Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Your post is completely irrelevant, since that post was only elaborating upon a point made by another poster. But I'm guessing you completely missed all of that.

i'm aware of the context. thanks all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nope, I already said they should be arrested for breaching the peace at the time if that happened. After the fact and adding a load of charges is Political, And smacks of political interference and pressure.

Aren't charges often added after the fact, once the DPP has had the opportunity to review any evidence to decide which charges are appropriate?

Nope, I already said they should be arrested for breaching the peace at the time if that happened. After the fact and adding a load of charges is Political, And smacks of political interference and pressure.

so better to let it escalate into a physical confrontation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

seamus wrote: »
    Murphy's defence here is that the Gardai asked him to put this question to the mob.

But IMHO that actually makes things worse for him because it implies at the time that he knew she was being trapped (therefore the mob had to be "asked" to move), and that Murphy believed he had sufficient authority/sway to ask this question.

If the Gardai weren't prepared to intervene, why should Murphy be obligated to intervene?
    If he didn't think she was trapped in the vehicle or that he had any authority he wouldn't have agreed to the Garda request.

We don't know what he would have or wouldn't have agreed. He could claim that was only following instructions that the Gardai gave to him.

The evidence against him is very flimsy to be honest.

Hard to prove in a court of law what he believed, thought etc.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Even if he's found guilty, he won't be stripped of his seat.

Because he won't be re elected.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    why should Murphy be obligated to intervene?

the influence he had already demonstrated over the mob protestors.

How cool, someone that's privy to the evidence. Shouldn't you be keeping that sort of insider information quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

so better to let it escalate into a physical confrontation then?

It did not, Are we inventing things now ?

it didnt because the gardai didnt let it. If they had acted as you think they should a physical confrontation was inevitable.

Graham wrote: »
    the influence he had already demonstrated over the mob protestors.

How cool, someone that's privy to the evidence. Shouldn't you be keeping that sort of insider information quiet?

Interesting the media got told before the people getting charged. Not political at all...

it didnt because the gardai didnt let it. If they had acted as you think they should a physical confrontation was inevitable.

Evidence ? Or is a crystal ball evidence ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

it was 2 hours was it not?

2 hours of smiling and waving at the protesters while she kicked back and played candy crush on her phone. All while an angry terrorist mob wielding bricks and bottles made threats to kill her etc etc.

Evidence ? Or is a crystal ball evidence ?

it doesnt take a crystal ball to see that the mob were out for blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

If the Gardai weren't prepared to intervene, why should Murphy be obligated to intervene?

We don't know what he would have or wouldn't have agreed. He could claim that was only following instructions that the Gardai gave to him.

Hard to prove in a court of law what he believed, thought etc.

The judge could ask him.

He'd hardly lie under oath, would he?

Evidence ?

Evidence ?

i'm sure we have all seen the video by this stage

i'm sure we have all seen the video by this stage

Who was attacked and injured who's blood was to be gotten ? Let me guess a water balloon is a threat to life and property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

conorhal wrote: »
    'Oh you have, in your student days, tell me Joanie, what would that 20 something you think of your testimony today, because I'd reckon you'd sicken yourself'...
    Interestingly enough, Joan Burton was never that kind of student revolutionary, unlike Rabbitte and Gilmore.

She's always been a *relatively* sensible politician, by Labour's standards. I guess it was the accountancy training. She's probably as right-wing as many TDs within FG, and always has been. Her anti-provo stance is longstanding.

Who was attacked and injured who's blood was to be gotten ? Let me guess a water balloon is a threat to life and property.

as you seem so quick to reply to my posts perhaps you might try reading them as well.

Interesting the media got told before the people getting charged. Not political at all...

Who informed the media? Could it have been a tactical release to warn other protesters that illegal actions taken under the 'protest' label will not be tolerated?

as you seem so quick to reply to my posts perhaps you might try reading them as well.

One has no idea what would happen lets stick to the evidence and the facts, It's all a bit fascicle at this stage. If someone's life was in danger the Garda have a Duty of care. Odd they did not extend that duty in this case.

• Advertisement

Who informed the media? Could it have been a tactical release to warn other protesters that illegal actions taken under the 'protest' label will not be tolerated?

Will be a matter for the courts to decide not the political elite. This sticks to high heaven.

One has no idea what would happen lets stick to the evidence and the facts, It's all a bit fascicle at this stage. If someone's life was in danger the Garda have a Duty of care. Odd they did not extend that duty in this case.

nobody mentioned anything about her life being in danger. Lets stick to the evidence and facts shall we.

So the mob was out for blood yet no one was in danger... :confused:
    nobody mentioned anything about her life being in danger. Lets stick to the evidence and facts shall we.

How can the mob be out for blood yet no one was in danger ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

out for blood = idiom meaning 'seeking revenge', not necessarily physical harm
    in danger = in physical danger, not necessarily in mortal danger

The absence of blood/danger suggests the Gardai were quite correct in their approach when the situation could have very easily escalated.

Your photographs earlier in the thread show what happens when protests escalate and get out of hand.

are you always this literal? :rolleyes:

anyway conorh91 beat me to the answer

conorh91 wrote: »
    out for blood = idiom meaning 'seeking revenge', not necessarily physical harm
    in danger = in physical danger, not necessarily in mortal danger
    The absence of blood/danger suggests the Gardai were quite correct in their approach when the situation could have very easily escalated.

Your photographs earlier in the thread show what happens when protests escalate and get out of hand.

Translation, Hyperbole and no one was ever in danger. Glad we cleared that up.

are you always this literal? :rolleyes:

anyway conorh91 beat me to the answer

Why ? One said out for blood not me Has many interpretations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm curious. If you were driving out of a carpark and your car was surrounded by a large group of people who were banging on it, throwing stuff at it and threatening you, what would you do?

• Advertisement

the gardai would certainly have been in danger if they had acted as you suggest. and that is good enough reason for them to act as they did. they showed remarkable restraint.

Advertisement