Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Billy86 wrote: »
    If it is none of my business what goes on in Ireland, then why do I have the right to vote there?

Your argument just gets weaker and weaker. To be honest, its not really even an argument anymore.

Only Residents are, And that has rules around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

NorthStars wrote: »
    What are you on about now?

Last four pages of this thread, for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

So, you don't own a house in Ireland.
    You aren't liable for a water bill.
    You live in Canada, so presumably you work and pay taxes there too.
    And you're coming on here berating people who don't agree with this charge, the quango and the billions of our money being poured into it?

TBH, it's none of your business, it doesn't affect you.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Desperation on your part ,

Didn't know you get to decide who posts
    Gatling wrote: »
    Face it you face palmed a few posts back now it's none of his business really
    Another failure to try to control the thread and shout people down.
    What are you on about now?

Stating my belief that it's not the guys business is all the above now!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

And if one is resident, and doesn't have one's own water source, one is liable for water charges.
    Correct?

And if one is resident, and doesn't have one's own water source, one is liable for water charges.
    Correct?

Aye. But if they are in another country they are not well if they are not on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.

While you may be entitled to register as a voter due to your residency, there may be a limit on the types of elections in which you can vote. The registration authority will need to know your citizenship because this will determine the elections at which you may vote.

The right to vote is as follows:

Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

So yep, I am indeed eligible to vote as I left in January.

You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.

While you may be entitled to register as a voter due to your residency, there may be a limit on the types of elections in which you can vote. The registration authority will need to know your citizenship because this will determine the elections at which you may vote.

The right to vote is as follows:

Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

So yep, I am indeed eligible to vote as I left in January.

So ignoring the Rules part I posted. Is one planning on coming back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I am thinking the amount of paid will drastically drop due to low figures. And the attitude of well If hardly any are paying why should I.

It seems very clear that the mood and trend is for an increase of non payment.

The argument that payment of the first bill will automatically increase is true,but singularly misleading.

You will have a second and possibly a third bill.

And it is highly likely that the second bill will see a higher increase in non payment.

There is no point in trying to argue this with the false perception that an increase of payment for the first bill will point to a compliant consensus.

The other point here is to the reliability of the figures from IW.

So ignoring the Rules part I posted. Is one planning on coming back ?

Nope, simply pointing out that I am eligible to vote. Simple as that.

As for returning or not, most likely but not certain if and/or when.

So in this context being technically able to vote currently does not translate into actually being able to vote when the time comes.

• Advertisement

So in this context being technically able to vote currently does not translate into actually being able to vote when the time comes.

What's your point here? I`m an Irish citizen, passport holder, and am registered to vote there right now.Now explain to me what any of this has to do with my right to post in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

18 months out of the country and you have no right to vote.

18 months out of the country and you have no right to vote.

Well that is alright then, since I have only been gone for 7 and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well that is alright then, since I have only been gone for 7 and a half.

Fine, I was just filling in the detail omitted so far. Long way to come back next spring to vote.

Fine, I was just filling in the detail omitted so far. Long way to come back next spring to vote.

Aye and to pay a water bill.

And I'm just making the point I'm still eligible.

Still up in the air about coming back to vote if the opportunity is open, because they're all pretty useless across the board. Would likely go with independents and/or FG, buy I'm not really all that fond of the latter myself.

And I'm just making the point I'm still eligible.

Still up in the air about coming back to vote if the opportunity is open, because they're all pretty useless across the board. Would likely go with independents and/or FG, buy I'm not really all that fond of the latter myself.

Don't you have to come back and Reside ?

Aye and to pay a water bill.
    The imaginary water bill returns, come back to us in reality there would you.

Don't you have to come back and Reside ?
    Not according to Srameen, so maybe I'll have to look into it more then. Could be eligible for longer than I had thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

So who do you think will be the next taoiseach of the country? Gerry Adams? Paul Murphy? Mick Wallace? Ruth ****ing Coppinger? You are seriously deluded.
    any one of those mentioned would be better than that gangster Enda Kenny,
    deluded yeah ok whatever you say, im a realist, you are clearly brainwashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

jonnny68 wrote: »
    any one of those mentioned would be better than that gangster Enda Kenny,
    deluded yeah ok whatever you say, im a realist, you are clearly brainwashed.

Better in what way exactly? If Murphy was in charge this country would be like Greece- ****ed.

Better in what way exactly? If Murphy was in charge this country would be like Greece- ****ed.

tell me again how the Anti austerity alliance bailed out banks, tell me again how they introduced water charges, tell me again how they implemented cuts after cuts after cuts, i could go on and on and on and on.

Radical change is needed in this country...BIG TIME, otherwise you'll get the vicious political merry go around where the golden circle follow the gravy train, cronyism, jobs for the boys, corruption, lies, deceit.

enough said.

tell me again how the Anti austerity alliance bailed out banks, tell me again how they introduced water charges, tell me again how they implemented cuts after cuts after cuts, i could go on and on and on and on.

Radical change is needed in this country...BIG TIME, otherwise you'll get the vicious political merry go around where the golden circle follow the gravy train, cronyism, jobs for the boys, corruption, lies, deceit.

enough said.

Enough said? All just populist rabble rousing bollocksology

enough said.

The current Government have guided Ireland back on track. There is still a way to go, but we're getting there.

Enough said? All just populist rabble rousing bollocksology

thanks for your thought provoking intelligent response.

bravo old chap!

The current Government have guided Ireland back on track. There is still a way to go, but we're getting there.

:eek::eek: for the select few maybe, the harsh reality is very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

enough said.

Picture what Ireland would be like today if the country had let the banks fail at the time.

Not a pretty sight.

And the cuts were needed to reign in the massive unsustainable overspending in the budget. I'm not sure what you are whining about there.

:eek::eek: for the select few maybe, the harsh reality is very very different.

The reality is different is it? Do me a favour, put your keyboard down, go outside and look around. Now do you REALLY think this country is ****ed? Stop listening to mouthpieces like Murphy who NEED the country to be in trouble to be in anyway relevant and start actually thinking for yourself. All people like you do is rabble rouse and try to influence people who don't know any better. The silent majority in this country know what's actually happening.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Picture what Ireland would be like today if the country had let the banks fail at the time.

Not a pretty sight.

And the cuts were needed to reign in the massive unsustainable overspending in the budget. I'm not sure what you are whining about there.

are you actually for real, spend billions bailing out banks and implement savage cuts and austerity forcing hundreds of thousands to emigrate, people on the breadline trying to make ends meet,people losing their houses, record levels of unemployment carefully massaged by the government and their spin masters to make it look as if it's much lower than what it actually is, fu*k the banks, the people of this country and their welfare must be an absolute priority , that goes for every country.

what did Iceland do, sent the bankers to jail, what did Ireland do, fuc*ing nothing, they rode off into the sunset leaving behind trail of destruction.

• Advertisement

The reality is different is it? Do me a favour, put your keyboard down, go outside and look around. Now do you REALLY think this country is ****ed? Stop listening to mouthpieces like Murphy who NEED the country to be in trouble to be in anyway relevant and start actually thinking for yourself. All people like you do is rabble rouse and try to influence people who don't know any better. The silent majority in this country know what's actually happening.

you are talking absolute tripe, well maybe in middle class Greystones things are flourishing but elsewhere it certainly is not.

For the record i don't necessarily think people like Paul Murphy is the answer,much of what he says makes sense and much of what he says is rubbish, however given the opportunity id take him over the current gangsters in a heartbeat.

Advertisement