our other available price plans, you must call us on 1890 98 99 98 so we can schedule this change on your account or send us an email referencing your account number
    3. Please refer to our different "Ways to Pay" here.

We would like to thank you in advance for your continued custom and support.

Best wishes,
    The Greyhound Household Team

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Got the same. Time to shop around.

I thought they might have mentioned that the pay by weight coming in might increase costs but if it's a straight up increase...

That said, if it's a decent service €17 isn't that bad. Certainly less than what I'm paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I thought they might have mentioned that the pay by weight coming in might increase costs but if it's a straight up increase...

That said, if it's a decent service €17 isn't that bad. Certainly less than what I'm paying.

Apparently by weight will save most customers money, thats why they didnt want it to be introduced. €17 per month is still cheaper than DCC old service, plus my bins are alway emptied now and fully emptied(it was hit and miss with DCC)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There have been some hit and miss weeks with Greyhound as well over the past few months.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Apparently by weight will save most customers money, thats why they didnt want it to be introduced. €17 per month is still cheaper than DCC old service, plus my bins are alway emptied now and fully emptied(it was hit and miss with DCC)

It should save money. I know Thorntons specified an increase which would be returned if you were outside the weight bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheMightyI

Pretty sure i've been paying €15 in D7 for Greyhound for the past year or so. Haven't received notice of an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm on a per-lift charging basis in D3 , it went from a €7 min charge to €9 a while back, a similar % increase. Not sure if the per KG charge went up as well, or we're better off putting out heavier bins to not get screwed by this new minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I thought it's illegal to offer a flat rate for refuse collection as it doesn't encourage the household to send less to the landfill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

As far as I'm concerned, it should have been illegal for DCC to unilaterally sell off its refuse service (that was once paid out of general taxation) to the private sector (whose charges have increased way in excess of inflation) without giving any regard to public opinion and also without any disclosure of the amounts involved (citing "commercial reasons" as the lame excuse for not publishing how much they sold it for)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    I thought it's illegal to offer a flat rate for refuse collection as it doesn't encourage the household to send less to the landfill.

Introduction of forced by-weight charging has been delayed repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Yakuza wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, it should have been illegal for DCC to unilaterally sell off its refuse service (that was once paid out of general taxation) to the private sector (whose charges have increased way in excess of inflation) without giving any regard to public opinion and also without any disclosure of the amounts involved (citing "commercial reasons" as the lame excuse for not publishing how much they sold it for)

I totally disagree. DCC were losing tens of millions on the waste collection service. The service provided was ****. Every few months our bins were never collected ( has never happened with the new bin companies). DCC got rid of everything they couldn't compete on. Why should the tax payer subsidies the ridiculously expensive and poor service. Plus all waste is now hand sorted and recycled. Hardly any of it goes to landfill anymore (black bins are hand sorted)

Greyhounds increase is large. But it's still a lot cheaper than DCC old service. Which was like €300 a year. Greyhounds €12 must have been a promotional offer. As it doesn't make economic sense to collect over 1000 liters of waste for €12 a month.

Irish bins are still super cheap. A black bin is about €35 a month in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I've called every company listed on the DCC page and only Greyhound and Thorntons serve our road - oddly enough some other companies collect from houses 10 metres around the corner. Thorntons are even more expensive than Greyhound, so no option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The service provided was ****. Every few months our bins were never collected ( has never happened with the new bin companies).

Experiences vary. My bins never went uncollected by DCC but both Oxygen and Thorntons have failed to collect multiple times.
    Plus all waste is now hand sorted and recycled. Hardly any of it goes to landfill anymore (black bins are hand sorted)

That's seems unlikely. Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,303 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pay by weight is all very good in theory... I wonder what the pay by weight charge is for all the rubbish dumped that DCC then has to go and clean up since bin chages were brought in.

Bin collection was about the best thing DCC used to do, have had more no shows from Greyhound in 5 years than DCC in 20.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/finding-ways-to-save-on-bin-charges-is-worth-the-effort-1.2335169

A helpful article in the IT outlining the different options from the bin companies

Advertisement