Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Or Angela Merkel.

Nama....

We havent seen Bertie mentioned in a long while.... someone do a connection please

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Waiting for the "bankers" comment
    That was in effect Murphy's go-to argument this morning.

"Around the corner were two families who were living in their cars because of Joan Burton. Yet she was concerned about spending a couple of hours in hers".

He's just a complete cock. He doesn't even understand the charges against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I wonder will people want to #talktojoan now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I tend to not give a flying about these but i do find it odd that theyre being charged.

Farmers have blocked in factories and other protests have blocked in groups and nobody was ever charged. In my opinion the boys in the free bar brigade in the dail are using scare tactics in the hope to make people think twice about protesting in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

KC161 wrote: »
    I wonder will people want to #talktojoan now

Naw the new hashtag is #evidencefromjoan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

seamus wrote: »
    That was in effect Murphy's go-to argument this morning.

"Around the corner were two families who were living in their cars because of Joan Burton. Yet she was concerned about spending a couple of hours in hers".

He's just a complete cock. He doesn't even understand the charges against him.

I think we all know an idiot or two ... I dont refer to their opinions when talking about anything dont know why people would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

The Muppet wrote: »
    How were the protestors to know she was on her way to the Dail? It'll be quite a simple defence i'd imagine if it ever gets to court, I doubt it will.

Apt username.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RomanKnows wrote: »
    I would love if Paul 'The Revolution will be tweeted about' Murphy wasn't one of those charged.
    To quote Fat Mike, "The People's Revolution" is going to be a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." JFK

Great to see some Irish people stand up for what they believe in
    Of course I'm sure they're all Jobless/Dole scrounging scumbags, or at least that what the Upper & Middle classes want you to believe :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Couldn't agree more. Fair play to them taking time away from their jobs at great personal financial loss to highlight this important issue. Bravo. Pity more people couldn't make the sacrifice. Right?

Bracken81 wrote: »
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." JFK

Great to see some Irish people stand up for what they believe in
    Of course I'm sure they're all Jobless/Dole scrounging scumbags, or at least that what the Upper & Middle classes want you to believe :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Specialun wrote: »
    I tend to not give a flying about these but i do find it odd that theyre being charged.

Farmers have blocked in factories and other protests have blocked in groups and nobody was ever charged. In my opinion the boys in the free bar brigade in the dail are using scare tactics in the hope to make people think twice about protesting in the future

Farmers have not acted like these thugs did during their own protests.

There is no comparison to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

paulbok wrote: »
    She was a TD, stands to reason there was a good chance she would be going to the Dáil.

A good chance would hardly be conclusive proof it in a court of law, would it?
    Apt username.

How original, did it take you long to come up with that?

awec wrote: »
    Farmers have not acted like these thugs did during their own protests.

There is no comparison to be made.

Are you sure?
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2512&dat=19670309&id=xwdIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HAANAAAAIBAJ&pg=4416,1148380&hl=en

Many different groups including farmers have had dublin in gridlock many times with people stuck in thier cars unable to get to their destination. , no one has ever been charge with false imprisonment over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

100gSoma wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Fair play to them taking time away from their jobs at great personal financial loss to highlight this important issue. Bravo. Pity more people couldn't make the sacrifice. Right?

73% of the country have made a protest in their own way

Great to see a country bind together in times like this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A good chance would hardly be conclusive proof it in a court of law, would it?
    It's not a point that requires proof. It's doesn't matter where she was going, it doesn't matter that she is a TD.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's not a point that requires proof. It's doesn't matter where she was going, it doesn't matter that she is a TD.

Good so the next time anyone involved in a protest delays another citizen moving about the area they can be charged with false imprisonment.

The government/gardai or whoever is responsible for this farcical situation have lost the plot big time. Roll on election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Good so the next time anyone involved in a protest delays another citizen moving about the area they can be charged with false imprisonment.

The government/gardai or whoever is responsible for this farcical situation have lost the plot big time. Roll on election time.

if a mob surrounded you in your car and prevented you from moving for 2 hours would you be happy if the gardai did nothing?

if a mob surrounded you in your car and prevented you from moving for 2 hours would you be happy if the gardai did nothing?

I doubt very much if anyone would be charged with false imprisonment in that scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How were the protestors to know she was on her way to the Dail? It'll be quite a simple defence i'd imagine if it ever gets to court, I doubt it will.

If you think surrounding the car and banging on it is acceptable behaviour, then you sound like a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Many different groups including farmers have had dublin in gridlock many times with people stuck in thier cars unable to get to their destination. , no one has ever been charge with false imprisonment over it.
    False imprisonment requires detention within strictly-defined boundaries, e.g. a car, or a building.

A protest that simply causes a hindrance in the open environment, e.g. causing a person to take an alternative route, is not false imprisonment.

Anyone who regularly drives in central Dublin will have experience of roads being unavailable because of protests or other events. That's not a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I doubt very much if anyone would be charged with false imprisonment in that scenario.

that is exactly what false imprisonment is. I dont see how it could be any clearer.
    15.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of false imprisonment who intentionally or recklessly—

(a) takes or detains, or

(b) causes to be taken or detained, or

(c) otherwise restricts the personal liberty of,

another without that other's consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

20Cent wrote: »
    Seems they haven't been charged yet, the story was "leaked" to the media in advance. Political policing at its best.
    Violence damage yeah of course but false imprisonment no way. Any protest outside the Dail could be deemed false imprisonment.

The Guards have no input into the decision as to whether someone is charged or not, so I'm not sure how the announcement could be 'political policing'......

Specialun wrote: »

Farmer fined €5k for obstructing work of department vet

Longford pig farmer on trial for false imprisonment of man

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you sure?
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2512&dat=19670309&id=xwdIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HAANAAAAIBAJ&pg=4416,1148380&hl=en

I am not sure you really understand what the issue with this incident was.

syklops wrote: »
    If you think surrounding the car and banging on it is acceptable behaviour, then you sound like a muppet.

You would have a point there If I had said I thought that but I didn't , did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Charging them with false imprisonment - and subsequently hoping Murphy will be stripped of his seat - will just be seen as clumsy political maneuvering and will backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

anncoates wrote: »
    Charging them with false imprisonment - and subsequently hoping Murphy will be stripped of his seat - will just be seen as clumsy political maneuvering and will backfire.

To the best of my knowledge, the current DPP has shown little regard for politics or taking the States side. Not sure why she would change her ways because of Paul Murphy.

anncoates wrote: »

Even if he's found guilty, he won't be stripped of his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

Paul Murphy was only in Jobstown on his holidays, and got caught up in the protests. also, Military Junta...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jawgap wrote: »
    Even if he's found guilty, he won't be stripped of his seat.

if he goes to jail his seat is gone

Advertisement