Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

NorthStars wrote: »
    Look, the thing is that from an outside view, the Jobstown thing was a set up.
    Burton knew what would happen, she knew about the strong anti-water sentiment in Tallaght, she knew AGS would be put in an almost impossible position and she knew what the consequences would be.

She played politics with the force in order to discredit her government's detractors.

I'd suggest some high level meetings between AGS and the Dept of Justice to try and alleviate the obvious mistrust developing between some sections of society and AGS, but that old clique means it wouldn't happen.

Politicians are always playing politics with AGS. The fact remains that she was the victim of false imprisonment. Saying she shouldn't have gone to the wrong neighbourhood is wrong on so many levels. Being in the wrong place does not make you a free target.

Maybe she did play politics to make her opponents look bad. But that only works if they act the part, which they did. And that's all on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

The fact remains that she was the victim of false imprisonment.

Allegedly.

Allegedly.

You can word your posts as vaguely as you want. I'm satisfied from all the footage I've seen that she was a victim of false imprisonment so I'll refer to it as such.

You can word your posts as vaguely as you want. I'm satisfied from all the footage I've seen that she was a victim of false imprisonment so I'll refer to it as such.

Fair enough.
    I'll let the court decide on that.

BTW, if you're satisfied that was the case, why did members of your force sit back and allow that to happen?
    Bordering on being accomplices if that's the case....

Fair enough.
    I'll let the court decide on that.

BTW, if you're satisfied that was the case, why did members of your force sit back and allow that to happen?
    Bordering on being accomplices if that's the case....

Courts don't decide if someone was the victim of a crime.

As to your second question. I would presume the intention was to end the incident without violence by negotiating with the leader. Seems to have worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Yeah,but thats just you,there is a need to be more than satisfied,its called innocnce,in a democratic society.

Until proven guilty in a court of law.

Courts decide whether someone is innocent or guilty of a crime though.
    Not you, not your commissioner, not the minister for justice.

The DPP decides if someone has been the victim of a crime and sends it forward (or not) for trial.

It's quite the coincidence in this case that seemingly Brendan Howlin's niece in the DPP's office decided there's charges to answer.

I hope this aspect of the case is investigated as thoroughly. I won't hold my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Courts grant a defendant the right to be presumed innocent, until otherwise proven, and convicted by the jury.
    That makes the rest of your 'false imprisonment' posts contradictory in the extreme.

Keep churning them out though.

Courts decide whether someone is innocent or guilty of a crime though.
    Not you, not your commissioner, not the minister for justice.

The DPP decides if someone has been the victim of a crime and sends it forward (or not) for trial.

So even by your own standard, I was right to call her a victim of crime. So are you just arguing random points for the sake of it?

So even by your own standard, I was right to call her a victim of crime.

Ok, now tell me why your people allowed this crime to happen right in front of their eyes.

Do 'operational reasons' allow for a crime to be committed without intervention?

Or was it that there was no real crime being committed, AGS were assessing the situation, asked Murphy for his help to resolve it and then dreampt up the charges later?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ok, now tell me why your people allowed this crime to happen right in front of their eyes.

To prevent a bad situation from escalating.

Do 'operational reasons' allow for a crime to be committed without intervention?

Or was it that there was no real crime being committed, AGS were assessing the situation, asked Murphy for his help to resolve it and then dreampt up the charges later?

So you accept now that she was the victim of a crime, even by your own standards. That's getting somewhere. As to your new question, I already gave my opinion on that a few posts back when you asked it already. You seem to be implying that negotiating peacefully with a person to stop a crime is somehow an endorsement of their actions. Even though I'm full sure that if the Gardaí on the day had used force you would be on here claiming that it wasn't needed and they should have negotiated.

Graham wrote: »
    To prevent a bad situation from escalating.

That worked well, didn't it?

The coppers are being used as a pawn by this government and they know and accept it.
    Still, better not bite the hand that feeds, eh....

So you accept now that she was the victim of a crime, even by your own standards.

Eh, no.
    I accept that you believe she was the victim of a crime.
    That's your opinion and as I said, I'll let a judge and jury decide if your opinion is right.

So even by your own standard, I was right to call her a victim of crime. So are you just arguing random points for the sake of it?

Your missing the point,you may be satisfied of their guilt,or any other individual may be satisfied,or for that matter the population of this country maybe satisfied,or convinced of their guilt.

They are still innocent,until proven guilty.

If it were to be left to opinions,as to who is guilty or innocent,we would indeed be in a sorry state.

Mob Rule perhaps.

Yes
    Eh, no.
    I accept that you believe she was the victim of a crime.
    That's your opinion and as I said, I'll let a judge and jury decide if your opinion is right.

You specifically said that the DPP decides if someone is a victim of a crime. The most up to date report states that she has decided Joan Burton was the victim of a crime. Are you now going back on your assertion that the DPP decides if someone has been the victim of a crime?

Very well, nobody got hurt and anyone that broke the law will face the consequences of their actions before a Court.

A job well done.

Yes

You specifically said that the DPP decides if someone is a victim of a crime. The most up to date report states that she has decided Joan Burton was the victim of a crime. Are you now going back on your assertion that the DPP decides if someone has been the victim of a crime?

You're good with the auld semantics ok, I'll give you that.

Will anyone in AGS be investigating the member of the DPP's office who's closely related to Brendan Howlin and how that relationship may have influenced the decision to bring cases to court?

Any whistleblowers around? Or do they all keep their heads down now?

Very well, nobody got hurt and anyone that broke the law will face the consequences of their actions before a Court.

A job well done.

Thats a contradiction,no one has broken the law,until due process decides otherwise.

A job well done.

Grand so.
    Will you, and others, accept the outcome of the court cases?

• Advertisement

You're good with the auld semantics ok, I'll give you that.

Semantics? That's the best you can do to avoid the fact you are blatantly contradicting yourself?
    Will anyone in AGS be investigating the member of the DPP's office who's closely related to Brendan Howlin and how that relationship may have influenced the decision to bring cases to court?

Any whistleblowers around? Or do they all keep their heads down now?

People aren't usually investigated based solely on their family. If you have some legitimate concerns you should report them to someone though.

Grand so.
    Will you, and others, accept the outcome of the court cases?

Will you? You can't even accept your own conclusions.

People aren't usually investigated based solely on their family. If you have some legitimate concerns you should report them to someone though.

Maybe I'll pop in to my local Garda station and ask them to investigate.
    The blank expression would be priceless.

I imagine if you report someone for a crime and your only evidence of that crime is a family connection between two people the expression will be one of pity.

I imagine if you report someone for a crime and your only evidence of that crime is a family connection between two people the expression will be one of pity.

LOL.
    Cowards to a man, hiding behind a badge.

LOL.
    Cowards to a man, hiding behind a badge.

Congratulations, you've successfully gone from reasoned argument, through contradictory statement straight to simple insult in a few pages.

Why would your expression be blank? They might take pity on you and offer you some tea and sympathy.

+1

I can only imagine how what conversation would go.

I'd like to report a crime, I have absolutely no evidence of a crime nor anything else that may suggest a crime may have taken place but there's a family connection so I'd like the Gardai to investigate just in case a crime was committed. I fully expect you to immediately drag in the people who I think might/possibly/could have done something illegal in for immediate questioning.

If you refuse to investigate my baseless allegations I will of course be leaving this Garda station and telling everyone the only reason you're refusing to investigate is political policing.

Why would your expression be blank? They might take pity on you and offer you some tea and sympathy.

Miles and miles and miles.......eh?

• Advertisement

+1

I can only imagine how what conversation would go.

I'd like to report a crime, I have absolutely no evidence of a crime nor anything else that may suggest a crime may have taken place but there's a family connection so I'd like the Gardai to investigate just in case a crime was committed. I fully expect you to immediately drag in the people who I think might/possibly/could have done something illegal in for immediate questioning.

If you refuse to investigate my baseless allegations I will of course be leaving this Garda station and telling everyone the only reason you're refusing to investigate is political policing.

What crime are you referring to?
    Clique?

Advertisement