Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

NorthStars wrote: »
    What about it?

What about it is the lad has every right to express his opinion.

Certainly better than trying to get him infracted for back seat modding .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

conorh91 wrote: »
    This thread is about the Jobstown protest and the groups involved.

Nobody cares whether you pay your bills nor not. It's not "tough", it's irrelevant.

This thread,it appears to me,is directly related to the water protests.

And I note that there are an increasing number of threads cropping up,as a result of the water protests.

What does that tell you.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

gladrags wrote: »

And I note that there are an increasing number of threads cropping up,as a result of the water protests.

Nobody seems to want to answer the question about these cases though.
    I mean, they were full of themselves last week, rubbing their hands with glee.
    Now??? well we can see the quality of their contributions on this thread in the last few pages.
    10 days since the leak to the press and nothing, nada, zilch.

I reckon Brendan Howlin had a word with his niece in the DPP's office and it'll be quietly forgotten.
    Election looms and all that......

That people are getting very brassed off with these punters trying hog the social media outlets with their rhetoric.

That they have little else to do with their time, that's what it tells me since you asked.

conorh91 wrote: »
    No. Standing at a gate and impeding entry to a building is not false imprisonment. Blocking the roads and making someone go the long way around is not false imprisonment.

These are the sorts of delay usually associated with peaceful protests.

These people are not being charged with "delaying a politician". That is not, nor was it ever, a crime.

Any word on what they're being charged with yet?
    Apart from the leak and mindless speculation from the prow-IW/anti-Paul Murphy brigade, any factual charges yet?

• Advertisement

That people are getting very brassed off with these punters trying hog the social media outlets with their rhetoric.

That they have little else to do with their time, that's what it tells me since you asked.

Middle Ireland won't stand for it Lad...I'm tellin' ya!:rolleyes:

Middle Ireland won't stand for it Lad...I'm tellin' ya!:rolleyes:

Make no mistake about that, my friend.

The game is up.

ROTFL!!!

Is it any wonder people are protesting and refusing to engage with this scam/sham?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-proposed-change-to-link-100-grant-to-payment-1.2322220

It'll be on the government books for 10 years according to this.
    But they don't want us to pay twice....nosireeebob!!

This scam has been one huge waste of our money, no wonder people got upset.

Make no mistake about that, my friend.

The game is up.

I'm about as much your 'friend' as you are 'Middle Ireland'.;)

The game is up ok....for the IW scam.:)

The people are not getting brassed of with the water charge protests,they support the protests.

Totally.

• Advertisement

The people are not getting brassed of with the water charge protests,they support the protests.

Totally.

Thread degenerating into foolishness, outa here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That the same people starting them still havent got jobs yet?

VinLieger wrote: »

LOL.

The premise for the pro-water tax lot is that anyone against it is unemployed.

No, lets do a small bit of maths, shall we?

1.4 million liable households. That's households, not people, liable.

57% haven't paid for the IW scam, according to IW.

That would be around 798,000 households not engaging.

Just remind me there, someone from the pro-IW/pro-government side, how many people are unemployed in this country.

Thanks in advance.............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

LOL.

The premise for the pro-water tax lot is that anyone against it is unemployed.

No, lets do a small bit of maths, shall we?

1.4 million liable households. That's households, not people, liable.

Just remind me there, someone from the pro-IW/pro-government side, how many people are unemployed in this country.

Thanks in advance.............:)

You would need to update your calculations. The figures you quoted were announced on 15 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You would need to update your calculations. The figures you quoted were announced on 15 July.

You need to read the latest articles from government spokespeople where the government "are hopeful that they can get to 60% compliance by the election"

this is from today!

But sure there is 40,000 a week signing up isnt there......

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

No, one cannot draw that conclusion, because it includes householders who have registered, but simply haven't paid their bills yet. I include myself in that. I have registered and, to the best my knowledge, our bill hasn't been paid.

I think Irish Water has been an unmitigated disaster, but I will pay our bill, probably at the last minute in fairness (as good household budgeting dictates).

So just be aware you're including people like me in the sum of people who are "not engaging", i.e. people who accept the legitimacy of water charges but have not yet paid our bill, but have every intention of doing so.

listermint wrote: »
    You need to read the latest articles from government spokespeople where the government "are hopeful that they can get to 60% compliance by the election"

this is from today!

But sure there is 40,000 a week signing up isnt there......

:pac:

40,000 would be a fair figure, probably a bit on the conservative side. That is around 40,000 per week paying their first bill for the water they have used. That's the new system now.

It's too late to sign up now, but you will still get a bill anyway with a charge of €64.
    Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

40,000 would be a fair figure, probably a bit on the conservative side. That is around 40,000 per week paying their first bill for the water they have used. That's the new system now.

It's too late to sign up now, but you will still get a bill anyway with a charge of €64.
    Ali.

"hopeful to reach 60%"

Your illusion that 40,000 are signing up each week is just that.

Your some man for the mantra though il hand ya that.

That is truly a remark you would expect to hear from a drunken FG TD,adding to a night time debate,after spending the day in the Dail bar.

And to be fair,you are not alone.

It is very noticeable that such comments bereft of dignity and respect,are becoming commonplace,as Irish water sinks into the mire.

listermint wrote: »
    "hopeful to reach 60%"

Your illusion that 40,000 are signing up each week is just that.

Your some man for the mantra though il hand ya that.

Where did you see this "hopeful to reach 60%"?

Forget about the signing up thing. It's the numbers paying their bills I am writing about.

• Advertisement

You reckon the amount who are refusing to pay is equal to the rate of unemployment?

Ali.

40,000 a week eh?
    Now, even the government spinners reckon they might hit 60% by the time of the election.
    That election is rumoured to be next March, so say, around another 28/30 weeks or so.
    That's around 1.2 million more people paying, by your reckoning.
    Indeed, it's well over 120%, if that's even possible.:D

Mind you, with the way Fianna Gael/Lab/IW spin figures, anything's possible, I suppose.

You reckon the amount who are refusing to pay is equal to the rate of unemployment?

I have no idea what you mean there.

There were 895,000 unpaid first bills out there on 15 July. People had been paying at the rate of 48,200 on average for the previous 14 weeks. It's not unreasonable to think that it would continue at much the same rate. Especially given that the the second bills are now out and arrears of the first are included for those who did not pay their first bill.

That is truly a remark you would expect to hear from a drunken FG TD,adding to a night time debate,after spending the day in the Dail bar.

And to be fair,you are not alone.

It is very noticeable that such comments bereft of dignity and respect,are becoming commonplace,as Irish water sinks into the mire.

Surprised there wasn't an ISIS reference thrown for good measure tbh......

There were 895,000 unpaid first bills out there on 15 July. People had been paying at the rate of 48,200 on average for the previous 14 weeks. It's not unreasonable to think that it would continue at much the same rate. Especially given that the the second bills are now out and arrears of the first are included for those who did not pay their first bill.

To be perfectly honest, I think people who believe the farce that is IW will continue after the GE, are deluded in the extreme.

I read today that some FF people are stating that the abolishment of IW and domestic charges will be a precondition of supporting FG in government.

Of course, some people were paying up.
    This was before IW failed the Eurostat test and people realised that not only were they paying a water charge directly, they were also paying through their general taxation. Not to mention the subventions from the LGF, NPRF etc etc etc....

A scam is a scam. Paddy will wake up to it sooner or later.

To be perfectly honest, I think people who believe the farce that is IW will continue after the GE, are deluded in the extreme.

I read today that some FF people are stating that the abolishment of IW and domestic charges will be a precondition of supporting FG in government.

What qualifies you to make this prediction? It doesn't carry any more weight with me than the prediction I kept reading a couple of years back that the property tax was on it's last legs.

What qualifies you to make this prediction? It doesn't carry any more weight with me than the prediction I kept reading a couple of years back that the property tax was on it's last legs.

Don't you mean the HHC?

They turned that over to revenue and called it a LPT when they couldn't collect it.

Funnily enough the exact same amount collected in LPT was channeled, through the LGF, in subvention to IW.

A scam is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats great and all they are saying that but have they provided any solution on how to get rid of it or what to replace it with beyond keep doing it the way it was? Which even anti charges people have to admit was an unmitigated failure leaving 60% leakage in some areas around the country and an average of 40% nationwide

• Advertisement

Thats great and all they are saying that but have they provided any solution on how to get rid of it or what to replace it with beyond keep doing it the way it was? Which even anti charges people have to admit was an unmitigated failure leaving 60% leakage in some areas around the country and an average of 40% nationwide

Why not set up a quango, use existing LA workers (as was pointed out by Eurostat), add another layer of bureaucracy, keep it on the government balance sheet and set a target of only 20% leakage over 25 years.......

Oh wait........

Advertisement