Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't have a transcript of what Paul Murphy said, but if he didn't say something along the lines of "Surround her car, don't let her out", then what can he be in trouble for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't have a transcript of what Paul Murphy said, but if he didn't say something along the lines of "Surround her car, don't let her out", then what can he be in trouble for?

I believe it was "Should we let her out?"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

if he goes to jail his seat is gone

...For 6 months or more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

paulbok wrote: »
    She was a TD, stands to reason there was a good chance she would be going to the Dáil.

And like a lot of our hard working TD's, she probably had an urgent appointment with the Dáil bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And like a lot of our hard working TD's, she probably had an urgent appointment with the Dáil bar.

whether she was going to the dail or not is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Delighted for them. The right to protest does not give you the right to act like an utter scumbag.

Hopefully there will be convictions out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

if he goes to jail his seat is gone

Will make for an interesting election so.

Jawgap wrote: »

yes well done. Two criminal cases involving farmers, neither anything to do with protests / blocking traffic etc.

What exactly do they have to do with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Political policing at it's finest. Whether you agree or disagree at people's ability to protest that's not really the issue here. By any European standard this was an extremely ordered and peaceful protest, Blocking has been used everywhere. I think the problem is People are not used to protests, Protests for legitimate reasons. The political elite consider themselves untouchable and beyond the people they “SERVE”. I would hardly call a person in their car on their smart phone smiling terrified for their lives. The Garda presence was huge, This was a calculated move. At any time the area could have been cleared and the car let on it's way.

I was going to link some protests in Europe but why bother, A water balloon and a bit of car shaking is the destruction of Irish society and anarchy on the streets. Ironically if this was Labours protest They would not be using terrified and detained all that emotive language. I do not condone the actions.

Political policing at it's finest. Whether you agree or disagree at people's ability to protest that's not really the issue here. By any European standard this was an extremely ordered and peaceful protest, Blocking has been used everywhere. I think the problem is People are not used to protests, Protests for legitimate reasons. The political elite consider themselves untouchable and beyond the people they “SERVE”. I would hardly call a person in their car on their smart phone smiling terrified for their lives. The Garda presence was huge, This was a calculated move. At any time the area could have been cleared and the car let on it's way.

I was going to link some protests in Europe but why bother, A water balloon and a bit of car shaking is the destruction of Irish society and anarchy on the streets. Ironically if this was Labours protest They would not be using terrified and detained all that emotive language. I do not condone the actions.

so what do you think the gardai should have done about it? leave them at it? sure its not as bad as what happens in europe so its grand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

so what do you think the gardai should have done about it? leave them at it? sure its not as bad as what happens in europe so its grand?

I think the Garda should have moved them on if there was any breaches of the peace, And not be pawns in a photo op and political jockeying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

yes well done. Two criminal cases involving farmers, neither anything to do with protests / blocking traffic etc.

What exactly do they have to do with this thread?

Was a response to this:
    Specialun wrote: »
    Farmers have blocked in factories and other protests have blocked in groups and nobody was ever charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

seamus wrote: »
    Because baton charging an already tense mob when they have an innocent civilian's vehicle trapped and surrounded is a stupid idea.
    Fairly massive assumption to say that baton charging would have been required - clear sign that the whole situation has been blown completely out of proportion and rewritten to allow the Gardaí on the day to retain its integrity. The charge of false imprisonment is as farcical now as it was at the time, and I'm pretty sure a court will see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

gandalf wrote: »
    If they charge Murphy it would be a very big mistake. It would guarantee him getting re-elected next year. I would love if they charged everyone but him. Leave him without a cross to jump on to :)

ya do what they did to Elmo on love/hate, implying Murphy informed on the other protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

K4t wrote: »
    Fairly massive assumption to say that baton charging would have been required
    Not really. Force was going to be required, we even saw video footage of scuffles between Gardai and protestors.

How do you think the Gardai were going to clear them - "Ah come on now lads, stand up there ouhta the way"?
    Once they used force, the mob would have all leapt in and the batons would have come out.

To think otherwise shows naivety in the extreme about what kind of thugs were "protesting" that day.

I think the Garda should have moved them on if there was any breaches of the peace, And not be pawns in a photo op and political jockeying.

so move them on physically? Because i dont think a polite request would have cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I believe it was "Should we let her out?"

If that's what he said, what in the name of Jaysus evidence have they against him?

If that's what he said, what in the name of Jaysus evidence have they against him?

"should we let here out." does that not imply he was part of the mob who were preventing her from leaving?

How do you think the Gardai were going to clear them - "Ah come on now lads, stand up there ouhta the way"?
    Once they used force, the mob would have all leapt in and the batons would have come out.

To think otherwise shows naivety in the extreme about what kind of thugs were "protesting" that day.
    To think that the whole mob would have attacked the Gardaí shows naivety in the extreme - you might have had one or two, who could have been swiftly dealt with. Whether under instruction or own inclination, the Gardaí allowed the situation at Jobstown to occur - which is fine I suppose as nobody was hurt. But to come along after the fact and rewrite the story and say someone was falsely imprisoned is delusional in the extreme. The whole mess is only showing the Gardaí to have been wholly incompetent on the day, which I don't think they were, or are.

Murphy's defence here is that the Gardai asked him to put this question to the mob.

But IMHO that actually makes things worse for him because it implies at the time that he knew she was being trapped (therefore the mob had to be "asked" to move), and that Murphy believed he had sufficient authority/sway to ask this question.

If he didn't think she was trapped in the vehicle or that he had any authority he wouldn't have agreed to the Garda request.

That's my view on it.

• Advertisement

"should we let here out." does that not imply he was part of the mob who were preventing her from leaving?
    No - it does imply he can use a megaphone though.

No - it does imply he can use a megaphone though.
    Should we

Implies that he is part of the group.

let her out.

Implies that the group are holding her.

Your continual defence of indefensible is ridiculous. Everyone knows exactly what this was and the only people who believe otherwise are delusional Murphy and his delusional supporters.

To think that the whole mob would have attacked the Gardaí shows naivety in the extreme

There's a cross-section of the travelling protesters (usually joined by assorted local scumbags) who have done almost everything they can to provoke the Gardai into taking a harder line at which point who knows what would happen.

Fair play to the Gardai for the restraint they've clearly demonstrated on a multitude of occasions. Rather than making a bad situation worse they can now allow the law to take its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

But IMHO that actually makes things worse for him because it implies at the time that he knew she was being trapped (therefore the mob had to be "asked" to move), and that Murphy believed he had sufficient authority/sway to ask this question.
    There's no need to overcomplicate it. It doesn't make it worse. You can shrug and comply with a Garda request without believing it will really help.

If PM is to be charged with false imprisonment, I am sure the DPP will have plenty of evidence for that charge. But a video recording of Murphy asking for Burton's release is very unlikely to constitute the causing of a false imprisonment under any literal, or natural and ordinary meaning of that expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

conorh91 wrote: »
    There's no need to overcomplicate it. It doesn't make it worse. You can shrug and comply with a Garda request without believing it will really help.

If PM is to be charged with false imprisonment, I am sure the DPP will have plenty of evidence for that charge. But a video recording of Murphy asking for Burton's release is very unlikely to constitute the causing of a false imprisonment under any literal, or natural and ordinary meaning of that expression.

But he didn't ask for her release.

He asked "Should we let her out?", directly implying that

a) She was in fact being held against her will, and

b) He himself was a party to that fact, and could influence when the "holding against her will" would stop.

Should we

Implies that he is part of the group.

let her out.

Implies that the group are holding her.

Your continual defence of indefensible is ridiculous. Everyone knows exactly what this was and the only people who believe otherwise are delusional Murphy and his delusional supporters.
    While it may imply those things, it still means nothing. It could just as easily be argued that he is speaking in code or referring to the peaceful protestors only. But there is no need for any argument according to yourself - Indefensible? No need for a trial so as you've spoken. And my name isn't Paul Murphy and I'm not a supporter of his, so I suppose I'm just delusional.

While it may imply those things, it still means nothing. It could just as easily be argued that he is speaking in code or referring to the peaceful protestors only. But there is no need for any argument according to yourself - Indefensible? No need for a trial so as you've spoken. And my name isn't Paul Murphy and I'm not a supporter of his, so I suppose I'm just delusional.

I didn't see anyone suggest there's no need for a trial.

I think a trial is a great idea, let a Court decide based on the evidence.

To think that the whole mob would have attacked the Gardaí shows naivety in the extreme - you might have had one or two, who could have been swiftly dealt with. Whether under instruction or own inclination, the Gardaí allowed the situation at Jobstown to occur - which is fine I suppose as nobody was hurt. But to come along after the fact and rewrite the story and say someone was falsely imprisoned is delusional in the extreme. The whole mess is only showing the Gardaí to have been wholly incompetent on the day, which I don't think they were, or are.

i totally agree. the gardai did handle it badly. they were far too lenient with this mob. they should cleared the mob immediately and arrested them all for breach of the peace if they didnt comply.

Graham wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone suggest there's no need for a trial.

I think a trial is a great idea, let a Court decide based on the evidence.

I look forward to the linguistic gymnastics Murphy partakes in to justify what he did

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Was a response to this:

Yes. Blocked in factories and other forms of protest.

Something that neither of those cases have anything to do with.

Advertisement