Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

NorthStars wrote: »
    Why not set up a quango, use existing LA workers (as was pointed out by Eurostat), add another layer of bureaucracy, keep it on the government balance sheet and set a target of only 20% leakage over 25 years.......

Oh wait........

Again whats the replacement? Its all well and good tearing something down and disagreeing with how its run but to be taken seriously you should be able to explain how to do it better.

Im no fan of IW but i have not heard one viable alternative that makes sense from anyone in the opposition which i suppose is typical as they don't really need to provide real alternatives to get elected.

What I do find kinda funny is people are apparently so annoyed by the lies FG and Labour told but are so willing to believe anything the current opposition say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

VinLieger wrote: »
    Again whats the replacement? Its all well and good tearing something down and disagreeing with how its run but to be taken seriously you should be able to explain how to do it better.

Isn't that the question that was asked about the LA's providing water services in 2011?

So, it's all well and good tearing something down and disagreeing how it's run, but to then set up this joke of a quango, and it is a quango by it's very definition since the Eurostat test, has been an absolute joke.

A scam is a scam, no two ways about it.

P1ss up in a brewery comes to mind.

Isn't that the question that was asked about the LA's providing water services in 2011?

So, it's all well and good tearing something down and disagreeing how it's run, but to then set up this joke of a quango, and it is a quango by it's very definition since the Eurostat test, has been an absolute joke.

A scam is a scam, no two ways about it.

P1ss up in a brewery comes to mind.

Thank you captain hindsight, now again whats the solution?

Thank you captain hindsight, now again whats the solution?

A national 'water board' coordinating the LA's and their staff and an infrastructural upgrade programme, funded from central taxation and a percentage, possibly around 25%, of the LGF.

Tear that apart if you like, captain, but I tell you now, I'll never pay a direct water charge to the quango that is IW.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A national 'water board' coordinating the LA's and their staff and an infrastructural upgrade programme, funded from central taxation and a percentage, possibly around 25% of the LGF.

Tear that apart if you like, captain, but I tell you now, I'll never pay a direct water charge to the quango that is IW.

Is this the planned defence strategy?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Is this the planned defence strategy?

Yea, if you say so. :rolleyes:

A national 'water board' coordinating the LA's and their staff and an infrastructural upgrade programme, funded from central taxation and a percentage, possibly around 25%, of the LGF.

That's ideal I'll admit but without direct payments into it of some form the thing will never be funded anywhere near to what it needs to be thanks to our everything goes into a giant pork barrel taxation system, so until that is done away with which isn't going to happen anytime soon then we need a direct tax.

I'm not arguing that IW is good I'm just saying many on here are against paying directly for water in any form which with our taxation system it is then unrealistic to expect a properly funded water system from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A very worthwhile post I'm sure you'll agree. :rolleyes:

About as worthwhile as thr 'middle ireland' nonsense in here, yeah.

Where did you see this "hopeful to reach 60%"?

Forget about the signing up thing. It's the numbers paying their bills I am writing about.

Funny how you have yet to respond to conorh91's post that points out he is o e of the people you are trying to list, but like many just has not got around to paying the bill yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny how you have yet to respond to conorh91's post that points out he is o e of the people you are trying to list, but like many just has not got around to paying the bill yet.

There is nothing for me to respond to and he wasn't addressing his post to me anyway.

He makes the point that he does not like IW but he has registered and will get round to paying his bill soon. He does not want to be counted among those who intend never to pay their bill.

I would think he is representative of a large number of people who are not in the habit of paying every bill as soon as they get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are the Jobstown 23 ever going to be charged? will Ibrahim Halawa be released and given the freedom of Cairo before the water protesters are charged?

There is nothing for me to respond to and he wasn't addressing his post to me anyway.

He makes the point that he does not like IW but he has registered and will get round to paying his bill soon. He does not want to be counted among those who intend never to pay their bill.

I would think he is representative of a large number of people who are not in the habit of paying every bill as soon as they get it.

Ah cock, was on the bus on my phone and quoted the wrong person - was intended for NorthStars. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are the Jobstown 23 ever going to be charged? will Ibrahim Halawa be released and given the freedom of Cairo before the water protesters are charged?

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

Alan Shatter.?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As I wrote in Politics Cafe. Applies here. This is the type Paul Murphy attract.
    Why were more people not protesting against the USC - the most extreme austerity tax of them all?

Answer - you have to work to pay USC.

With the water charges there is an element who never had to contribute anything to society and are suddenly asked to contribute something and they don't like it. They tend to be more reactionary and less open to logical discussion or reason about such matters.

As I wrote in Politics Cafe. Applies here. This is the type Paul Murphy attract.

There you go, another one using the 'unemployed scroungers' tactic.

Once again, 43% have allegedly paid up out of 1.4 million households according to IW.

That leaves almost 800,000 households who haven't paid up.

How many people in this country are unemployed?

Work it out yourself.

N.B.Good to see the usual nodding dogs appreciate your generalisations.

You know the theme music from Laurel & Hardy??
    That's what comes into my head every time I hear IW mentioned.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/another-irish-water-uturn-tds-demand-rethink-of-100-for-water-bill-rebels-31464553.html

Another fine mess you got me into AK47............

De do de do....de do de do.....do do do do......do do do do.........

BTW, lads & lassies, any sigh of the court cases yet?
    Any charges?
    Anyone sent forward for trial?

Na?
    Howlers really must have had a word with his niece, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Once again, 43% have allegedly paid up out of 1.4 million households according to IW.

Work it out yourself.

Do you not think a lot of people aren't paying because they know nothing will happen if they don't?

Work it out yourself.

You have no idea the percentage of those households that are avidly against it or simple wait and see chancers who will pay on the last day but willing to wait it out and see if they can get away with it.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Do you not think a lot of people agent paying because they know nothing will happen if they don't?

No, I think a lot of people aren't paying because they know a scam when they see it.
    IW was one too many from this government.

• Advertisement

You have no idea the percentage of those households that are avidly against it or simple wait and see chancers who will pay on the last day but willing to wait it out and see if they can get away with it.

Is this the latest defence of the quango, lads?

Seriously!!!:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Yep.

The only way to have an idea is to judge the protests.

Around what 100 thousand at the biggest one?

So lets just say there is a high percentage who are waiting and chancing as you said.

Is this the latest defence of the quango, lads?

Seriously!!!:o:o:o

Im not defending the quango im making the point you are making wild baseless claims that every single person who hasn't pay is avidly anti charges

Also learn to straw man better

Im not defending the quango im making the point you are making wild baseless claims that every single person who hasn't pay is avidly anti charges

Also learn to straw man better

So, by your reckoning, people are just playing it by ear?

Much like the way this joke was set-up.

FF now saying they'll dismantle IW and there will be no direct charges too.

FG are on their own with this one, 'cause labour are dead in the water...pardon the pun.
    I hope AK47's brother has a nice number lined up for him.

Has anyone heard anything further about the 23 proposed court cases?

It's eerily quiet since last week.

Hilarious

So, by your reckoning, people are just playing it by ear?

I know several people who are, all people who aren't necessarily against charges but just if they don't have to pay another tax they would give it a shot

Has anyone heard anything further about the 23 proposed court cases?

It's eerily quiet since last week.

All forgotten in the stampede to point fingers.

Twice removed from reality.

The ideologues left the their ideology in the toilet.

gladrags wrote: »
    All forgotten in the stampede to point fingers.

Twice removed from reality.

The ideologues left the their ideology in the toilet.

See IW makes the main headline on the news again today.
    And it wasn't even Comedy Central.

Who needs Paul Murphy or protesters when the joke quango is eating itself?

What a disgusting waste of our tax euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks, Water charges are hear to stay as Fine Gael will be re elected in the next government as we have a herd mentality when it comes to voting like what happened in the UK with the conservatives back in power. If you believe the political spin from other parties about abolishing IW if they get back in your a fool. If people don't want to pay that's there choice and they can take the penalty hit down the road.

Advertisement