Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap but lovely hotels close to newgrange

Options
  • 12-08-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

Don't know if I'm in the right place but I'm hoping to get to newgrange and need a wee hotel to stay over in, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

We will be relying on public transport and taxis.

I spotted a wee deal for a hotel in trim but I don't know if that's going to be too far from newgrange, can anyone help please????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think you'll find any hotels close by - would you consider B&Bs?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RuasMum

spurious wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find any hotels close by - would you consider B&Bs?

I'd prefer a hotel but yes I'd consider a B&B, any suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Newgrange lodge hostel is very lovely for a hostel. The rooms are like hotel rooms. Most have a double and a single bed and are ensuite. They are small but comfortable. I've only stayed when the place is block booked by a large group but it has lovely seating areas and serves food and has a lovely atmosphere. The social areas are well separated from sleeping areas so it should be nice and quiet. It's a very short walk to Newgrange.

It's so good to get some honest feedbac.. Thank you i'm getting mixed reviews on everything!!

Do you(se) know anything about a place called dalys of donore???

I was told it's only a short distance away from newgrange also!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

You would need to get a bus or taxi to Newgrange from Dalys. Here's the timetable for the bus, although it is quite limited:

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1434551765-163.pdf

The bus goes from Drogheda, so you could also consider a hotel there. Without knowing your overall plan, there would be a lot more to do in the evening in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

You would need to get a bus or taxi to Newgrange from Dalys. Here's the timetable for the bus, although it is quite limited:

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1434551765-163.pdf

The bus goes from Drogheda, so you could also consider a hotel there. Without knowing your overall plan, there would be a lot more to do in the evening in Drogheda.

Our main attraction would be to visit newgrange and relax in a lovely hotel, we will be relying on public transport so location is very important!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

RuasMum wrote: »
    Our main attraction would be to visit newgrange and relax in a lovely hotel, we will be relying on public transport so location is very important!!

You should try and stay in Navan. Plenty of hotels and taxi's. Slane is nice, but its a bit too small for plush hotels and instant taxi's, and Droheda is a kip. Trim is too far away, it would be like staying in ballsbridge to get to the airport. Lovely town though, worth a visit all on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

newmug wrote: »
    You should try and stay in Navan. Plenty of hotels and taxi's. Slane is nice, but its a bit too small for plush hotels and instant taxi's, and Droheda is a kip.

A lot of people would say Navan is far worse than Drogheda.

You should try and stay in Navan. Plenty of hotels and taxi's. Slane is nice, but its a bit too small for plush hotels and instant taxi's, and Droheda is a kip. Trim is too far away, it would be like staying in ballsbridge to get to the airport. Lovely town though, worth a visit all on its own.

This is great advice, do you know any lovely hotels that won't cost a fortune??

This is great advice, do you know any lovely hotels that won't cost a fortune??

I suppose the aptly named "Newgrange Hotel" would be the main one. Not sure about the price though. Its right in the middle of town.

Then there's the Ardboyne Hotel. Nice too, but again, I dont know the price. But its a bit out of the town, maybe 10 minutes walk.

Maybe I'm being harsh on droheda. If you do go there, be sure to call into the church on the main street for a few prayers. Saint Oliver Plunketts head is preserved there, and its on display. Cool thing to frighten the kids with!!!:pac:

• Advertisement

You'll need to get a taxi to Newgrange if you stay in Navan.

Sure you'd need a taxi to get to Newgrange from any hotel! I think thats a given.

No, there's a bus that goes from Drogheda, which is why I suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I would suggest staying in Drogheda. I live there myself (but am a blow-in!). The D hotel is central and nice (I have stayed there). Also the Westcourt in middle of Drogheda but do not know what the bedrooms are like.

I have eaten in Dalys in Donore. Food is fine but have no idea what the accommodation is like. Donore is tiny and I would not imagine there is much happening- night or day.

I have also been to Newgrange Lodge (did not stay there but did see the bedrooms). They are fine but basic. However, it is the middle of nowhere and there would be little to do. Do not think they have a restaurant either.

appleb wrote: »
    I would suggest staying in Drogheda. I live there myself (but am a blow-in!). The D hotel is central and nice (I have stayed there). Also the Westcourt in middle of Drogheda but do not know what the bedrooms are like.

I have eaten in Dalys in Donore. Food is fine but have no idea what the accommodation is like. Donore is tiny and I would not imagine there is much happening- night or day.

I have also been to Newgrange Lodge (did not stay there but did see the bedrooms). They are fine but basic. However, it is the middle of nowhere and there would be little to do. Do not think they have a restaurant either.

Thanks that's very helpful, we have been to drogheda and dundalk before, it seems to be a good base to check out newgrange however we've never been to navan and I like the village life so I'm intrigued :-)

Any ideas how much a taxi would be??

Any ideas how much a taxi would be??

I got an estimate of 30 - 40 euro using this: http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

I got an estimate of 30 - 40 euro using this: http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

Wow and wow!!!

€40 for a taxi that's insane!!!

And wow again because I never knew this taxi fare estimator existed!! Impressive :-)

No way would it be that much. I got a taxi from Slane to Trim recently (about twice the distance) and it was E35. I'd say you'd easily get from Navan to Newgrange for E20

No way would it be that much. I got a taxi from Slane to Trim recently (about twice the distance) and it was E35. I'd say you'd easily get from Navan to Newgrange for E20

Slane to Trim is 27km and Navan to Newgrange is 20km, so depending on traffic, 30 to 40 euro sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Stay in Slane, Conninghams Arms Hotel, nice, close to Newgrange (taxi/shuttle?), Slane castle, nice walks. Done!

padjo5 wrote: »
    Stay in Slane, Conninghams Arms Hotel, nice, close to Newgrange (taxi/shuttle?), Slane castle, nice walks. Done!

Thanks padjo I think I've seen offers on grabone for that hotel too, any idea how much a taxi would be to newgrange from there??

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Its less than 5 miles so should be very reasonable. If you can chat you might be able to sort a lift from someone.....

padjo5 wrote: »
    Its less than 5 miles so should be very reasonable. If you can chat you might be able to sort a lift from someone.....

Hahaha I've been told I have the gift of the gab so I'm sure I'll work something out!!

Am I dreaming or did you not say that you stayed in Navan and spent one day in Trim Ruasmam?

Am I dreaming or did you not say that you stayed in Navan and spent one day in Trim Ruasmam?

Your dreaming newmug iv been to drogheda and dundalk alright and a few years ago I visited trim castle but apart from that I've never been to navan or seen anything else trim had to offer!!

Advertisement