Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Lantus wrote: »
    Presumably when I was stuck in traffic I was falsely imprisoned as well. They knew traffic levels were rising and not building more roads would cause entrapment. It was intentional.

Protesters shouldn't of done it but this is OTT. Its all about making sure ordinary people remember their place and remain placid.

I think it's already been pointed out that that is a moronic argument. Being stuck in traffic this not equate to being trapped in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Graham wrote: »
    That's probably better decided by a Court who will probably be in a much better position to make that decision than you are.

Exactly....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I think it's already been pointed out that that is a moronic argument. Being stuck in traffic this not equate to being trapped in your car.

Agreed. But wasting so much time on this is equally moronic. It happened so long ago. There are real problems in society. A few people gently rocking a car for a few hours shouldn't be on that list. Fix the health system, water system and eliminate poverty and disease. Then if you have any spare time try to ruin peoples lives with this nonsense.

Did the doors stop working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they could have

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Agreed. But wasting so much time on this is equally moronic. It happened so long ago. There are real problems in society. A few people gently rocking a car for a few hours shouldn't be on that list. Fix the health system, water system and eliminate poverty and disease. Then if you have any spare time try to ruin peoples lives with this nonsense.

So I guess you feel we should focus on fixing our economy instead of prosecuting the Anglo chiefs too?

If you looked outside your front door and there was a man with a large machete running his finger across his throat would you consider yourself free to leave simply because your door was working? Do you genuinely not understand the difference between getting stuck in a crowd and getting your car surrounded by a mob threatening you? If you don't just tell me now.

they could have

Did she not get out of that car and into a Garda one ?

So I guess you feel we should focus on fixing our economy instead of prosecuting the Anglo chiefs too?

If you looked outside your front door and there was a man with a large machete running his finger across his throat would you consider yourself free to leave simply because your door was working? Do you genuinely not understand the difference between getting stuck in a crowd and getting your car surrounded by a mob threatening you? If you don't just tell me now.

Who had weapons ? The Garda as far as I know are we just making up stuff now ? I think it would have been all over the news if someone had a Machete..

Who had weapons ? The Garda as far as I know are we just making up stuff now ? I think it would have been all over the news if someone had a Machete..

I think it's easiest just to leave you to your thoughts. Even a troll understands metaphor and analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Agreed. But wasting so much time on this is equally moronic. It happened so long ago. There are real problems in society. A few people gently rocking a car for a few hours shouldn't be on that list. Fix the health system, water system and eliminate poverty and disease.
    Fixing the health and water systems, and curing poverty and disease, are not the role of the DPP.

• Advertisement

I think it's easiest just to leave you to your thoughts. Even a troll understands metaphor and analogy

What has a guy with a machete outside a house threatening someone have to do with a TD who knew there was a protest outside ? The same TD who looked Quite normal thought the entire event With an Armed Garda in the Car surrounded by loads of Garda in absolutely zero danger. I would hazard a guess that car was probably armoured as well. Who then after the event suddenly on advise was afraid of ones life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Only good analogies and metaphors, yours need a little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You're not seriously equating trapping a woman in her car, intimidating her and generally behaving in a violent and thug like manner to the 1916 Rising and the War of Independence are you?

Not even vaguely - I am providing a counter example to the "violence never solves anything" newspeak. Basically there is nuance here - maybe their actions were right or maybe wrong, and a court is a good place to use the current agreed interpretation of right and wrong to test this.

That said - it's pretty close to what the civil war was about, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

What has a guy with a machete outside a house threatening someone have to do with a TD who knew there was a protest outside ? The same TD who looked Quite normal thought the entire event With an Armed Garda in the Car surrounded by loads of Garda in absolutely zero danger. I would hazard a guess that car was probably armoured as well. Who then after the event suddenly on advise was afraid of ones life.

AGS did a great job on the day in question in Jobstown, didn't they?
    Hundreds of them there, riot gear and all, yet they still allowed these dastardly deeds, like 'false imprisonment', take place right in front of their eyes.
    Hero's to a man.......

Much easier to allow these 'crimes' take place and then,weeks later, have 10 of them do dawn raids on kids getting ready to go to school.
    Most coppers are like an asses cock.....big when they're out....in coppers!

NorthStars wrote: »
    dawn raids on kids getting ready to go to school.

You should write headlines for the Journal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Was talking to a legal eagle - the "false imprisonment" thing is valid. It doesn't have to be kidnapping, it just has to be keeping someone against their will/threatening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Paul Murphy carries around a loud speaker in his car.

You know, just in case he happens upon a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Was talking to a legal eagle - the "false imprisonment" thing is valid. It doesn't have to be kidnapping, it just has to be keeping someone against their will/threatening them.
    False imprisonment has even been proven where a person was locked, after hours, in a place of work, where the employer's security ought to have checked for the presence of employees still in the building.

It is a particularly broad offence, hence (presumably) why it was chosen for trying multiple defendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

NorthStars wrote: »
    AGS did a great job on the day in question in Jobstown, didn't they?
    Hundreds of them there, riot gear and all, yet they still allowed these dastardly deeds, like 'false imprisonment', take place right in front of their eyes.
    Hero's to a man.......

Much easier to allow these 'crimes' take place and then,weeks later, have 10 of them do dawn raids on kids getting ready to go to school.
    Most coppers are like an asses cock.....big when they're out....in coppers!

Of all the incredibly stupid posts in this thread, and there are many, this one has to be the worst. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Political Kite flying was been brought to new heights with this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

not everyone works 9 to 5 and thats the end of it
    The poster was clearly referring to unemployed people who are not seeking employment.

I've encountered no one like that so they can't be all that prevalent.

I've encountered plenty who claim to be in that situation.
    To be fair (and I'm close to as anti-Murphy as you will get, and am delighted about these fully justified charges), there are a good few people in that situation - but nowhere near "hundreds of thousands" as someone else claimed.

But you're right that there are an awful lot who complain about being in that situation, while smoking a pack a day, going out drinking at least 1-2 nights a week, getting takeaway regularly, and spending their food budget awfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Same people have Murphy hung drawn and quartered that are on these threads telling us that Denis O'Brien deserves the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaicr when the protestors were arrested in the dawn raids the Gardai also took away laptops and computers and other things like notebooks etc which may have been used in arranging these protests and might also details of how certain people were expected to act/behave during the protests. There might be evidence to show that blocking the car was planned or that the torrents of abuse aimed at those in the car and the Gardai were orchestrated by a few members of a group like eirígi

It is clear that there is a dangerous "provo/paramilitary" element mainly from the Newry/Louth area including members of eirígi who were welcomed to attend and "manage" these protests and the torrents of abuse mainly aimed at Gardai and those going about their jobs installing water meters.

Some of the protesters who were arrested looked quite worried on the news earlier and I'd say they have good reason to be worried as if links are made to provo/paramilitary groups they could be charged with very serious crimes against the state.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaicr when the protestors were arrested in the dawn raids the Gardai also took away laptops and computers and other things like notebooks etc which may have been used in arranging these protests and might also details of how certain people were expected to act/behave during the protests. There might be evidence to show that blocking the car was planned or that the torrents of abuse aimed at those in the car and the Gardai were orchestrated by a few members of a group like eirígi

It is clear that there is a dangerous "provo/paramilitary" element mainly from the Newry/Louth area
    including members of eirígi who were welcomed to attend and "manage" these protests and the torrents of abuse mainly aimed at Gardai and those going about their jobs installing water meters.

Some of the protesters who were arrested looked quite worried on the news earlier and I'd say they have good reason to be worried as if links are made to provo/paramilitary groups they could be charged with very serious crimes against the state.

Eh, what:confused:

Clear how exactly?

Did you hover over the 'submit reply' icon before posting this waffle, because you probably should have.

Provo/Erigi does not compute btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

foggy_lad wrote:
    It is clear that there is a dangerous "provo/paramilitary" element mainly from the Newry/Louth area including members of eirígi who were welcomed to attend and "manage" these protests and the torrents of abuse mainly aimed at Gardai and those going about their jobs installing water meters.

Wow! Don't suppose you've any evidence?

Same people have Murphy hung drawn and quartered that are on these threads telling us that Denis O'Brien deserves the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.
    Name them.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Name them.

Want me to make your breakfast in the am too :confused:

How's about using the search function, chief.

Want me to make your breakfast in the am too :confused:

How's about using the search function, chief.
    Ah, so it's an unfounded accusation. Because without evidence, that's all it is.

I thought so since I'm all for Murphy meeting the justice system (don't recall anyone for him to be 'hung, drawn and quartered' though - either I missed the posts that did, or it's just a classic case of the Murphy supporters hyperbolic victim complex), but despise Denis O'Brien myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I suppose all the Jobstown 23 will be demanding free legal aid? It will be interesting to see how much these crowd of thugs cost the state. The whole aim of these gurriers and thugs is civil disobedience and causing as much hassle and expense for the state as possible!

Advertisement