Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Graham wrote: »
    Neither the DPP or the Labour Party get to pass sentences.

I'm sure there will be a conspiracy theorist along any second to refute that fact.

In reality,it is not so much about who was and is judged,it is about who is not.

But I am sure another "file was sent to the DPP".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gladrags wrote: »
    In reality,it is not so much about who was and is judged,it is about who is not.

But I am sure another "file was sent to the DPP".

For their sake, I really hope you're not opening for the defence at the Johnstown protesters trials.

Satriale wrote: »
    They are gone beyond a joke at this stage GL, there was one of them looking for the protesters to be given head injuries to teach them a lesson a while ago.

Wishing violence on people, it just doesnt make sense to me. :confused:

It is no conspiracy that there is a section of our society that willingly support trial by media,in order to uphold a failed political ideology.

Maybe its just that they actually believe what they read in the papers,full stop.

It is no conspiracy that there is a section of our society that willingly support trial by media,in order to uphold a failed political ideology.

Maybe its just that they actually believe what they read in the papers,full stop.

Don't worry, there's plenty more of us that will be happy enough to see a trial in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This isn't quite trial by media though.

Many of us think these protesters are thugs and layabouts regardless of the Jobstown incident. We thought it long before Jobstown happened. It isn't a legal determination, it's a personal opinion of people who are perfectly content to make themselves look stupid on social media at every opportunity.

Furthermore, the facts are quite undisputed here. Paul Murphy and his mob do not deny surrounding Joan Burton's car, chanting and baying at her. None of them seem to be denying that the offence of false imprisonment can be made out as the law stands, even if they think it's a ridiculous law.

There seems to be very little in dispute her, factually speaking.

A bunch of lawless thugs have just formed a different opinion to the rest of us: i.e., they seem to believe they should be allowed to detain a Government minister with impunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bottom line to all this.

Let the law take its course.

There is plenty of evidence of the events available, if the law was broken, charge the perps and let's get on with things.

There can't be one law for one and another law for another.

That's how society starts to break down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

conorh91 wrote: »

Many of us think these protesters are thugs and layabouts regardless of the Jobstown incident. We thought it long before Jobstown happened. It isn't a legal determination, it's a personal opinion of people who are perfectly content to make themselves look stupid on social media at every opportunity.

Furthermore, the facts are quite undisputed here. Paul Murphy and his mob do not deny surrounding Joan Burton's car, chanting and baying at her. None of them seem to be denying that the offence of false imprisonment can be made out as the law stands, even if they think it's a ridiculous law.

A bunch of lawless thugs have just formed a different opinion to the rest of us: i.e., they seem to believe they should be allowed to detain a Government minister with impunity.

But yet you'll defend Denis o brien at every turn, because according to you he has never been convicted of anything!

Hypocrite!

But yet you'll defend Denis o brien at every turn, because according to you he has never been convicted of anything!

Hypocrite!
    I believe in fair procedures before the constitutionally-appointed courts for every person, whether for an asylum seeker, a businessman, or an attention-seeking politician.

If Paul Murphy disputes being part of a group that detained Joan Burton, then let him dispute it. As far as I know, he does not.

Hypocrite!

1) I didn't see anyone on this thread defending DOB
    2) 'but did you see what Denis did' is hardly the best defence strategy for those facing Court for the events in Jobstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Merrion wrote: »
    Not even vaguely - I am providing a counter example to the "violence never solves anything" newspeak. Basically there is nuance here - maybe their actions were right or maybe wrong, and a court is a good place to use the current agreed interpretation of right and wrong to test this.

That said - it's pretty close to what the civil war was about, no?

It's not even close.

The Rising, The War for Independence and the Civil War were about freeing the country from oppression and giving us back what was stolen.

These so-called 'prostests' are at the stage just about sticking it to the man, being as violent and intimidating as possible toward people just doing their jobs, and expecting to be handed everything on a silver platter whilst paying for nothing.

I don't deny some people are genuinely struggling of course, but the vast majority of these protesters, imo, are not part of that group.

• Advertisement

It's not even close.

The Rising, The War for Independence and the Civil War were about freeing the country from oppression and giving us back what was stolen.

These so-called 'prostests' are at the stage just about sticking it to the man, being as violent and intimidating as possible toward people just doing their jobs, and expecting to be handed everything on a silver platter whilst paying for nothing.

I don't deny some people are genuinely struggling of course, but the vast majority of these protesters, imo, are not part of that group.

Well said, saying it as it is.

On the money in my opinion.

Strange how you rush to judgement when it comes to ordinary people,prior to charges being applied,or before they are given the benefitof a fair trial,which is everyones democratic right.

And then you relentlessly defend an individual,who has the capacity to influence justice,and will apparently use it to openly threaten the fundamentals of democracy.

Even by your poor standards of calling ordinary people thugs and lawless,should we apply this to the lawless white collar thugs,who so ardently sank this country,and caused misery and deprevation to millions.

And who are still roaming free to reoffend,and to repeat what many regarded as treason.?

Denis might know,he deals with them regularly.

Strange how you rush to judgement when it comes to ordinary people,prior to charges being applied,or before they are given the benefitof a fair trial,which is everyones democratic right.

Looks like you're confusing yourself there gladrags, let me highlight the relevant part for you.
    I believe in fair procedures before the constitutionally-appointed courts for every person, whether for an asylum seeker, a businessman, or an attention-seeking politician.

Looks like you're confusing yourself there gladrags, let me highlight the relevant part for you.

Have they been charged over the weekend?

Have they been charged over the weekend?

I didn't see anyone mention it, just that they'd like to see it happen so they're held accountable. That sounds fair enough to me.

I am not typing this out again, because none of you read anything except one another's posts.

Many of us think these protesters are thugs and layabouts regardless of the Jobstown incident.

Denis O'Brien disputes the facts and is presumed innocent on questions of criminal behaviour (you're free to think he's a thug)

Paul Murphy does not dispute being part of the baying mob, and it is that reason I think he is a thug. Being a thug, in someone's opinion, isn't a legal issue.

And stop trying to make everything about Denis O'Brien. It gets boring.

I didn't see anyone mention it, just that they'd like to see it happen so they're held accountable. That sounds fair enough to me.

As would the investigation into The Moriarty Tribunal and a file sent to the DPP.

No charges have been made in either yet.

Yet we have posters looking for Murphy to be hung, drawn and quartered and at the same time saying in other threads that Denis o Brien is totally innocent as he hasn't been charged with anything.

A bit of consistency at least!

As would the investigation into The Moriarty Tribunal and a file sent to the DPP.

No charges have been made in either yet.

Yet we have posters looking for Murphy to be hung, drawn and quartered and at the same time saying in other threads that Denis o Brien is totally innocent as he hasn't been charged with anything.

A bit of consistency at least!

Top marks for the amateur dramatics but if you read the thread again you'll find most people are supportive of a court appearance to face charges.

I'm not even going to get into your obsession with the completely unrelated DOB accusations.

You are being exremely selective,here is the gist of the post.

"Many of us think these protesters are thugs and layabouts regardless of the Jobstown incident. We thought it long before Jobstown happened. It isn't a legal determination, it's a personal opinion of people who are perfectly content to make themselves look stupid on social media at every opportunity.

There seems to be very little in dispute her, factually speaking."

The facts are that no one has been charged,and are therfor innocent.

Yet they are called thugs and gangs,and mobs.

A personal opinion suggesting guilt,is just that,a personal opinion.

They are still innocent.

They are still innocent.

Yup, until/unless they are found guilty in court. Coincidentally, that's exactly what's being advocated.

Court.

See that, on it's own. Court. No mention of being hung drawn and quartered. Just court.

• Advertisement

Yup, until/unless they are found guilty in court. Coincidentally, that's exactly what's being advocated.

Court.

See that, on it's own. Court. No mention of being hung drawn and quartered. Just court.

Thats grand so if someone calls you a
    thug and a layabout,or a sponger,it is par for the course.

No criminality inferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No criminality inferred.

if you are going to behave like a thug then that is what people will think of you. I'm sure you have some choice opinions about denis o'briens character and he hasnt been convicted of any offence either. A bit of consistency, no?

No criminality inferred.

That depends on who is the recipient of those accusations,lad.

:rolleyes:

if you are going to behave like a thug then that is what people will think of you. I'm sure you have some choice opinions about denis o'briens character and he hasnt been convicted of any offence either. A bit of consistency, no?

Most certainly a bit of consistency.

What shall we call individuals that nearly bankrupt the country,are the direct cause of austerity,that leads to mass emigration,countless cutbacks,the destruction of the right to housing,and generations of debt.

Nice chappies.?

They are well educated it seems,in screwing the livliehood of anyone that has the potential to make them richer.

As they ride off into the sunset,looking for more ways to screw the joe soaps,while the joe soaps pick up the tab,and pay the social cost,for their near destruction of the state.

But thats all OK,forgive and forget,we will let all that go,and display our horror at those who threaten our stability,and our compfort zone that allows the boys who screwed us to get away scott free,because of who they are,not what they did.

Instead,as a distraction we will highlight the thugs,justice must be done,we cannot have these plebs telling us how to run the country.

If your going to behave like a fraudster,an embezzeler,and a cheap con artist,
    and run the country into the ground,what terminology would you use to describe ths kind of behavour?

What shall we call individuals that nearly bankrupt the country,are the direct cause of austerity,that leads to mass emigration,countless cutbacks,the destruction of the right to housing,and generations of debt.

Nice chappies.?

They are well educated it seems,in screwing the livliehood of anyone that has the potential to make them richer.

As they ride off into the sunset,looking for more ways to screw the joe soaps,while the joe soaps pick up the tab,and pay the social cost,for their near destruction of the state.

But thats all OK,forgive and forget,we will let all that go,and display our horror at those who threaten our stability,and our compfort zone that allows the boys who screwed us to get away scott free,because of who they are,not what they did.

Instead,as a distraction we will highlight the thugs,justice must be done,we cannot have these plebs telling us how to run the country.

and run the country into the ground,what terminology would you use to describe ths kind of behavour?

Who a exactly are these 'plebs' you refer to, laddie?

GENERAL RANTING...........

what terminology would you use to describe ths kind of behavour?

Oh no, you misunderstood (again).

ohnonotgmail suggested you might have an opinion about DOB. He didn't ask what that opinion was.

Nice chap pies.?

[…]
    But thats all OK,forgive and forget,we will let all that go
    Oh stop acting like such a victim.

I never suggested anyone should desist from name calling, or holding an honest opinion that an individual is morally bankrupt, or undesirable.

That's what I think of Paul Murphy's antics, and that's presumably what you think of Denis O'Brien.

It's another thing entirely to accuse such people of criminal acts, especially where they dispute having committed those acts

Why am I bothering saying this again? You're not going to read this. I might as well recite the alphabet in Greek and post videos of the birdie song.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nice chappies.?

no problem with any of that at all. so given all that why do you object to the jobstown protesters being called thugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

no problem with any of that at all. so given all that why do you object to the jobstown protesters being called thugs?

I would hardly call shouting thuggish behaviour, I would hear harsher language on comedy central. And the Garda where the ones it seems doing the shoving unless someone can provide links to the protestors laying hands on people ? Again if there was a problem at the time people should have been arrested and charged. This is entirely politically motivated, After the fact and advice the cry's of fear for life and property came out.

• Advertisement

I would hardly call shouting thuggish behaviour, I would hear harsher language on comedy central. And the Garda where the ones it seems doing the shoving unless someone can provide links to the protestors laying hands on people ? Again if there was a problem at the time people should have been arrested and charged. This is entirely politically motivated, After the fact and advice the cry's of fear for life and property came out.

Try watching the videos before you come out with such rubbish.

Advertisement