Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

jimgoose wrote: »
    You can protest away to your heart's content, that is your right and my right and the right of every other oik on this fair isle. I'll bate anyone who says you can't. But you may NOT put your hands on another person. You may NOT put your hands on their property. You may NOT frighten them or restrict their movement in any way. That is the law. And rightly so.

I agree, Out of curiosity was that a tax payers car ? Or a personal one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know that it's a very serious charge that carries a possible life sentence.

Do you think that any of the protesters did anything remotely close to warranting a life sentence?
    Bizarre thinking.

Penalties flow from prosecution and conviction; prosecution and conviction are not dependent on penalties.

Prosecution (for false imprisonment) is a matter for the DPP.
    Sentencing is a matter for the Trial Judge, or the CCA.

In the circumstances of a guilty verdict, the Trial Judge or CCA on appeal will adjust the sentence having regard to all the circumstances of the case.

The maximum penalty is irrelevant to the question of whether or not a person is guilty of an offence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I agree, Out of curiosity was that a tax payers car ? Or a personal one ?

I don't think the law distinguishes between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I think the Garda should have moved them on if there was any breaches of the peace, And not be pawns in a photo op and political jockeying.

Oh yeah, so then the mongs could shout about 'police brutality' and put edited videos on Facebook to try to portray the gardaí as heavy handed? You're obviously fairly clued in on policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jimgoose wrote: »
    Panzerkampfwagen forwaert hear the crunching of malnourished lentil-fed hippy bones. :D

You don't know the good citizens of jobstown very well do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I'm curious. If you were driving out of a carpark and your car was surrounded by a large group of people who were banging on it, throwing stuff at it and threatening you, what would you do?

FFS Darkpagandeath, I've just read through pages of drivel looking for your answer to teh above to no avail.
    So, pretend this angry mob mistook you for Joan Burton while you were trying to leave somewhere and surrounded your car etc.etc.
    What would you do???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

The politicians who stand to gain from this are obviously Paul Murphy, AAA, Ruth Coppinger, Richard Boyd Barrett and Fianna Fail. The losers will be Fianna Gael, Labour and Sinn Fein. Which is why it is hard to believe that the DPP brought this charge in because of political influence. After the disaster of his support of Syriza, Paul Murphy is praying that a charge will be brought against him, second prize would be for charges to be brought against others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

yes well done. Two criminal cases involving farmers, neither anything to do with protests / blocking traffic etc.

What exactly do they have to do with this thread?

Well if I'd spent longer than 30 seconds looking I'd have found more.

Just to show that farmers etc do get done for false imprisonment etc

So Murphy will be in some agricultural company if he gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The fact that the impending prosecutions were leaked to the media really does indicate political influence to me.

The fact that the impending prosecutions were leaked to the media really does indicate political influence to me.

Or sensible PR by the Gardai to warn future protestors to stay within the law (as was pointed out about 4 pages back).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just imagine the outcry when/if these lads get jail.

Paul Murphy wont eat or sleep for days yet will still have lots of energy to yell into his microphone outside the GPO.

Graham wrote: »
    Or sensible PR by the Gardai to warn future protestors to stay within the law (as was pointed out about 4 pages back).

Ah yes, sensible PR. That's probably it.

Ah yes, sensible PR. That's probably it.

Its certainly a lot more credible than some of the cloak and dagger political interference suggestions.

just imagine the outcry when/if these lads get jail.

Paul Murphy wont eat or sleep for days yet will still have lots of energy to yell into his microphone outside the GPO.

I'm not sure he'd be permitted to take the megaphone into the prison van with him and I doubt he'll be dropped at the GPO. :pac:

fullstop wrote: »
    Oh yeah, so then the mongs could shout about 'police brutality' and put edited videos on Facebook to try to portray the gardaí as heavy handed? You're obviously fairly clued in on policing.

Well If we have an Expert please tell the rest of us what the Garda should have or should not have done in this case ?
    FFS Darkpagandeath, I've just read through pages of drivel looking for your answer to teh above to no avail.
    So, pretend this angry mob mistook you for Joan Burton while you were trying to leave somewhere and surrounded your car etc.etc.
    What would you do???

Why would I be mistaken for the Tánaiste Think we are reaching a bit now. What would you do ?

Its certainly a lot more credible than some of the cloak and dagger political interference suggestions.
    I disagree. Fine Gael have a track record of interfering with garda decisions.

Who has been convicted of crimes ?

Who has been convicted of crimes ?

I didn't suggest anyone had been convicted yet, where did you jump to that conclusion?

I didn't suggest anyone had been convicted yet, where did you jump to that conclusion?

Comment of staying within the law. Surely that is up to the courts to decide who has done that.

Comment of staying within the law. Surely that is up to the courts to decide who has done that.

Warning people to stay within the law doesn't require involvement from the Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Why would I be mistaken for the Tánaiste Think we are reaching a bit now. What would you do ?

So, you're not answering then. Are you Paul Murphy?? He doesn't answer questions either! It'll be interesting to see how the Court appearance progresses when he's asked...

So, you're not answering then. Are you Paul Murphy?? He doesn't answer questions either! It'll be interesting to see how the Court appearance progresses when he's asked...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/QM8zdrY8HHA/maxresdefault.jpg

No, Neither am I a supporter or a water protestor.

There would be absolute no reason for water protestors protesting the Tánaiste visit to that area to surround my car that was not there or mistake me for the Tánaiste.

Warning people to stay within the law doesn't require involvement from the Court.

The Garda have a history of randomly coming out and telling people to obey the law ? Via the Media ?

The Garda have a history of randomly coming out and telling people to obey the law ? Via the Media ?

Yup, drink driving and bank holidays immediately spring to mind. Are you going to find a way to suggest that's politically motivated too? Perhaps you could hint the Gardai only enforce the drink driving laws in SF strongholds.

Yup, drink driving and bank holidays immediately spring to mind. Are you going to find a way to suggest that's politically motivated too? Perhaps you could hint the Gardai only enforce the drink driving laws in SF strongholds.

That's not the same as the media finding out before the people charged and one knows it.

That's not the same as the media finding out before the people charged and one knows it.

Sorry if I'm confusing you, that was an answer to your question:

Sorry if I'm confusing you, that was an answer to your question:

Fine I will take the pedantic point and stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Newstalk reported this morning that the protesters won't be brought before the courts until after the General Election.

If that's true, then it's obvious that there are political motives behind these charges.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Newstalk reported this morning that the protesters won't be brought before the courts until after the General Election.

If that's true, then it's obvious that there are political motives behind these charges.

Did the DPP/Courts advise Newstalk that the protestors won't be bought before the courts until after a general election OR did Newstalk (or someone else) calculate that most Court cases take X weeks to come to Court which would fall after the General Election?

Just because it takes a while for cases to come before a Court it doesn't automatically transpire that there's political motives at play however much you'd like that to support your narrative.

No doubt you'd be shouting political conspiracy if the cases were hurried through the Courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

20Cent wrote: »
    A sinister development.
    If you can be arrested for delaying a politician then any protest could be illegal.

If that's why they are being charged I'd agree with you.....but it's not.

They are being charged with harassment, intimidation, imprisoning a woman in her car etc.

I'm all for the case being brought to court.....I know that people are angry but that is no excuse for acting like thugs and animals.

Protest all you like but peacefully. Violence solves nothing and if anything loses your cause support.

Advertisement