Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HC3 requirement for a few Eng courses

• 13-08-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, my first post here. I am in a tricky situation, I have applied for many Eng courses and all are required HC3 in my LC. I didn't get this HC3 but I did HL maths and with bonus points I will have 75 and will have enough total points for Eng courses. I am going to go for recheck of my paper but have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know how HC3 is calculated and are there any other options to qualify for Eng courses if I don't have HC3 but have enough total points?

Also does anyone know what happens if I don't get any offer from CAO and what options I will have, like taking unfilled courses?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If you don't meet the entry requirements for a course then you won't be offered a place , unless there is a supplementary exam such as the maths exams some institutes and colleges hold.

So in short , no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

rd97 wrote: »
    Hi, my first post here. I am in a tricky situation, I have applied for many Eng courses and all are required HC3 in my LC. I didn't get this HC3 but I did HL maths and with bonus points I will have 75 and will have enough total points for Eng courses. I am going to go for recheck of my paper but have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know how HC3 is calculated and are there any other options to qualify for Eng courses if I don't have HC3 but have enough total points?

Also does anyone know what happens if I don't get any offer from CAO and what options I will have, like taking unfilled courses?

Thank you in advance.

A HC3 is between 55-59%. SEC don't use percent because different subjects are marked out of different totals, but that's effectively what a C3 is.

It doesn't matter how many points you have in the LC. If you have 625 points and still don't have a C3 or higher in English you are not getting into an English degree.

What grade did you get OP?

Assuming you passed English you would still be eligible for any other courses you have applied for that required a D3 or higher in English and assuming you have the other entry requirements for the course and points of course.

There are no alternative entrance exams for English to the best of my knowledge. Colleges only offer them for maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

I mean HC3 in Maths, I for D2 in maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I assume you mean engineering by "eng"?
    If so and you only got a d2 in maths, you have 2 options.
    Repeat the year or do another course.
    As someone who has done engineering (including a PhD and spent years lecturing it), the best advice I can give you is that most subjects are based on having a sound mathematical knowledge. The c3 requirements are relaxed from b3 requirements 10 years ago. People with b3 have struggled in the past. It would be better and cheaper to repeat the lc and improve your maths that way than go to university and possibly risk failing or dropping out due to problems with maths. The c3 requirements aren't there for fun, it's due to the massive numbers of people who experienced difficulties catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rd97

Yes, Engineering. I have always got B and above, never got D2. I was expecting much more in Maths, I am going for recheck but just want to have an offer in hand in case something doesn't work. Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

There are special maths entrance exams for students who don't meet the maths requirement
    I know UL and NUIG offer them, not certain about other colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rd97

Does any one know if DCU offers this special test for Maths? I tried to call DCU but no answer. Thanks.

Advertisement