Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NorthStars wrote: »
    Grand.

So you see no conflict of interests in having the niece of a current labour minister being involved in the direction of a case involving the leader of the labour party?

Just so as we know.

I don't see this being an issue to be honest.
    I'm sure she'll declare her relationship and be exempt from the case.

I say this and i'm against water charges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Grand.

So you see no conflict of interests in having the niece of a current labour minister being involved in the direction of a case involving the leader of the labour party?

Just so as we know.

I thought I'd made my position quite clear.

Just so we know, what is the specific accusation you're making against this person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

Some transparency about this matter would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's really irrelevant anyway. Worst case scenario is her being completely biased and directing a prosecution out of pure badness. They still have to go before the court where a judge can throw out the case if he believes there is not sufficient evidence to justify the charge.

Graham wrote: »
    I thought I'd made my position quite clear.

Just so we know, what is the specific accusation you're making against this person?

I don't think it could be much clearer Graham.
    You have heard the term 'conflict of interests' I presume?

Having a close relative of a minister, involved in directing the prosecution of people who allegedly committed crimes against his party leader would seem to me to be the very definition of a conflict of interest.

• Advertisement

I don't think it could be much clearer Graham.
    You have heard the term 'conflict of interests' I presume?

Having a close relative of a minister, involved in directing the prosecution of people who allegedly committed crimes against his party leader would seem to me to be the very definition of a conflict of interest.

I don't think being the niece of someone working for the same organisation as someone else constitutes conflict of interest. I suggest you go and check the definition of conflict of interest.

You should also go and check the law society rules for handling potential conflicts of interest and come back when you have evidence that they have been broken.

I don't think being the niece of someone working for the same organisation as someone else constitutes conflict of interest. I suggest you go and check the definition of conflict of interest.

You should also go and check the law society rules for handling potential conflicts of interest and come back when you have evidence that they have been broken.

We'll see how it plays out.
    Trying to get evidence from one of the most tightly controlled offices of the state is asking a lot, isn't it?
    This country thrives on a nod and a wink culture, that's well known, although constantly denied by those with a certain agenda.
    Actually, I do know a recently retired DPP in a personal capacity, if I bump into him and the opportunity arises I'll ask his opinion.

We'll see how it plays out.
    Trying to get evidence from one of the most tightly controlled offices of the state is asking a lot, isn't it?
    This country thrives on a nod and a wink culture, that's well known, although constantly denied by those with a certain agenda.
    Actually, I do know a recently retired DPP in a personal capacity, if I bump into him and the opportunity arises I'll ask his opinion.

So to summarise, you have nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

This is an obvious conflict of interest.

None of your posts carry credibility after that revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I think a better summary would be. "If they don't make the decision I want then there must be a conflict."

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote: »
    This is an obvious conflict of interest.

None of your posts carry credibility after that revelation.
    I think a better summary would be. "If they don't make the decision I want then there must be a conflict."

Well done lads.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So, you're disputing the official figures from IW.
    Interesting..........;)

Nope. You say 800,000 "refuse" to pay when thst is entirely untrue. In reality, that is the number who have yet to pay, many of whom like conorh91 plan on paying at a later stage. A fact which you are well aware of but choose to ignore because, well, confirmation bias. Kind of the same reason you chose to make the same 'error' again.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope. You say 800,000 "refuse" to pay when thst is entirely untrue. In reality, that is the number who have yet to pay, many of whom like conorh91 plan on paying at a later stage. A fact which you are well aware of but choose to ignore because, well, confirmation bias. Kind of the same reason you chose to make the same 'error' again.

Facts are facts.
    Numbers are numbers.
    No 'error' at all.

Any sign of the court cases?

Nope? It's a tactic to scare a whole community into surrender. It won't work.

Strange how none of the IW cheerleaders are calling for prosecutions of an offence undermining the office of the DPP though...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/water-protest-criminal-charges-leaked-paul-murphy-1.2328161

“A significant criminal offence has been committed by somebody in interfering with the administration of justice by leaking the fact that people are due to face serious charges. That serves a proper criminal investigation and prosecution,”

Delay an auld wan in her state sponsored car, where she plays on her state sponsored iPhone in between sneering and laughing at the people who elected her, for a couple of hours and it's the end of the world.

Someone subverting the office of the DPP and not a peep!

Irish standards, eh???

Will the mole, if exposed, be charged with any offence?
    Only the DPP can answer that but hopefully yes.
    Strange how none of the IW cheerleaders are calling for prosecutions of an offence undermining the office of the DPP though...

<SNIP>

Someone subverting the office of the DPP and not a peep!

Irish standards, eh???

Your most recent post appears to be suffering from an appalling attack of selective recall. I do hope it recovers soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Murphy has now submitted multiple complaints to the DPP and Guardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Your most recent post appears to be suffering from an appalling attack of selective recall. I do hope it recovers soon.

See: 800,000 "refusing" to pay / conorh91's post clearing that up.

Quick summary of confirmation bias: also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses while giving disproportionately less attention to information that contradicts it.

Basically, while we all saw conorh91's post showing exactly how NS's "facts" were incorrect, this is likely what he saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Facts are facts.
    Numbers are numbers.
    No 'error' at all.

Any sign of the court cases?

Nope? It's a tactic to scare a whole community into surrender. It won't work.

Seems to be working with you, you seem very anxious about this upcoming event?

Strangely jumpy one might even surmise?

Surely you weren't there battering the Ministers car, preventing people from leaving, chucking bricks, whilst waving smart phones in the air shouting "Peacefull Protest"

Surely not!

There there, that's settled, don't be worrying about 'The Brickman ' and the others, the law will take its course, wheels of justice grind slowly...

Brenner says relaaax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Seems to be working with you, you seem very anxious about this upcoming event?

Strangely jumpy one might even surmise?

Surely you weren't there battering the Ministers car, preventing people from leaving, chucking bricks, whilst waving smart phones in the air shouting "Peacefull Protest"

Surely not!

There there, that's settled, don't be worrying about 'The Brickman ' and the others, the law will take its course, wheels of justice grind slowly...

Brenner says relaaax

Who was chucking brinks now at a water protest ?

Aaahhh, thanks Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hopefully there will be a large turnout for the protest on Saturday and the Eirigi/facists/provos stay at home!

The leak about protesters being charged is just an attempt to portray those taking part in these legitimate protests as rabble and troublemakers. Moany Joany enda(where oh where is enda), alan kelly, leo vradkar etc think they can keep Mr & Mrs middle Ireland from attending these legitimate protests by painting those who attend as rabble and violent but they will be shown the real power of the peaceful protest on Saturday!

Who was chucking brinks now at a water protest ?

Everyone.
    Hours after the protest finished and the coppers came to effect an arrest warrant.

These pro-water charge lemmings see what they want to see.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be a large turnout for the protest on Saturday and the Eirigi/facists/provos stay at home!

The leak about protesters being charged is just an attempt to portray those taking part in these legitimate protests as rabble and troublemakers. Moany Joany enda(where oh where is enda), alan kelly, leo vradkar etc think they can keep Mr & Mrs middle Ireland from attending these legitimate protests by painting those who attend as rabble and violent but they will be shown the real power of the peaceful protest on Saturday!

I would have through ignoring illegal/threatening activities at protests would be more likely to put off Mr and Mrs middle Ireland.

foggy_lad wrote: »

The leak about protesters being charged is just an attempt to portray those taking part in these legitimate protests as rabble and troublemakers

The protest is being backed by a fair few unions too.

According to the boys on here most people who protest are 'welfare soaks'.
    So 'middle Ireland' says anyway.

Billy86 wrote: »
    See: 800,000 "refusing" to pay / conorh91's post clearing that up.

Quick summary of confirmation bias: also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses while giving disproportionately less attention to information that contradicts it.

Basically, while we all saw conorh91's post showing exactly how NS's "facts" were incorrect, this is likely what he saw.

43% have paid up according to the latest IW figures.

Cop yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

43% have paid up according to the latest IW figures.

Cop yourself on.

Careful 5 week old information could get one burned at the stake. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Careful 5 week old information could get one burned at the stake. :p

You could also say that some of that 43% who paid the first bill won't be paying the second bill as it is apparent that IW are in severe trouble and no one wants to pay a bill that may not be collected if IW goes the way of the dodo ;)

I wish the Irish people could all just get on the same page like France, say "no find another way" and this debacle would have been finished a long time ago.

I wish the Irish people could all just get on the same page like France, say "no find another way" and this debacle would have been finished a long time ago.

There's a lot of taxpayers money to be wasted on the quango and on dodgy court proceedings in the run up to an election before IW is dismantled.

Basically, it's a management system for existing LA workers/a new layer of bureaucracy, being funded from the exchequer with subvention from the LGF, the NPRF etc etc, with a dodgy billing system thrown in for good measure.

Jobs for the boys, FFail style.

And these clowns wonder why there's protests and mass non payment!!!!:o

BTW, any sign of the fabled court cases yet???? Anyone????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There's a lot of taxpayers money to be wasted on the quango and on dodgy court proceedings in the run up to an election before IW is dismantled.

Basically, it's a management system for existing LA workers/a new layer of bureaucracy, being funded from the exchequer with subvention from the LGF, the NPRF etc etc, with a dodgy billing system thrown in for good measure.

Jobs for the boys, FFail style.

And these clowns wonder why there's protests and mass non payment!!!!:o

BTW, any sign of the fabled court cases yet???? Anyone????

Still worrying about the court cases?
    They will come all in good time, the way it should be.

You know what they say about a rush to justice..

Relaaaaax

Advertisement