Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country fixtures 2015/2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sacksian wrote: »
    @raycun - do you know if the proposed National Cross Country Club League kicks in for 2016 competitions? Short course, Masters and Inters all coming up soon.

haven't heard anything either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Can't believe I got talked into it, doing the national masters xc, assume it's 6k, can't seem to find the distance anywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

7km Masters men. 4km if you are O65

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Anyone else running Leinster senior on Sunday? On in Kilmacow in Kilkenny, good course, mainly flat with one excellent little stinger of a ramp from one level to the next.

Any results from Leinsters??

Masters and Inters on Sunday
    Big fields in Vets . V small Inter women
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/glohealth-masters-start-lists-and-event-information
    No event info on it
    I cannot believe that AAI did not do one piece of promotion for this event in advance.
    Aagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Leinster Senior:

http://www.athleticsleinster.org/images/results/Sen%20Men%20Day%201%20Kilmacow%20170116.pdf

It's always a small field, but looks like a very impressive time, based on other results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

The men's inters looks like a great field, should be a good race and you get the feeling numbers might be up again this year. Based on that entry list, the standard at the front of the men's masters will be ridiculously high.

Also, looking at the fixtures list and where they might fit that 4k short course xc in, I wonder if holding it on the same day as the Universities XC and the All-Ireland Schools' Championship would work?

Might be a nice way of reaching and promoting the sport to some good younger athletes who might not yet be in the club system. I'm sure there'll be crossover between the University/4k, but probably the easiest thing to do from a scheduling point of view.

Good luck to anyone racing at the weekend!

Sacksian wrote: »
    The men's inters looks like a great field, should be a good race and you get the feeling numbers might be up again this year. Based on that entry list, the standard at the front of the men's masters will be ridiculously high.

Also, looking at the fixtures list and where they might fit that 4k short course xc in, I wonder if holding it on the same day as the Universities XC and the All-Ireland Schools' Championship would work?

Might be a nice way of reaching and promoting the sport to some good younger athletes who might not yet be in the club system. I'm sure there'll be crossover between the University/4k, but probably the easiest thing to do from a scheduling point of view.

Good luck to anyone racing at the weekend!

Big fields alright but you will lose 30-40% of the names on that before race day, cross country is always like that. Master men should still have 200+ in it.
    Re the Short course i reckon Uni field and Short course runners are the same market ie young fast lads.
    It may not happen this year

AAI are absolutely useless promoting XC. Ok a bit up now re preview but no emails to clubs /counties in advance, no promo/flyers , and every bloody road race or indoor event gets plugged . got one yesterday about a couple of road races and no mention of intercounties for eg.

They should get glohealth to back something similar to british cross challenge and stick up a prizefund as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Rás na hEireann open cross country races for juveniles and seniors is on the 7th February, at Oldbridge House just outside Drogheda. Full programme of junior and senior races.

Full info in this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057552541

We would love to get some more senior runners down to this, it's only 40 mins from Dublin down to M1.

Last National of the season on 14 Feb in Tuam , Galway , the Intercounties http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/get-in-tuam-for-the-glohealth-inter-counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Just copped this is on this weekend. I can't see this fixture lasting, it meant something when it acted as a euro qualifier but now its a nothing race. People aren't arsed running for their county. Senior Inter county competition should be ran off as part of senior inter clubs.

happygoose wrote: »
    Just copped this is on this weekend. I can't see this fixture lasting, it meant something when it acted as a euro qualifier but now its a nothing race. People aren't arsed running for their county. Senior Inter county competition should be ran off as part of senior inter clubs.

Was a worlds qualifier when interclubs. Ireland has given up competing at this level it seems
    Numbers likely to be very low, if there is 50 in any race it would be a surprise.
    I think its a great pity XC is being squeezed out post xmas into a very short 2 month pre xmas box The lack of PR by AI and the total focus on promoting Indoors doesnt help .
    Think the Intermediate and Intercounty should be merged into a post Xmas decent senior race and use as a World trial every 2nd year.
    Not sure if many support XC anymore outside the vets who make up most of the senior and inter fields anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How would you combine Intermediates and Intercounties? Wouldn't many of the best county runners be ruled out of an intermediate race?

RayCun wrote: »
    How would you combine Intermediates and Intercounties? Wouldn't many of the best county runners be ruled out of an intermediate race?

Keep a separate category in the race for Intermediates. Designate them in advance at entry stage. let seniors run.
    Just an idea to try and keep the season alive post xmas

Either way the post xmas aspect needs to be sorted as its not working. Short course never happened. Low numbers in Inters. Intercounties will have record low numbers I expect .These will be down to one fixture next year post Xmas max.
    The cross country forum needs to bring in the athletes and RDO's if the season is to be properly structured and supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Entries_Inter_Counties_2016.pdf

An Inter County competition and only 3 counties declared in both the men's and the women's senior races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

happygoose wrote: »
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Entries_Inter_Counties_2016.pdf

An Inter County competition and only 3 counties declared in both the men's and the women's senior races.

Christ, that is a bad turnout but hardly surprising. An almost meaningless competition at a time when most people are transitioning to Marathon/Road Racing/Track.

Christ, that is a bad turnout but hardly surprising. An almost meaningless competition at a time when most people are transitioning to Marathon/Road Racing/Track.

Coming from the host county this is disappointing yet there will be a good show put on in Tuam.
    You could say the same about AAI Games, National Indoor league etc yet these are pushed. No promotion of this event ..

Isnt cross country perfect marathon training or ten k + ? !

I cant understand why counties dont bother to turn up and why XC is so weak at senior level in Ireland.? Most of those running are Vets. Why wouldnt decent club runners want to run at national level for their county ? Especially in counties outside Dublin where there is a chance of National senior medals?? I certainly would if I were in that position. Rather than middling road races that are ten a penny .

UK calendar goes right through Oct- March with big numbers and a well organised XC challenge. What is wrong here- are runners avoiding the top level races?

Use it as a World XC trial and send teams to the biggest Euro meet in alternate years and stick in a prize fund .I reckon there is a lot more value in XC than any other aspect of distance running including strenght/stamina development, team spirit, competitiveness etc but I seem to be in a minority these days

HArd to see this or Inters continuing as is but I think its worth saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Canicross Ireland event in Lough Boora.

Canine cross country. Run, jog, walk with your dog.

Advertisement