Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants house vacated for painting

Options
  • 13-08-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate some advice on a discussion I had with my landlord recently.

Four of us are living in a house, all well into our second Part 4 tenancy. The landlord's been talking for a little while about getting someone in to paint the place, and I met the contractor and the landlord's sister the other day so they could have a look around the house (the sister is a sometimes unofficial quasi-agent for the landlord when she's not available, but all our dealings are with the landlord).

So the the three of us went around the house, and I pointed out minor repairs that we'd be waiting on the landlord to fix, and all seemed pretty ok. Right up to when the the sister mentioned that the four of us would probably have to vacate the house, possessions and all, to allow the painting to be done. When I asked where we would go, the sister's response was that she didn't know as none of their other properties were vacant.

We haven't spoken to the landlord since, so it's possible she'll have a different point of view from her sister. However, I want to be prepared before I speak to her.

So firstly, can the landlord have us vacate the property for the purposes of repainting? If it makes any difference, repainting is not something we've asked the landlord to do. It was done about 2 years ago, and it's not on the list of repairs I mentioned earlier. It's entirely the landlord's idea. Also, the contractor is estimating at least a week to paint the house, so that's the minimum we're looking at. None of the repairs needed would require any vacation of the house.

Secondly, if we did vacate the premises, who is responsible for the cost of the temporary accommodation as well as the removal, storage and return of our possessions? If we're looking after it ourselves, are we entitled to deduct any or all of it from rent?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

What does your lease contract says about that?
    If it is not mentioned, is up to both sides to decide. I myself, would not pay for accommodation and packaging. She should pay that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

There's no formal lease. It's a periodic tenancy, there's nothing in writing regarding this kind of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I had my entire house painted last year and my family had no need to move out during this week. Any painter I`ve had in has had no need to remove any of the furniture in my property, not even to another room...

I have a feeling that your landlord may be up to something, perhaps wishing to have you vacate the premises with the view to having new tenants move in.... but that is pure speculation, you definitely need to raise this with the landlord.
    Perhaps you could talk to the painter about a plan so that you can stay in the house while work is conducted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I had my entire house painted last year and my family had no need to move out during this week. Any painter I`ve had in has had no need to remove any of the furniture in my property, not even to another room...

I have a feeling that your landlord may be up to something, perhaps wishing to have you vacate the premises with the view to having new tenants move in.... but that is pure speculation, you definitely need to raise this with the landlord.
    Perhaps you could talk to the painter about a plan so that you can stay in the house while work is conducted?

This was my first thought also when I read your post - again like above poster I am speculating , I don't see any need for you to move out while house is been painted, sure you may not be able to sleep in your room the night after its been painted due to paint fumes ect but other than that I don't any reason why you should be gone for a week & with all your belongings aswell? Sorry OP but just seems bit odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Exactly, it`s one thing having to vacate because of possible fumes and/or that it may be faster to complete the job when no one is living there, but there is NO need to remove furniture/possessions, that is what dust sheets are for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

During a part 4 tenancy, you can be asked to end the tenancy if:

The landlord wants to move back in.
    The landlord's relatives want to move in.
    The landlord is selling.
    The landlord is doing major refurb work.

Painting isn't major refurbishment.

Unless he's putting you up in similar accommodation, or paying for you to be put up elsewhere, I'd dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A good friend of mine owns two adjoining properties which he lets out.
    Every summer, by arrangement with the tenants, he goes in to carry out the usual wear and tear, spring clean, paint touch-up, boiler service etc etc.
    At least every second year, he gives the houses a full paint job, top to bottom.
    Whilst he always tries to arrange it when they are away on holidays to avoid disruption to them, he has Never asked them to Move Out with their possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As someone who has painted a rented apartment two years ago, and years of painting with my father at home, there is little to no need to move you and everything out of the house while this work is being done.

As someone else mentioned, might be a ploy to get in new tenants, which will be easier since you and all your stuff will be out entirely. Wouldn't be surprised if you went back to different locks on the door. Query what work is being done that requires you to move out, and outline you will require the landlord to cover the costs involved in moving your possessions and also accommodation for the period of work.

Work like that should be done when a tenant has left, in between a period of getting in new tenants. Typical landlords wanting to ensure they don't skip a week of money. My current landlord had the place repainted top to bottom, and he did it after the previous tenants had moved out, and before we moved in, over a period of two weeks fixing up and getting things in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Thanks for the replies everyone. While I get the feeling the landlord has got something else in mind, I'm not concerned about finding ourselves homeless after we've vacated. Whatever I might say about her, I know she's not the type to do that :).

Also glad to see I'm not the only one who thought getting people and possessions out out lock, stock and barrel isn't the norm. The last repaint a few years ago, while only confined to the common areas, didn't require anything like this.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I wonder if the landlord is getting the house ready to sell? From what I have read on Boards, lenders are insisting on vacant possession to complete sales. She could be hoping that painting the place could help get a quick sale and getting you to move out now rather than serving notice when the house goes on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Humour Me wrote: »
    I wonder if the landlord is getting the house ready to sell? From what I have read on Boards, lenders are insisting on vacant possession to complete sales. She could be hoping that painting the place could help get a quick sale and getting you to move out now rather than serving notice when the house goes on the market.

They can get vacant possession if they are selling.

It is easier to paint when nobody is there and the sister may be fussy and wonder why anybody would stay in a house while it is being painted. I can't stay in a house that is being painted with out being sick so couldn't stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ray Palmer wrote:
    It is easier to paint when nobody is there and the sister may be fussy and wonder why anybody would stay in a house while it is being painted. I can't stay in a house that is being painted with out being sick so couldn't stay.

That's fair enough but your in the minority. Paint smells don't effect most people in the slightest. Wall paint doesn't have these toxic 'fumes' which some people think they have. And either way it should be up to the tenants to decide whether they are effected by the smell of paint.

I worked as a house painter and while it's easier and faster to paint an empty house, there's no need to vacate. It's a strange request and I'd be suspicious. Maybe they are paying the painter by the day so they want it done quickly?

I'd price up a removal van, storage facility and a hotel for the time they want you to vacate and show them the quote. Money up front before you even agree to vacate.

Smells fishy to me.

Advertisement