Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown water protesters to be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Muppet wrote: »
    Who appointed you the spokesperson for Law abiding citizens?

I'm a law abiding citizen as I imagine are many other contributors to this thread but I will be disgusted if anyone is charged with false imprisionment for peacefully protesting .

Thats my own opinion I know not everyone shares its.

i too would be disgusted if somebody is charged with false imprisonment if they were peacefully protesting. but that isnt what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

i too would be disgusted if somebody is charged with false imprisonment if they were peacefully protesting. but that isnt what is happening.

We don't really know that yet though do we?

We don't really know that yet though do we?

i think the video evidence is pretty convincing.

Of what? We dont know who is being charged with what do we or what evidence there is to support those charges ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Of what? We dont know who is being charged with what do we or what evidence there is to support those charges ?

True, innocent until proved guilty and all that.

It would be unwise to assume that someone is going to be found guilty just because the DPP considers there is enough evidence to secure a conviction.

Of course that doesn't prevent us from hoping people are held accountable for their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

We're still outraged by the whole thing. :mad:

It's just another example of corruption and the abuse of the peeeple.

evidence of false imprisonment.

Graham wrote: »
    True, innocent until proved guilty and all that.

It would be unwise to assume that someone is going to be found guilty just because the DPP considers there is enough evidence to secure a conviction.

Of course that doesn't prevent us from hoping people are held accountable for their actions.

I'd have no problem with anyone being held accountable for their actions once those actions are not being blown out of all proportions to be made out to be something they obviously were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

The Muppet wrote:
    Yeah it's possible that while Joan was smiling and waving to the crowd her armed Garda driver was shi**ing himself, after all he only had A gun, the other Garda present, the public order unit and a helicopter for backup if things turned nasty.

It's like the time last year when I was in Manchester airport when 8 armed police with uzis came into the cafe I was in and started queuing behind me. I felt pretty safe at that moment. Joan felt safe in jobstown, no doubt about it.

once those actions are not being blown out of all proportions to be made out to be something they obviously were not.

Luckily we have legal process/Courts to ensure that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Graham wrote:
    Luckily we have legal process/Courts to ensure that doesn't happen.

So let the courts decide instead of being judge, jury and executioner. Kangaroo court indeed!

falan wrote: »
    It's like the time last year when I was in Manchester airport when 8 armed police with uzis came into the cafe I was in and started queuing behind me. I felt pretty safe at that moment. Joan felt safe in jobstown, no doubt about it.

which is totally irrelevant to a charge of false imprisonment.

falan wrote: »
    So let the courts decide instead of being judge, jury and executioner. Kangaroo court indeed!

I must have missed when I did that.

I won't pretend I'm not please a Court will get to make that judgment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'd have no problem with anyone being held accountable for their actions once those actions are not being blown out of all proportions to be made out to be something they obviously were not.

If you were Joan in that car, would you have felt safe getting out and walking through the crowd?

If you were Joan in that car, would you have felt safe getting out and walking through the crowd?

I don't know .

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Hey if I don't feel safe during a St Patricks Day Parade, can I sue council?

I mean, such a large congregation of people... and they stop me from driving certain routes too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I mean, such a large congregation of people... and they stop me from driving certain routes too...

Shame that that's a sanctioned parade with pre-planned route closures so it isn't even close to the same thing.

The "it's just like a carnival' point was made several pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

whether she was going to the dail or not is irrelevant.

Sorry since we pay her wages, everything she does in the public spectrum is very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its no more convincing then the cat

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Sorry since we pay her wages, everything she does in the public spectrum is very relevant.

The law applies equally whatever the destination.

evidence of false imprisonment.
    i don't see any false imprisonment TBH. by all accounts she was able to leave the car but chose not to

its no more convincing then the cat

What did the cat do next?

I need to know :(

but rightly chose not to

That suggests you believe there was good reason to decide not to. Something like threats and intimidation perhaps?

Shame that that's a sanctioned parade with pre-planned route closures so it isn't even close to the same thing.
    i believe the protest was itself sanctioned, with road closures around the area.

Graham wrote: »
    That suggests you believe there was good reason to decide not to. Something like threats and intimidation perhaps?

no .

i believe the protest was itself sanctioned, with road closures around the area.

I can't find anything to say whether it was or wasn't :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

If another 10 people repeated another 10 times that false imprisonment has nothing to do with blocking roads per se, people would still conflate the two.

False imprisonment relates to the intentional or reckless detention of a person within a confined space. Traffic diversions and busy streets have nothing to do with it. If you detach yourself from your personal opinions on this, you'll see what a straightforward rule applies here.

it is not relevant to the criminal charges these thugs are facing. it doesnt matter where she was going, false imprisonment is false imprisonment.

• Advertisement

i don't see any false imprisonment TBH. by all accounts she was able to leave the car but chose not to

nay, nay and thrice nay.

Advertisement