Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Society Ideas - Gender Equality or Global Development

Options
  • 13-08-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey guys I've been thinking about which societies I might join this September. As far as I know UCD doesn't have any societies specifically for either gender equality or global development.

I'd love to hear any feedback about these ideas and most importantly would any of you be interested in joining?

My vision for either society would involve debates, talks with guest speakers, film screenings etc.

The inspiration for the gender equality society comes from an initiative by male business students in UPenn that focuses on the issue of the pay gap.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/08/10/a-gender-equality-club-run-by-men/
    Of course we could go for something broader in UCD to look at issues like political representation and women in STEM careers.

When it comes to development issues Amnesty deals with human rights and UCDVO and World Aid raise money but I'd love to see a society that encourages discussion and action across a range of issues like economic inequality, sustainability, migration etc. Trinity and UCC both have fairly active dvelopment societies so why can't we?

https://www.facebook.com/trinityglobaldevelopmentsoc?fref=ts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 radepoju

I think the gender equality one is a great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Hey guys I've been thinking about which societies I might join this September. As far as I know UCD doesn't have any societies specifically for either gender equality or global development.

I'd love to hear any feedback about these ideas and most importantly would any of you be interested in joining?

My vision for either society would involve debates, talks with guest speakers, film screenings etc.

The inspiration for the gender equality society comes from an initiative by male business students in UPenn that focuses on the issue of the pay gap.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/08/10/a-gender-equality-club-run-by-men/
    Of course we could go for something broader in UCD to look at issues like political representation and women in STEM careers.

When it comes to development issues Amnesty deals with human rights and UCDVO and World Aid raise money but I'd love to see a society that encourages discussion and action across a range of issues like economic inequality, sustainability, migration etc. Trinity and UCC both have fairly active dvelopment societies so why can't we?

https://www.facebook.com/trinityglobaldevelopmentsoc?fref=ts

You might struggle to get relavent speakers for a gender equality society, as it's quite niche. I'm sure quite a lot of "personalities" might be interested in giving their experience of gender inequality - Miriam O'C springs to mind - but I would find a succession of those type of guests tedious.

Trinity's global development society was new last year, and was pretty crap. Every one of their events was co-hosted with another society, most often Amnesty International. I agree that a society that engaged with more substantive and varied issues around global development would be brilliant.

Don't know how it is in UCD, but starting a society in Trinity is apparently arduous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Sounds like you want a society that just wants to discuss the furthering of women's rights, no need to pretend it's gender equality.

Sounds like you want a society that just wants to discuss the furthering of women's rights, no need to pretend it's gender equality.

Aren't those equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

qweerty wrote: »
    Aren't those equivalent?

No, I don't believe only focusing on one gender's rights will lead to equality.

• Advertisement

No, I don't believe only focusing on one gender's rights will lead to equality.

You deduced from what the OP cited as inspiration - the UPenn society set up by men aiming to reduce economic inequality between genders - that it would be a society "that just wants to discuss the furthering of women's rights" rather than promoting gender equality. Non-binary genders are obviously the ones whose rights are most lacking; LGBTQ* Soc advocates on their behalf. While women are largely no longer discriminated by law, they remain patently underepresented in government, business, etc. So furthering women's rights could hardly be said to be selfish or unwarranted. As for your more nuanced second post, how do you think equality should be brought about other than by largely focusing on the disadvantaged group?

Anyway, let's not continue this here (or anywhere).

Advertisement