Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Until Dawn PS4 Sony

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I just put the controller down on the sofa for those bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I played this over Easter having picked it up in the Easter Sale. Got almost all the way to the end without killing anyone then got Josh killed about 15 minutes before the end and Mike killed right at the end. I'll definitely play it again to see how differently the story can go.

I enjoyed it anyway. I'm a massive wimp when it comes to horror so playing this late at night with headphones on and the curtains shut took a couple of years off of me. I must admit that I preferred the first two acts of the game to the last act. Once
    'the psyscho' is unmasked and the focus switches to the Wendigos it lost me a bit - to me humans with a screw loose are far scarier than bland grey monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I assume you got Mike killed by
    running out of the house and hitting the light switch? I did that, and was well peeved, I thought he had enough cop-on to actually run with me!

Yeah that was it. I don't think the game really explained the choice in that scene very well - at least I didn't assume that would be the consequence of the action. I also don't think that Sam
    who I was controlling at that point, would have flicked the switch in that moment - killing her friend - no matter the circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I agree, it just didn't seem right. Now that's not to say there wasn't one of those totems warning you about it - given it is so strange, I would be surprised if not, but it was one i didn't find - and I found most of them.

• Advertisement

I think the concept of that scene works really well it is just the execution that they messed up
    if it challenges you to make the decision of saving one character at the potential cost of killing both off then that's a great dilemma for the gamer. The closest thing I think of to it is back in Metal Gear Solid where you need to try to save Meryll by not succumbing to the torture.

Just in this instance it wasn't that difficult to pass the 'staying still' challenges so there's no reason why you'd knowingly sacrifice one character to save another as you can fairly easily get both out.

If it makes it clear that that is the choice the game is giving you then I think it massively elevates the ending of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gave this a whirl as it's on PS+ this month, still on the first chapter but I'm really liking it. Feels like a throw back to old school horror.

About the tutorial:
    Do the twins always die? I let go of the ledge dropping us both, nasty death but looks like I could have grabbed your mans hand and saving of them.

I already can't wait for Mike to die. Also John Abruzzi and Mr. Robot FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gave this a whirl as it's on PS+ this month, still on the first chapter but I'm really liking it. Feels like a throw back to old school horror.

About the tutorial:
    Do the twins always die? I let go of the ledge dropping us both, nasty death but looks like I could have grabbed your mans hand and saving of them.

I already can't wait for Mike to die. Also John Abruzzi and Mr. Robot FTW!
    Twins always die, she reaches up and the branch she's holding onto snaps before she can grab the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this is a lot of fun. everyone is dying on me. protip, if you're ever in an isolated log cabin do the opposite of what gimli seyz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    this is a lot of fun. everyone is dying on me. protip, if you're ever in an isolated log cabin do the opposite of what gimli seyz

so i don't actually have to bend over? :confused: Im confused right now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Looking forward to finishing work tonight to play this now, must use the PS camera to catch my reaction.

I didn't find it too scary, so far, albeit was quite hammered playing it. Outlast scared the bejesus out of me (to the extent I had to put the disk away and now I kinda can't find it) this was nothing like that but I found the story pretty good. Think I'm on Chapter 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Finished this the other night. Great game. One of the best looking I think I've ever played.

Ended up with only 3 survivors though and still missing a load of totems. Can you pick up missing ones by replaying chapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Just finished this today. Really enjoyed it after not being able to get into it at the start. Ended up with four survivors, the one I wanted to die hung in there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Finished it myself today. Thought it was ok and found there was too many cheap jump scares for the first quarter of it. Ended up with 4 survivors. Telltale could learn a lot from it.

Really enjoying this, found it a bit slow at the start switching between different games but by the end of chapter 4, I'm all in now. Chapter 5 was brilliant, just on 6 now and totally gripped.

Started it myself last night wasn't what I was expecting as I hadn't really looked into it before having only had a ps4 a few months but really nice change of pace for me. Comes across as a way more interactive version of a telltale game with far more consequences to your choices and actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Hmmm. I'd heard great things about this. Bought it. Struggled to get into it and traded it but I don't think I even got through the first chaoter/act/level. Thought it would be right up my street as horror fiction is and has been my favourite genre in almost all mediums: films, books, games. Particularly horror from the 80's as grew up on it. Seemed to be nothing but QTE's and I got bored. Everyone I know who played it said it was brilliant so maybe I should have stuck it out longer.

Just finished chapter 7, game is brilliant! I thought
    Josh was the killer alright but trying to figure out how until he explained it. It was on the back of my mind until I saw the pig that had been gutted, was sure it was him then due to some trickery.

Still there's
    something screaming in the mines and flamethrower guy to deal with.

Agreed with above, Telltale could learn a lot from this the way decisions are handled. Just saw Supermassive devs have a game coming out this year called Hidden Agenda. Looks like Until Dawn but you control a homicide detective tackling crime. Sounds class.

You have to go deep into this before you see a trophy :(

Still nothing yet for me.

• Advertisement

You have to go deep into this before you see a trophy :(

Still nothing yet for me.

I have 2 so far up to chapter 8 :( 2nd play through with Guide would be needed id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Agreed with above, Telltale could learn a lot from this the way decisions are handled. Just saw Supermassive devs have a game coming out this year called Hidden Agenda. Looks like Until Dawn but you control a homicide detective tackling crime. Sounds class.
    This will be something else, ever since Until Dawn I've been itching for a similar experience, enjoyed it so much.
    Can't wait for UD's PSVR prequel that was announced at E3 also.

Well that was ****ing brilliant!!

I ended with 4 survivors - Sam, Mike, Emily and surprisingly Jessica.
    Chris died because of a mess up on the final part of an aiming bit. Ash obviously made a bad choice withbthe trapdoor that I wouldn't make the next time. Matt tried to be too much of a hero, wouldn't jump off and tried to save Em, I think. Josh... I dunno how I could have stopped that.

Missed 6 totems and about 4 clues from each mystery. One of the butterflies remained greyed out so looks like I missed a choice. Looking it up, seems that you get a while section just for getting Sam out of the house, which I failed to do.

Gonna look up story and theory on this, fascinating back story. I set free about 6 spirits but not sure of that actually meant anything.

Sickened I got the wolf killed, I never locked the door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Fecks sake Zero-Cool, you're making me want to revisit this! :P

Home stretch now on chapter 10 loving this.
    Hannah ate Beth, though understandable
    :eek:

On the edge of my seat here as I've a few people I'm worried about who
    aren't dead yet
    and given the content of the totems I've reason to be :(

Theres a few layers to this in terms of the story , which plays out really well.

EDIT: Was this originally intended to be episodic or is it just a device they use to switch between the different characters?

Ok I got everyone out but I'm none the wiser as to
    Josh's fate
    did
    Mike kill him
    ???

EDIT: Wait post credits :!!!!

After the recent activity in this thread I went back and started the game again last night. Gutted there isn't a 'New Game Plus' option so have to hunt for collectables again but I'm enjoying the game again as much as you can playing a suspense game in which you know all the twists.

The jumps are freaking me out again though. :(

Beefy78 wrote: »
    After the recent activity in this thread I went back and started the game again last night. Gutted there isn't a 'New Game Plus' option so have to hunt for collectables again but I'm enjoying the game again as much as you can playing a suspense game in which you know all the twists.

The jumps are freaking me out again though. :(

If it had NG+, I would have instantly replayed the game to find the missed clies/totems, etc. Pity it didn't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 houlihand

Was nicely surprised with this! thought it would be just a clichéd mess but parts were genuinely creepy and fantastic voice acting

• Advertisement

never been so invested in a qte event as I was with M trying to get out of the mine. then I got a prompt not to move, never been so still in my life, not even breathing. running again, more qte.
    a bird flew into the window in real life
    I was shocked
    m died
    restart, from the fuccing beginning
    hope the bird is dead

Advertisement