Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wheelie help

• 13-08-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

So just starting practicing wheelies on my hornet 250 these are just 1st gear wheelies but I couple a couple of questions you 1 wheel aficionados could help me with.

1.Should you dump the clutch ? at the start i was pulling it in fully reving then dumping, now I have it just inside the friction zone and slip it, which is preferred for 1st gear wheelies ?

2. I noticed sometimes my back wheel would spin up a bit, I thought this may be tyres not warmed up properly or would there be any other reason ?

thanks for the help lads and lasses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Makikomi is your man for the wheelies, he'll be along shortly to advise you on all that is wheelie ;) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I'm more of a fan of a rolling power wheelie myself, less stress on the clutch. Not as dramatic though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

KTR1C wrote: »
    I'm more of a fan of a rolling power wheelie myself, less stress on the clutch. Not as dramatic though ;)

That what you were doing when your bike burst into flames? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You won't be wheelie-ing off the throttle alone on a Hornet 250. The clutch-slip technique is probably the best. Don't flip it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

goodlad wrote: »

Quite frankly my good man, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about !! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You can tell someone how to wheelie until the cows come home and they still won't be able.
    At the end of the day it's practice makes perfect.
    Probably what hinders a lot of people is the fear of going back.

Your bike is probably not the easiest to learn on either.
    Also if you are going to be doing wheelies using the clutch expect expenses for clutch plates,fork seals and fast wear of rear tyres.
    Don't forget to factor in the possibility of damaging your bike and yourself(no use crying like a little bitch later)

Just to answer your question about what to do with the clutch....

It's been a long long time since I've had a small bike but on a big bike,
    In second gear bring the revs up a small bit then leave off throttle and pull clutch lever in full at the same time.
    Then leave out clutch and open throttle at the same time.

Your bike won't have enough power to wheelie doing this in second so try it in first gear.

To be honest I think you should pick up something for a couple of hundred euro and practice in a field.

Whatever you do stay safe!!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

jimgoose wrote: »
    You won't be wheelie-ing off the throttle alone on a Hornet 250. The clutch-slip technique is probably the best. Don't flip it! :D

Agreed, there is just not enough power to get it up smoothly. Op if your learning id be doing them slow and using the clutch, preloading the forks will help too. When you get the timing right the bike should come up very easy with not a whole lot of throttle.

Rule number 1, Remember to always cover the back brake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Don't worry, you'll wheelie the hornet and its not complicated either (you just have a bike with sh*t poor torque).

Try this, in first (as the lads say you simply won't have the power to get her up in second).. Roll on as you'd normally accelerate, at the point at which you'd normally change into second suddenly close the throttle and snap it back on again.

If the bike rises 2 inches off the ground you'll crap yourself at first!.

Get used to covering the back brake, this gets you out of trouble if the bike is going to flip ~ but you're a long way from that.

You'll have to toy around with shifting your bum back a bit too, and you might find a full tank makes the front too heavy.

Things to remember, you're liable to wreck your bike if you make a balls of it.

Cops hate wheelies, but everyone else love's 'em :p

Do it with someone who can wheelie, they'll encourage you to go higher and higher.

Get a different bike!.

You can try clutch it up too, there are some great youtube instructions on it.

Good luck, don't hurt yourself!.

(I think you're mad if you follow mine or anyone elses instruction from an internet discussion forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Reading this thread has made me want to learn to wheelie. Pretty sure itll be just a tough on a CB500 though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Reading this thread has made me want to learn to wheelie. Pretty sure itll be just a tough on a CB500 though ?

Anything will wheelie. The CB500 is as respectable as a lot of small-ish middleweights. Again, it is not a torque-monster and IIRC makes all it's lusty 30-odd lb. ft. above 8,000 RPM, so Sir will be clutching it up. This is actually rather safer than off-the-gas wheelies (in the same way that a shotgun is safer in certain ways than a centrefire rifle) because you won't be like the eejit (<HARRUMPH>) who flipped a ZZR in his hair-oil days. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Did my first wheelie (accidentally) with a pillion and full panniers recently. Friend wanted some good acceleration so i told her to hang on, dropped a gear (which happened to put her into first) and accelerated hard from 40kph. Not surprisingly the wheel came up a few inches before the traction control put her back down again. Not 400m later there was a police check point. Haha.

The pillion had a bit of a sore neck for a few minutes (she didn't realise what had happened) and i learned an important lesson :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Makatomi can we organise a big boards wheelie meet up where you teach us all??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have a uni-cycle in the garage.....gonna try wheelie that.

Zascar wrote: »
    Makatomi can we organise a big boards wheelie meet up where you teach us all??? :)

Ahhh but you had the offer a few times if you remember!.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I do - you are very kind I will deffo take you up on it! :D

Zascar wrote: »
    I do - you are very kind I will deffo take you up on it! :D

I've more of less retired from wheeling etc.

I was actually going to write up a thread here, I've wrote it in my head lots of times.. Just noting that in all the accidents I've had over the years, of all the accidents (including deaths) my friends have had that almost all (almost!!) could have been prevented by me and my friends riding just a few kph slower.

Only speaking for myself here, but all bar one of my accidents since I started biking in 1986 could have been prevented by me riding a little slower ~ if not prevented then at least made a lot less severe.

I've one friend in particular whose recent death really, really put manners on me. I think of him every time I ride, and was a caliber of rider many times mine and yet he was killed.

Since his death there's hardly a day has went by that I haven't considered giving up biking.

We recently brought a Swiss visitor for a spin around the Dublin/Wicklow mountain, had the craic and we were mostly well behaved.

But going though Hollywood and one of the lads tried to overtake me with his GF on the back of his bike 'F*ck this' ~ and I wheelied past him and through the village.

Well at the far side I called myself all the fooking idiots under the sun, and honestly I think thats the last time I wheelied.

Sorry if I seem like I'm lecturing, its probably more a lament if anything :(

Oh, my son has recently expressed an interest in buying a bike ~ my stomach turned at the thought!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw some lad in finglas did a wheelie a about a month ago. On a supermoto with a loud exhaust. About 300m long, could hear him coming and looked around to see him on one wheel! One thing is certain, wheelies are fúcking cool!
    goodlad wrote: »

That sounds way cooler than it probably was!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Saw some lad in finglas did a wheelie a about a month ago. On a supermoto with a loud exhaust. About 300m long, could hear him coming and looked around to see him on one wheel! One thing is certain, wheelies are fúcking cool!

Finglas you say ~ it was probably someone else's bike :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Finglas you say ~ it was probably someone else's bike :p

Yeah, probably! But it was a supermoto and it came from a shop that deals in that sort of bike.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, probably! But it was a supermoto and it came from a shop that deals in that sort of bike.

Could it have been this bike?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement