Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a pre pay meter

Options
  • 12-08-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, we are hoping to move to a new house soon, it currently has a pre pay meter installed which we dont want and are wondering about the cost/procedure for having a regular meter installed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

What's the cost associated with fitting and the cost for removal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ben.schlomo,

Thanks for your post.
    Hi, we are hoping to move to a new house soon, it currently has a pre pay meter installed which we dont want and are wondering about the cost/procedure for having a regular meter installed.

Usually a Pay As You Go meter can simply be deactivated with a code we provide and thereafter function as a standard meter, and there wouldn't be any charge for this. However, in other circumstances the meter may need to be removed by the provider who originally installed it.

If you can send us details of the property by private message (the MPRN and address) we can check this for you.

Thanks,
    David

Hi cerastes,
    cerastes wrote:

For an electricity Pay As You Go meter, there is a service charge of 19c per day but no charge for installation. And as mentioned above, we don't charge to remove the meters we install; we simply send a code to deactivate the Pay As You Go mode.

For gas Pay As You Go meters, there is a once-off installation charge of €110.35 (incl. VAT) which is applied to the meter, and a removal fee of €199.13 (incl. VAT).

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hi ben.schlomo,

Thanks for your post.
    Originally posted by ben.schlomo

Usually a Pay As You Go meter can simply be deactivated with a code we provide and thereafter function as a standard meter, and there wouldn't be any charge for this. However, in other circumstances the meter may need to be removed by the provider who originally installed it.

If you can send us details of the property by private message (the MPRN and address) we can check this for you.

Thanks,
    David
    Thanks David, i'll pm when i have details so.

No problem. In case it helps, we have lots of general information about moving house/transferring accounts here on our website.

If there's anything else we can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What us the process for having a PAYG gas meter removed? It is on supply with EI but I'm missing out on discounts with it in place and not to mention it's a massive pain in the hole to top up, especially in the rain.

Hi cerastes,
    Originally posted by cerastes

For an electricity Pay As You Go meter, there is a service charge of 19c per day but no charge for installation. And as mentioned above, we don't charge to remove the meters we install; we simply send a code to deactivate the Pay As You Go mode.

For gas Pay As You Go meters, there is a once-off installation charge of €110.35 (incl. VAT) which is applied to the meter, and a removal fee of €199.13 (incl. VAT).

Regards,
    David
    So, a potential customer would be better starting with Bord Gais, who charge nothing to install either meter and only the same charge to deinstall the gas meter, Ive been told the same about the deactivation of an electric meter by Bord Gais, ie a module on it is deactivated by a code supplied to the user.
    No problem. In case it helps, we have lots of general information about moving house/transferring accounts here on our website.

Regards,
    David
    Nothing about pre pay meters that I can see

Bord Gais don't offer PAYG Electric as an option, only to those in arrears with them. They do charge for install on PAYG Gas meters it's just not up front and is actually the same as EI's charge.
    I work in another end of energy and I swear to God if BG offered me electricity for free I wouldn't take it. A terrible company to do business with.

Bord Gais don't offer PAYG Electric as an option, only to those in arrears with them. They do charge for install on PAYG Gas meters it's just not up front and is actually the same as EI's charge.
    I work in another end of energy and I swear to God if BG offered me electricity for free I wouldn't take it. A terrible company to do business with.
    Well, I enquired on behalf of someone else about this and what you mention about electric meters was never mentioned, the individuals may be in arrears, but they do offer it, you say they offer it to people in arrears so you contradicted your self, it is available and it doesnt cost anything to install, plus as per the changing back, its a code sent out to the user, that is on the basis of what I was told in the last few days.
    Their charges may change? but I have enquired this week and there is no upfront charge, this is what I was told, if its not upfront, where is it? the only charge I am aware of is, the 199.13 charge to uninstall a prepay gas meter back to original (non prepay).

If it was free, Id take it, obviously, it never will be, that said, Ive been with Bord Gais (BG) a few years myself after being with Electric Ireland (EI) for one year having been with BG before that, I find BG better, EI arent terribly worse, but in my experience getting set up they screwed it up so I couldnt log in and access my bills and that put me off them as it took so long to sort, plus the stated gains never materialised, in fact the blurb when I looked back on it was in percentages and when you worked it out there was damn all difference, cents.
    Whereas I could utilise tesco vouchers and double the value off my gas or electric bill, that amounts to more than any saving EI purported to  offer, even though I hardly use Tesco anymore.
    I was with someone else very briefly who were terrible, oh yes, Airtricity, now they had terrible customer service

cerastes wrote: »
    Well, I enquired on behalf of someone else about this and what you mention about electric meters was never mentioned, the individuals may be in arrears, but they do offer it, you say they offer it to people in arrears so you contradicted your self, it is available and it doesnt cost anything to install, plus as per the changing back, its a code sent out to the user, that is on the basis of what I was told in the last few days.
    Their charges may change? but I have enquired this week and there is no upfront charge, this is what I was told, if its not upfront, where is it? the only charge I am aware of is, the 199.13 charge to uninstall a prepay gas meter back to original (non prepay).

If it was free, Id take it, obviously, it never will be, that said, Ive been with Bord Gais (BG) a few years myself after being with Electric Ireland (EI) for one year having been with BG before that, I find BG better, EI arent terribly worse, but in my experience getting set up they screwed it up so I couldnt log in and access my bills and that put me off them as it took so long to sort, plus the stated gains never materialised, in fact the blurb when I looked back on it was in percentages and when you worked it out there was damn all difference, cents.
    Whereas I could utilise tesco vouchers and double the value off my gas or electric bill, that amounts to more than any saving EI purported to  offer, even though I hardly use Tesco anymore.
    I was with someone else very briefly who were terrible, oh yes, Airtricity, now they had terrible customer service

To say I'm contradicting myself is quite pedantic, the only way to get a PAYG Electric meter from BG is to get an RM280 which in English is a Debt Meter and it works the same way as all of the other suppliers

As for the gas meter no upfront charge means every time you top up they deduct 25% to recoup the 110.53 until it is clear

• Advertisement

Hi LollipopJimmy,
    What us the process for having a PAYG gas meter removed?

You would just need to get in touch to request it (in this case it would be best to ring 1850 30 50 90; an appointment can normally be arranged over the phone). The Pay As You Go gas meter removal fee of €199.13 (incl. VAT) would be applied to your bill.

Regards,
    David

Regards,
    David
    cerastes wrote:
    Nothing about pre pay meters that I can see

Hi cerastes,

Apologies for any confusion. The above reply was in response to ben.schlomo's post. You can find further information on Pay As You Go on our website here.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Thanks David, I asked somebody last year who til me I need to speak to Bord Gais Networks. Glad to hear it can be done through yourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi LollipopJimmy,

We're glad we can help.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Brige

Advertisement