Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm curious. If you were driving out of a carpark and your car was surrounded by a large group of people who were banging on it, throwing stuff at it and threatening you, what would you do?

I not in government, I have not introduced a charge people don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why dont you just answer the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I didn't ask you if you were in government. I'm not aware of any statute, constitutional provision or oath that relates to politicians giving up their person rights so it's really irrelevant what job you may have.

the gardai would certainly have been in danger if they had acted as you suggest. and tha tis good enough reason for them to act as they did. they showed remarkable restraint.

In danger from who or what now ? These protestors did not act like the video I posted. That was to show what pretty normal protest in the EU look like. To show the ridiculous contrast of a bit of car shaking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm curious. If you were driving out of a carpark and your car was surrounded by a large group of people who were banging on it, throwing stuff at it and threatening you, what would you do?
    Run the fúckers over :eek:

'Your Honour, I truly was in fear for my life' :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Translation, Hyperbole and no one was ever in danger. Glad we cleared that up.

The fact remains, in the face of increasing antagonism from a subset of the protesters in conjunction with a ragtag selection of local scumbags the situation didn't escalate and it appears that those that broke the law will be held accountable.

why dont you just answer the question?
    I didn't ask you if you were in government. I'm not aware of any statute, constitutional provision or oath that relates to politicians giving up their person rights so it's really irrelevant what job you may have.

Why would water protestors surround my car ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Heard Murphy on Newstalk this morning defending his behaviour.

I wonder will the crowd who blocked a pile of councillors from leaving in Fingal a few months back get charged?

Graham wrote: »
    The fact remains, in the face of increasing antagonism from a subset of the protesters in conjunction with a ragtag selection of local scumbags the situation didn't escalate and it appears that those that broke the law will be held accountable.

Yes they will if any wrong doing took place.

Stheno wrote: »
    Heard Murphy on Newstalk this morning defending his behaviour.

I wonder will the crowd who blocked a pile of councillors from leaving in Fingal a few months back get charged?

Doubt it they are to far down the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Why would water protestors surround my car ?

Why does their motive matter? I asked you a pretty simple question. Your refusal to answer it says it all. You know the behaviour was criminal and you are trying to excuse it by blaming the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Panzerkampfwagen forwaert. With a rig like mine, you don't even feel the thud or hear the crunching of malnourished lentil-fed hippy bones. :D

Why does their motive matter? I asked you a pretty simple question. Your refusal to answer it says it all. You know the behaviour was criminal and you are trying to excuse it by blaming the victim.

No, one is trying to draw a false comparison. People have the right to protest the government. Whether you or me like it or not. There would be no reason for water protestors to surround my car as I am not in Government.

We not bothering with Trials now ? People are fickle on boards calling for innocent to proven guilty until it's protestors. :pac::pac::pac:

In danger from who or what now ? These protestors did not act like the video I posted. That was to show what pretty normal protest in the EU look like. To show the ridiculous contrast of a bit of car shaking here.

stop going on about that stupid feckin video you posted. It has no bearing on this whatsoever.

No, one is trying to draw a false comparison. People have the right to protest the government. Whether you or me like it or not. There would be no reason for water protestors to surround my car as I am not in Government.

We not bothering with Trials now ? People are fickle on boards calling for innocent to proven guilty until it's protestors. :pac::pac::pac:

are you always this obtuse?

stop going on about that stupid feckin video you posted. It has no bearing on this whatsoever.

I'm no the one bringing it up to make an argument of me wanting blood on the streets. No one was in danger in this case, Water protestors would have no reason to stop my car.

No one is trying to draw a false comparison. People have the right to protest the government. Whether you or me like it or not. There would be no reason for water protestors to surround my car as I am not in Government.

There should be no need to surround anyones car as part of a legitimate protest.

are you always this obtuse?

Nah, I tend to debate the points brought up School yard name calling is not my thing. Any evidence this protest group where out for blood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There would be no reason for water protestors to surround my car as I am not in Government.
    Those idiots hardly know who is in government, or what they look like

My fears when crowd turned nasty over 'Big Phil' lookalike

Why can't you just answer the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The charges that people should be facing, if any, is disturbing the peace, not a false imprisonment charge.

• Advertisement

I'm no the one bringing it up to make an argument of me wanting blood on the streets. No one was in danger in this case, Water protestors would have no reason to stop my car.

you mentioned that stupid video in the post i quoted. this must be a windup.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The charges that people should be facing, if any, is disturbing the peace, not a false imprisonment charge.

do you know what false imprisonment is?

That would be absolutely correct if only they hadn't deliberately falsely imprisoned somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

do you know what false imprisonment is?

I know that it's a very serious charge that carries a possible life sentence.

Do you think that any of the protesters did anything remotely close to warranting a life sentence?

you mentioned that stupid video in the post i quoted. this must be a windup.

Who was in danger present the Evidence please.

Do you think that any of the protesters did anything remotely close to warranting a life sentence?

so you dont know then. I posted this already but i'll post it again

15.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of false imprisonment who intentionally or recklessly—

(a) takes or detains, or

(b) causes to be taken or detained, or

(c) otherwise restricts the personal liberty of,

another without that other's consent.

(2) For the purposes of this section, a person acts without the consent of another if the person obtains the other's consent by force or threat of force, or by deception causing the other to believe that he or she is under legal compulsion to consent.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

I think you're the only person to suggest a life sentence is being considered.

Who was in danger present the Evidence please.

go away. you're a broken record at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You can protest away to your heart's content, that is your right and my right and the right of every other oik on this fair isle. I'll bate anyone who says you can't. But you may NOT put your hands on another person. You may NOT put your hands on their property. You may NOT frighten them or restrict their movement in any way. That is the law. And rightly so.

• Advertisement

go away. you're a broken record at this stage.

So that's a no to Evidence then ?

Advertisement