Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats wrong with my carrots?

Options
  • 13-08-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

my first ever crop of carrots and thats what they turned into. taste is ok, but they're a bit too pale.
    what could have caused they to get that shape?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about carrots, but is your soil quite stoney by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

kylith wrote: »
    I'm not terribly knowledgeable about carrots, but is your soil quite stoney by any chance?
    nope, they're in raised bed filled with good quality soil

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

We grow carrots every year and save seed from them to replant.

You need to grow them in fine lose soil with lots of sand and fine material.

if you grow them in top soil. Stoney soil or non-filtered compost you will get what you have in your picture.

How much sand did add?
    Have you a picture of you carrot soil?

We use a mix of fine homemade compost that is filtered and sand in a raised bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One reason could be fresh manure which can cause forking, another could be insufficient thinning (some of the carrots appear to be twining round each other, but it is a bit difficult to tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I started growing carrots last year for 1st time when I put in some polytunnels.
    I sowed the carrot seeds into plugs and transplanted them into raised beds in the tunnel when their root system was well developed
    My carrots ended up like the picture above.
    This year I removed nearly all stones big and small in the raised beds this year and germinated the seeds the same way as last and they still ended up that way.
    However I also sowed some seeds direct into an outdoor vegetable plot this year and these ones came out straight as a die.
    An older than me chap, told me earlier this year that carrots don't transplant well and are better off sowed direct into soil.
    Proved him right this year wonder if it was a fluke or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like forking to me. I got it with carrots before when there was too much manure in the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Unless you are very carefully growing show carrots, yes sowing directly into the ground is the best way

Advertisement