Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Im glad to see these people charged, it appears that a certain section of society seem to think they are entitled to take what they want and do what they want whenever they want.
    your glad they were charged because they protested? dangerous view. i'm sure these people will rightly be found not guilty

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You're glad they were charged because they protested? Dangerous view. I'm sure these people will rightly be found not guilty

Dangerous ?.....How so ?

These people have freely protested long before Jobstown.....they continue to freely protest to this day...how can this continuing freedom be regarded as in any way "Dangerous" ?

They are not being charged because they protested....if this were true,then they would have been locked up long long before the Jobstown attack.

I have little doubt but some will be cleared...some will be convicted of lesser offences...but I remain convinced that the balance of evidence available will see some Guilty verdicts being returned.

The Jobstown incident,was a nasty example of just what type of Ireland these people would have us live in.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Dangerous ?.....How so ?

These people have freely protested long before Jobstown.....they continue to freely protest to this day...how can this continuing freedom be regarded as in any way "Dangerous" ?

They are not being charged because they protested....if this were true,then they would have been locked up long long before the Jobstown attack.

I have little doubt but some will be cleared...some will be convicted of lesser offences...but I remain convinced that the balance of evidence available will see some Guilty verdicts being returned.

The Jobstown incident,was a nasty example of just what type of Ireland these people would have us live in.

Sit next to a car = Anarchy.

Migrate into Europe Illegally and break laws = welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sit next to a car = Anarchy.

Migrate into Europe Illegally and break laws = welcome

Falsely imprison people and engage in riotous behaviour including property damage = Up before the courts and take your medicine.

Game is up.

Falsely imprison people and engage in riotous behaviour including property damage = Up before the courts and take your medicine.

Game is up.

What property damage care to link that ? You seem to just be talking about the leaked charges. That could be to do with the brick person after the water protest.

• Advertisement

What property damage care to link that ? You seem to just be talking about the leaked charges. That could be to do with the brick person after the water protest.

Now now, let the law take its course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just like the bankers, corrupt business interests and politicians.
    1. Some "bankers" have gone to prison.More to come before the courts.
    2. Which corrupt business interests?
    3. Which politician broke the law (as opposed to being incompetent)?

Now now, let the law take its course.

So that is a no to linking the old property damage one is so concerned about.

your glad they were charged because they protested? dangerous view. i'm sure these people will rightly be found not guilty

Everyone is free to protest. Always were always will in our great democracy. The charges will be false improsonment etc

• Advertisement

It's amazing how precious people get when it comes to this incident. The protest was NON-VIOLENT.

There is nothing wrong with surrounding a car, as long as you are not causing damage to the vehicle. Being "threatening" is purely subjective. I could feel threatened by teenagers hanging around outside a Spar, but unless they physically touch me I have to accept that they are not committing a crime by staring at me. Similarly, being "menacing" does not actually mean anything. It is purely subjective and has everything to do with you as a person.

When I look at protests around the world which are ACTUALLY violent, from Ferguson, to the student riots in London, to Greece, to the Arab Spring, I shake my head at our pathetically low tolerance level for even the merest hint of civil disobedience.

"Fighting Irish" indeed :o

Says Alleged, You would think the media would have gotten hold of images of wrecked Garda cars would you not ? Sounds like actions that where not connected to the actual protest.

It's amazing how precious people get when it comes to this incident. The protest was NON-VIOLENT.

There is nothing wrong with surrounding a car, as long as you are not causing damage to the vehicle. Being "threatening" is purely subjective. I could feel threatened by teenagers hanging around outside a Spar, but unless they physically touch me I have to accept that they are not committing a crime by staring at me. Similarly, being "menacing" does not actually mean anything. It is purely subjective and has everything to do with you as a person.

When I look at protests around the world which are ACTUALLY violent, from Ferguson, to the student riots in London, to Greece, to the Arab Spring, I shake my head at our pathetically low tolerance level for even the merest hint of civil disobedience.

Imagine the furore if the Jobstown protesters were treated as the ones you mentioned? Would have sent them home crying.

Imagine the furore if the Jobstown protesters were treated as the ones you mentioned? Would have sent them home crying.

Yeah because Violent protest get countered with Riot police. There where Riot police on stand by. They deemed the protest none violent and did not intervene.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai and DPP are obviously fabricating their evidence - POLITICAL POLICING
    :rolleyes:

How do you think those incidents started?
    It doesn't take much for a violent incident to escalate into a riot, especially if people are shouting instructions down a megaphone.
    Is that what you want?

Says Alleged, You would think the media would have gotten hold of images of wrecked Garda cars would you not ? Sounds like actions that where not connected to the actual protest.

Extract
    It is estimated by gardai that a total of 18 officers were assaulted during the melee and nine garda vehicles were damaged, with tyres slashed and windows broken as the protest spiralled out of control.
    Among items stolen from gardai on the day were a pair of handcuffs, an extendable baton, pepper spray and two garda hats.
    In December, gardai expressed concerns that five canisters of pepper spray which were stolen from officers during the protest may have made their way to criminals after pepper spray was used in a number of shop robberies in south Dublin.
    End Extract

Nowt about "alleged" there. My friend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not one of posters here crying crocodile tears over Joan Burton ( a person they couldn't care less about in reality ) would know what to say about a real violent protest if they saw one.

All of this guff about "violent" protest in relation to the nonsense in Jobstown is just political **** as it's from a different side of the political game than theirs.

They wouldn't open their traps if the roles were reversed.

Extract
    It is estimated by gardai that a total of 18 officers were assaulted during the melee and nine garda vehicles were damaged, with tyres slashed and windows broken as the protest spiralled out of control.
    Among items stolen from gardai on the day were a pair of handcuffs, an extendable baton, pepper spray and two garda hats.
    In December, gardai expressed concerns that five canisters of pepper spray which were stolen from officers during the protest may have made their way to criminals after pepper spray was used in a number of shop robberies in south Dublin.
    End Extract

Nowt about "alleged" there. My friend;)

Ah right, So why no arrests if it was that bad on the day ? I think I can guess. Its all very odd the level of reported violence yet not a single person on the day was arrested. Well apart from brick man I think. The level of reported violence would have led to the deployment of the Riot Squad who where there on the day. Odd they just looked on at all this Violence.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Not one of posters here crying crocodile tears over Joan Burton ( a person they couldn't care less about in reality ) would know what to say about a real violent protest if they saw one.

All of this guff about "violent" protest in relation to the nonsense in Jobstown is just political **** as it's from a different side of the political game than theirs.

Political stunt on both parts. JB in the car and PM sitting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Tony EH wrote: »

Ah, they would, Tony, they would defend the right to protest to the hilt if it were reversed.
    It's astounding to hear them whinging over Joan getting splashed with a childs toy, yet in another thread rubbing their paws gleefully at the thought of Paul Murphy or the protesters getting raped in prison.

• Advertisement

Protests have failed. Over 50% have paid, making it a majority are in favour of Irish Water. Many have paid their first and second bills together. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/more-than-half-of-homes-pay-water-bills-in-second-cycle-1.2350400

Protests have failed. Over 50% have paid, making it a majority are in favour of Irish Water. Many have paid their first and second bills together. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/more-than-half-of-homes-pay-water-bills-in-second-cycle-1.2350400

Have they ? How would your business function with 49% none payment. You would go under pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ah right, So why no arrests if it was that bad on the day ? I think I can guess. Its all very odd the level of reported violence yet not a single person on the day was arrested. Well apart from brick man I think. The level of reported violence would have led to the deployment of the Riot Squad who where there on the day. Odd they just looked on at all this Violence.
    You are implying that any level of protest is acceptable until the riot police decide enough is enough. The benchmark of protest is to be a battoncharge?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Have they ? How would your business function with 49% none payment. You would go under pretty fast.

Oh, Dear. It hurts, doesn't it that so many are rightly paying for a utility they avail of rather than put off such payment and being liable for fines and fees.
    Some of those facing charges are the same ones that did time over the bin charges. All for nothing then, as it will be now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Nope 50% of those registered have paid. Either way if the government view 50% as success then they are in bigger trouble than I thought. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    You are implying that any level of protest is acceptable until the riot police decide enough is enough. The benchmark of protest is to be a battoncharge?

Nope, Regular people would find it very odd that Riot police would stand by while they watched people slashing tires assaulting fellow officers. Stealing stuff, Don't you find it odd at all ? No a person arrested either on the day.

Nope 50% of those registered have paid. Either way if the government view 50% as success then they are in bigger trouble than I thought. :)

I'm of a view that's what it means unless we see figures. It's very easy to massage figures that are not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Satriale wrote: »
    Ah, they would, Tony, they would defend the right to protest to the hilt if it were reversed.
    It's astounding to hear them whinging over Joan getting splashed with a childs toy, yet in another thread rubbing their paws gleefully at the thought of Paul Murphy or the protesters getting raped in prison.

Astounding isn't the word for it.

But that's the type of moronic mindset you're dealing with unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nope, Regular people would find it very odd that Riot police would stand by while they watched people slashing tires assaulting fellow officers. Stealing stuff, Don't you find it odd at all ? No a person arrested either on the day.
    The riot police showed restraint, it's what they are trained to do - to react to orders rather than provocation. The lack of arrests on the spot defused a volatile situation and that was a well judged call by the Gardai.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

You don't seem to know too much about managing situations, my friend.

You don't have to be an Einstein to figure out the reason,unless of course you know quite well and think posters in here are fools.

Who do you really think you are fooling here, c'mon.

Advertisement