Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Graham wrote: »
    0.18% not 18%

That's zero point one eight.

It makes zero difference,the people of Tallaght stand firmly against government led quangos.

Making up figures appears to be a trend,the majority says NO.

And no amount of mythical maths will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

I assume that nobody is yet charged as I write this. Once people are charged the sub judice rule will operate and public commentary will be very constrained.

I think that there has to be a very serious doubt as to whether or not a jury can be empanelled that will be capable of rendering a fair and impartial verdict either way.

If the jury is largely comprised of members who hold strong views against water charges they might well be biased towards the protesters. Conversely, if they are supportive of water charges (some people are) they might take against the protesters. The indictment will make no mention of water charges but in the real world they lie at the heart of the actions leading to the prosecutions.

It would be futile for a judge to ask jurors if they hold any potential bias.

These cases might fall within the scope of justification for a trial before a three judge court in the non-jury Special Criminal Court. I wouldn't be worried if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gladrags wrote: »
    It makes zero difference,the people of Tallaght stand firmly against government led quangos.

do you have any figures to back that up?

It's not a protest for democracy, it's a protest against paying for the upkeep and provision of an essential resource. It sounds like your confusing the two.

Yes it is.

No confusion, people expressing their democratic right to protest,for what they believe in.

Nothing new or strange in mass protests in a democracy.

And water is not the only issue,but it has become the gathering point for many others.

Bin the Bills

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Yes it is.

No confusion, people expressing their democratic right to protest,for what they believe in.

Nothing new or strange in mass protests in a democracy.

And water is not the only issue,but it has become the gathering point for many others.

Bin the Bills

Bin the Bills ???? Have we discovered oil or diamonds, thus eliminating the need to pay for anything ?

I support the democratic right to protest. However, that right is not absolute especially when it comes in to conflict with other rights and responsibilities.

• Advertisement

do you have any figures to back that up?

Eurostat.

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    Bin the Bills ???? Have we discovered oil or diamonds, thus eliminating the need to pay for anything ?

I support the democratic right to protest. However, that right is not absolute especially when it comes in to conflict with other rights and responsibilities.

Indeed,why are we wasting billions on an entity that has clearly shown its inability to function,in order to preserve our most precious natural resource.?

Are you suggesting we should continue to throw billions at it,at the taxpayers expense.?

And then pay for that honour twice,or three or four times,if you include the fact that the pension fund was raided to upkeep this government quango.

Feel free to do so my friend.

Eurostat.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

AnnaStezia wrote: »

We haven't discovered oil or diamonds but we haven't lost our ability to count either.

Here's an example of my counting.

Government figures say it costs €1.2 billion per year to provide water and all the infrastructure that goes with it.

The way bills are at the moment, Irish Water are hoping to collect €60 million per quarter but aren't getting anywhere near that.

Irish business paid €175 million towards water last year.

1,025,000,000 = cost needed to be covered by income from households.

60,000,000 x 4 = 240,000,000 = revenue if everybody pays.

785,000,000 = Heuston, we have a problem.

This is back of an envelope calculations, I'll freely admit to this but even my figures don't include the cost of setting up the utility, interest repayments, the cost of collecting the money, investment in infrastructure etc. etc.

Bills will have to skyrocket if the Irish Water shambles is to break even.

People have a right to be annoyed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes it is.

You're half right, people have a democratic right to protest.

That does not remotely equate to it being a protest about democracy.

• Advertisement

No mythical math involved, you could almost take your socks off and count the number of protestors yourself.

A teeny, tiny, some would say minuscule proportion of the Tallaght population turned out to protest.

link?

Bye

No mythical math involved, you could almost take your socks off and count the number of protestors yourself.

A teeny, tiny, some would say minuscule proportion of the Tallaght population turned out to protest.

You will see them again on August 29th,along with tens of thousands from all over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Try googling for yourself. Words like "Jobstown" "Joan Burton" "Youtube". It's better you have a look for yourself in case a Government shill leads you astray!

So As I thought, That's a no to Evidence then. I mean I asked for evidence then one says look for it, great job. Normally one provides when asked or admits they were wrong. :rolleyes:

Bye

i'll take that as a no then.

So As I thought, That's a no to Evidence then. I mean I asked for evidence then one says look for it, great job. Normally one provides when asked or admits they were wrong. :rolleyes:

It sounds like the DPP thinks there's sufficient evidence to warrant a prosecution. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

link?

from the CSO website. http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/advice,2015,classification.pdf

27% is the more realistic percentage of costs collected so far.

It sounds like the DPP thinks there's sufficient evidence to warrant a prosecution. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

After a week not a peep. It's almost if someone went "Jesus look at all the bad press."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I eagerly await RTE charging the people involved!

from the CSO website. http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/advice,2015,classification.pdf

it was this claim that i was looking for figures for

have not <> will not

• Advertisement

have not <> will not

Any payment figures ? Or we going to dance all day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

have not <> will not

Roll up, roll up folks.......as of tomorrow the application forms for your water bribe are being sent out.
    All they require is your name, address, PPS number and bank details.
    What could possibly go wrong?????

You gotta laugh though, they must think paddy really is as thick as two short planks, and maybe in some cases.....he is.

The amount of redacted figures in that report is a joke.
    Did a certain Malteser have anything to do with writing it?

NorthStars wrote: »
    Roll up, roll up folks.......as of tomorrow the application forms for your water bribe are being sent out.
    All they require is your name, address, PPS number and bank details.
    What could possibly go wrong?????

You gotta laugh though, they must think paddy really is as thick as two short planks, and maybe in some cases.....he is.

In other completely unrelated news we're also going to have weather.

And another database that the SW department already have. They have all this information if you receive anything from them. Who are they collecting this stuff for this time ?

You're at your level now Graham.:cool:

You're at your level now Graham.:cool:

Sorry I just assumed you'd given up completely on the topic of the Jobstown water protesters being charged.

And another database that the SW department already have. They have all this information if you receive anything from them. Who are they collecting this stuff for this time ?

Name, address (with the new eircode joke numbers attached I would presume), PPS number and bank details.
    What do you think?

Sorry I just assumed you'd given up completely on the topic of the Jobstown water protesters being charged.

Don't be sorry.:)
    You don't see the connection between water protests and the water conservation grant/bribe?
    Fair enough.

• Advertisement

Name, address (with the new eircode joke numbers attached I would presume), PPS number and bank details.
    What do you think?

I know what I think, I am wondering what the pro side will think and spin this as.

Advertisement