Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant - Mature Student

Options
  • 13-08-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

My partner is about to go into his second year of college as a mature student. When applying for the SUSI grant for his first year he was assessed as a dependant student as he lived with his parents in the October previous to starting the course. He moved into his own place in the January before starting the course but SUSI would not assess him as an independent student because of the previous October.

Again this year when applying for the grant he was told that he would still have to apply as a dependant student which is ridiculous. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with SUSI and if they succeeded in getting anywhere with them as we are having awful trouble trying to get the grant approved? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

To be honest it's hard enough to get anywhere with sorting out Documentation, never mind trying to get it awarded if ya havn't actually explicitly lived independently according to the correct years they are assessing! So I would say it's highly doubtful but that's just my opinion! I hope I'm wrong! Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

To be honest it's hard enough to get anywhere with sorting out Documentation, never mind trying to get it awarded if ya havn't actually explicitly lived independently according to the correct years they are assessing! So I would say it's highly doubtful but that's just my opinion! I hope I'm wrong! Best of luck! :)

ya.

also, when applying for the grant they make it explicityly clear what the criteria is to be treated as dependent or independent... so either he qualifies to be treated as independent or he doesn't ? ... if, given the published criteria, he should be treated as independent...but they're treating him as dependent... then of course you have a case. but if he doesn't meet the criteria, well, they obviously won't budge.

I dunno, seems straight forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

..which isn't to say it's fair or anything. just, straight forward...

Advertisement