Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending that bit extra

Options
  • 13-08-2015 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

On cosmetics. Is it worth it. Do you find you always get what you pay for? Only recently I upgraded to a more expensive foundation. Still only slightly above midrange but I have found the difference amazing.

I have lots of bits and pieces like shadows and glosses that were expensive but normally use my cheaper stuff. Im not sure is it because I don't like to waste my 'good' stuff or is it because its any better. I love a lot of things I got in boots and never found the need to rely on something more expensive before now.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I think with foundation and concealer its best to pay more as its like paint the cheaper brands are not as good and the colours not so true. I bought a Collection 2000 concealer and the colour was crap so quickly back to my Estee Lauder Double Wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've always liked my premium foundations, particularly Chanel ones and Double Wear, but recently I've been using a Maybelliene one I bought during a make up emergency (tee hee I wasn't even joking when I typed that!) and I really like it.
    If I was only allowed to buy one type of expensive cosmetic I'd stick to eye shadow, find NKD2 hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

I've a mix of both high end and budget. It's nice to use high end stuff but its also satisfying to find a budget/ high street version that works just as well or even better than high end.

Don't really understand the logic of not wanting to use nice stuff up though. They'll just go off and that's a waste of money!

I've a mix of both high end and budget. It's nice to use high end stuff but its also satisfying to find a budget/ high street version that works just as well or even better than high end.

Don't really understand the logic of not wanting to use nice stuff up though. They'll just go off and that's a waste of money!

Totally agree - I actually meant to make that point too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It depends on the product. I use a Garnier eye makeup remover that is really cheap and works as well as an expensive one. I love my Urban Decay foundation and Naked Palette eyeshadow. I've tried cheaper eyeliners but always go back to Lancome. I've never found an expensive lipstick I like so I stick to a No. 7 one I get cheaply if I have a money off voucher. I tried the Aldi P20 style sunblock and it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

I know you're probably right. I have really nice stuff still not even opened over a year! I will use something nice this weekend to go with my new found love Iglot HD foundation!

When I first came across my previous foundation (Revlon Colour stay) it was during a make up emergency too! I had a break out on my skin and my foundation wouldn't cover. I did a quick google to get something cheap and fell in love with it. I have moved on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I also use a combination of high end and budget. Foundation is one product where I will stick to high end products. Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation and Revlon Colorstay being the only exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I just buy whatever catches my eye really or whatever I think I'll like or have heard good things about/read favorable reviews on. It doesn't matter to me if it's from a high-end brand or if it's cheap.

Today I wore Max Factor foundation, yesterday I wore NARS. I switched to Max Factor today because I was unimpressed at how the NARS foundation wore throughout the day (it's new). My overall favorite foundation is Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua but I'll happily wear a drugstore brand too. Sometimes high-end is better, sometimes it's not. I feel like it depends on your skin type, your personal preference regarding how things look, maybe even just what you're doing on a particular day and how it influences product performance.

I've never been the type to keep things or use them sparingly if they're high-end though. If I love something, it's getting used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I went through a mad phase of buying expensive make-up and skincare, largely because I have pretty bad skin and I thought spending more money would make the problem go away. Lo and behold, the acne is still there, and I've given up on spending a small fortune on things. I still like to buy high-end make-up, particularly base products, but I don't feel the need to buy ALL of them like I did before. It's more a case of buying things as I need them rather than accumulating tonnes of products I end up not using. My favourite high-end brands are NARS and MAC.

As for skincare, I'm sticking to mid-range brands like La Roche-Posay and Eucerin. Brands like Sunday Riley and Oskia are just too expensive considering they might not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My make-up bag is a mish-mash of both high-end and high-street products.

Over the years, I dabbled with high-street foundations but switched to Estee Lauder DoubleWear when I couldn't find the right shade for my skintone.

Switching to DW was the best thing I ever did.
    Not only did I find my exact shade, but I was so impressed at how flawless my skin looked after applying it.
    It also lasts all day and feels weightless on.

When it comes to eyeshadows, I have a mix.
    I have the UD Naked 2 palette, but I don't love it, to be honest.
    I find it a bit patchy and crumbly.

On the other hand, I'm in love with my quad eyeshadow palette from Essence and use it regularly.
    But I also have a quad palette from Dior which is beautiful.

When it comes to mascara, I'm high-street all the way, because for me it's never about the product but the actual wand.
    I find the thin rubbery wands the best for giving you length.

So yeah, it's a bit of a mix, but I guess the majority of products I own are probably high-street.
    If I love something, it doesn't bother me how much it cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

I use a mixture of both too, have to say I have yet to find a foundation to beat my Mac one, its expensive but lasts really well on me so its worth it imo

Just for the fun of it I decided on Friday night I would only use my more expensive products, within reason, to see how well the worked and lasted. Also because I'm in love with my new foundation. So I went with the following:

Prep: Lancome hydra zen moisturiser and pro primer

Face: Inglot cream concealer and HD perfect cover up foundation. Mac mineralise blush (Fab!) and bronzing powder

Eyes: Mac electric cool shadow. Urban decay super curling mascara (amazing product), 24/7 velvet glide pencil and ink for eyes precision pen.

Lips: Chanel Rouge Allur lipstick and Lavrez scintillantes gloss. Used a cheap revlon lip liner as I have nothing expensive that matched the colour (sorry girls :) )

Nails: Dior vernis true colour

Conclusion: Im definitely going to wear my good products more often. I got lots of kind comments from my friends and was really happy with the results. Everything lasted well and I felt more confident. Thanks for the advice here whats the point in letting it go off. I love my make up I don't know why I was keeping the expensive stuff for special occasions! Made no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

fussyonion wrote: »
    My make-up bag is a mish-mash of both high-end and high-street products.

Over the years, I dabbled with high-street foundations but switched to Estee Lauder DoubleWear when I couldn't find the right shade for my skintone.

Switching to DW was the best thing I ever did.
    Not only did I find my exact shade, but I was so impressed at how flawless my skin looked after applying it.
    It also lasts all day and feels weightless on.

When it comes to eyeshadows, I have a mix.
    I have the UD Naked 2 palette, but I don't love it, to be honest.
    I find it a bit patchy and crumbly.

On the other hand, I'm in love with my quad eyeshadow palette from Essence and use it regularly.
    But I also have a quad palette from Dior which is beautiful.

When it comes to mascara, I'm high-street all the way, because for me it's never about the product but the actual wand.
    I find the thin rubbery wands the best for giving you length.

So yeah, it's a bit of a mix, but I guess the majority of products I own are probably high-street.
    If I love something, it doesn't bother me how much it cost.

Have you tried using an eye primer before using the naked 2? I love it but some of the shades work better if you use a primer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Novella wrote:
    Today I wore Max Factor foundation, yesterday I wore NARS. I switched to Max Factor today because I was unimpressed at how the NARS foundation wore throughout the day (it's new).

Can I ask which Nars foundation were you using? I'm due to buy Sheer Glow again soon but was thinking of trying the newer one.

I read a lot of you talking about double wear foundation. Which one are you using. I was going to try the full coverage one but I found another one that's perfect for now. I'll get a sample

kickthecan wrote: »
    I read a lot of you talking about double wear foundation. Which one are you using. I was going to try the full coverage one but I found another one that's perfect for now. I'll get a sample

I use regular Double Wear in Winter, find it too heavy for Summer. My sis in law has just bought Double Wear Light and it's beautiful, I'm going to try it. V good coverage but more dewy altogether. They're great for samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

I use a mixture of products. I always use Lancome 24Hr foundation, i tried to find a cheaper alternative that would save me some money but no other brand suited me as well as Lancome, its not a heavy foundation and I have quite clear skin so it just evens out any uneven tones. Its €36 but it last me for ages and stays put really well.

I use several Urban decay products including the Naked 2 palette which I love particularly the Pistol Shade.

I highly recommend the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer, its fantastic, I often swim, go to the gym etc with it on under my eyeshadow and my eyeshadow remains flawless until you choose to take it off.

I have tried a few serums and never noticed any great benefit but I recently bought this one:Balance Hyaluronic 554 Youth Serum 30ml by Balance Active Formula. I noticed an improvement in my skin from the very first time I used it and it only cost me £4.99. I got it in TKMAXX but its on Amazon too, heres the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013S95DG0?refRID=RSSEVFDYGATP1JKEY5QJ&ref_=pd_ys_sf_s_117332031_b4_9_p
    :) :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

rougegal wrote: »
    Can I ask which Nars foundation were you using? I'm due to buy Sheer Glow again soon but was thinking of trying the newer one.

Oh, I should have been clearer! When I said new, I meant newly bought. It was Sheer Glow. I used it a few years ago and loved it but I find it's gathering/settling around my nose after a few hours now which I really don't like and I don't seem to have that problem with other foundations I've been using. I should have bought the new NARS foundation, I was actually looking at it when I was in the shop but said I'd go for the old reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Slightly off topic (apologies) but on the subject of cheap V expensive, can anyone recommend a good cheap mascara (under a tenner). I normally use Lancome Hypnose, but it's increasing in price everytime I buy it and it's almost €30 now :(

Maybelline. They have about a billion mascaras for budget prices.

I have 3:

http://www.boots.ie/en/Maybelline-Mascara-Falsies-Flared-Black-10-6ml_1416714/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Maybelline-Lash-Sensational-Lash-Multiplying-Mascara-9-5ml_1655586/

They are both good and add great volume and don't clump. I would go for the second one if buying again.

I have another that is supposed to add length but doesn't work. Not sure any of them that claim to do so do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

Slightly off topic (apologies) but on the subject of cheap V expensive, can anyone recommend a good cheap mascara (under a tenner). I normally use Lancome Hypnose, but it's increasing in price everytime I buy it and it's almost €30 now :(

I've used every mascara under the sun - just got a tube of Essence I <3 Extreme in work, best I've ever used, guarantee it's three euro or something so you could throw in their new Nude palette which is also fab and around five euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

I use a total mixture as well. For foundation I find nearly all of the cheaper foundations, while some have good coverage, turn orangey a few days after buying. Rimmel Wake Me Up is an example of this, I have the lightest shade and can't wear it without bronzing the whole of my neck, and I'm not ghostly white by any means. Loreal True Match is amazing though, great colour range and good enough coverage, suitable for everyday wear I'd say. For a fuller coverage look Mac is the way to go, I use pro longwear and it's so worth the price. Amazing coverage and makes your skin look so clear.

For eyeshadow, I LOVE Naked 2. The cheaper pallettes can achieve practically the same look as it but I just find they don't last that well. Grand for if you're only out for a few hours buy eyeshadow is not exactly something you can reapply as you would with lipstick.

With eyeliner I've yet to find something better than Rimmel Glam Eyes, applies so evenly and dark in colour, makes it so easy to achieve a perfect wing because the brush is thin and glides on to your eyelid and lasts so well. Like doesn't fade or crumble at all. Plus it's only like six euro.

That i <3 Extreme Essence mascara is so good and can't go wrong with the price. Maybelline mascaras are genuinely reliable too. I wouldn't really pay much extra for a mascara tbh.

For nude or light coloured lipsticks I'd tend to not pay too much extra but with darker purples or reds or plums it's so worth it as the cheaper ones fade so quickly and you'd notice it when your lips are bright red! Saying that though Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks are unreal.

Everything else- setting powders, concealer, bronzer, highlighter, blusher etc is such a mix, you can get amazing things for a few euro but sometimes it's worth paying a bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I've used a few of the Collection mascaras - work out at €4/€5. I keep coming back to them, they're brilliant.

http://www.boots.com/en/Collection-Work-The-Colour/Mascara/

Advertisement