Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim-free phones, why the price disparity?

Options
  • 12-08-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

H'llo all, was recently looking to buy a sim-free (new) Galaxy S5 and noticed a major difference in pricing between Argos and Carphone Warehouse. The former has S5s for about 465 euro, the latter for about 700 euro!

Can anyone explain the huge difference in price? Am i missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Because you are buying the phone locked to a network. Therefore, you are going to be buying credit with that network. However, unlock codes are cheap to come by these days, so most just buy them from whatever network is cheapest, and unlock them right after.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Techmaster wrote: »
    Because you are buying the phone locked to a network. Therefore, you are going to be buying credit with that network. However, unlock codes are cheap to come by these days, so most just buy them from whatever network is cheapest, and unlock them right after.

I asked in Argos and they said the 460 euro model was sim free and sim unlocked. No network. The 700 one in CW was also sim free and not tied to a network, as far as i could tell.

When i pointed out the disparity to the staff minion in CW, he just shrugged and said he has no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

stannis wrote: »
    I asked in Argos and they said the 460 euro model was sim free and sim unlocked. No network. The 700 one in CW was also sim free and not tied to a network, as far as i could tell.

When i pointed out the disparity to the staff minion in CW, he just shrugged and said he has no idea.

That would be CW's pricing then. No other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Techmaster wrote: »
    That would be CW's pricing then. No other reason.

Fair enough. Maybe CW's strategy is get dough from the suckers who don't bother to shop around. Or CW couldn't be bothered to check what price others are selling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Fair enough. Maybe CW's strategy is get dough from the suckers who don't bother to shop around. Or CW couldn't be bothered to check what price others are selling at.

CPW prices differ. Shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

If an S5 is 360GBP on Clove, why would anyone pay CPW €700 for it?

Argos might be cutting the margins tight, but CPWs pricing sounds like gougery to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Sure argos have the Lumia 640 cheaper than you can get it directly from MS. And have the 640XL, which MS don't even sell from the Irish store, cheaper than you will get it else where. So it really doesn't surprise me to see them undercut CPW

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

iPhone is cheaper in Argos than what it is from Apple direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can anyone explain the huge difference in price? Am i missing something here?

People are lazy and dont shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

beauf wrote: »
    People are lazy and dont shop around.

Not even that, I can't imagine there's much profit margin on SIM free phones. Might not be worth their while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

250 euro difference seems quite a bit.

Even on locked phones there can be 50% difference between networks and the unlock is only 10-20%.

Advertisement