Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor and valuer

Options
  • 13-08-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and the bank told me i need to have a solicitor and valuer written on the form to proceed with the application.

Do i need to contact a solicitor before i put there name down as i have never used one before?

Likewise with getting a valuation

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and the bank told me i need to have a solicitor and valuer written on the form to proceed with the application.

Do i need to contact a solicitor before i put there name down as i have never used one before?

Likewise with getting a valuation

Cheers

Yes and yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

It seems unlikely that they would not let you submit the forms and then get these things organised.

The bank usually have an approved list of valuers so you cant just use any valuer or they may reject it and you will have wasted your money. Ask the bank fort heir approved list or ask them to arrang eit for you (you will obviously have to foot the bill)

Yes you need to contact the solicitor before putting them on the form or they will be getting documents regarding your mortgage and have no idea who you are. Make afew phonecalls and hire someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jeff Le bowski

meme74 wrote: »
    It seems unlikely that they would not let you submit the forms and then get these things organised.

The bank usually have an approved list of valuers so you cant just use any valuer or they may reject it and you will have wasted your money. Ask the bank fort heir approved list or ask them to arrang eit for you (you will obviously have to foot the bill)

Yes you need to contact the solicitor before putting them on the form or they will be getting documents regarding your mortgage and have no idea who you are. Make afew phonecalls and hire someone.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I just put down the name of the solicitor i thought I would use but then at approval stage I shopped around and let the bank know the name of the new solicitor I was going to be using. The banks usually arrange the valuer themselves as you could just get someone you know to value the house at the price you want to buy it at. We are in the middle of buying a house and the bank arranged the valuer themselves and we just had to pay him when the job was done

Advertisement