Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer as a programmer?

Options
  • 13-08-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm looking to put something on my CV, anyone need a programmer that has experience in Java, C++ and some experience in HTML, CSS , PHP and MySQL?

I've used unity before with C# and I've some experience in UDK.

Does anyone have any sites that have lists of new projects that need a free programmer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Well, I can't say I'm looking for a programmer, so I hope you find something in that regard.

If it's just to boost up your CV, I understand how working on something that's actually live and in use can be of benefit, but at the same time, I'd throw up a portfolio site and just making a few things and detail how you created them in a little case study. Also, as I've recently been doing, throw the things you work on up onto GitHub. I've looked at a few little PHP/Ajax scripts and things I've made for learning purposes recently and then edited them to make them usable elsewhere for someone who may be looking for them and added them to GitHub. This way potential employers can get a good look at your code (and to an extent how, how you work), and can see that you're motivated to creating usable scripts and applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ancel

Banta wrote: »
    Well, I can't say I'm looking for a programmer, so I hope you find something in that regard.

If it's just to boost up your CV, I understand how working on something that's actually live and in use can be of benefit, but at the same time, I'd throw up a portfolio site and just making a few things and detail how you created them in a little case study. Also, as I've recently been doing, throw the things you work on up onto GitHub. I've looked at a few little PHP/Ajax scripts and things I've made for learning purposes recently and then edited them to make them usable elsewhere for someone who may be looking for them and added them to GitHub. This way potential employers can get a good look at your code (and to an extent how, how you work), and can see that you're motivated to creating usable scripts and applications.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start an account there and start a project so potential employers can see how i program. I've old but useful projects i can put up as well.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Gtihub is chock full of open source projects that would be only too willing to have people work away on them and better yet, you don't even need to be invited to work on them (for the most part). Simply do a bit of hunting a find a project you like, look at the open issues they have then fork a copy of their project to your own account, hack away on it to resolve the issue then once you have it working create a pull request to have the project maintainer merge in your changes.

Now, obviously there's a bit more to it than just that, projects will have some criteria like coding standards etc, so make sure that you check the readme.md and (if it exists) the contributing.md docs. Depending on the size/scope of the project there may well be an IRC or slack channel for it as well.

Working on open source projects is probably one of the best things you can do for your CV, just make sure that you link to your Github account on your CV and if you make any substantial contributions to a project maybe highlight that as well.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Why not develop a Unity game for Android and make some money on the side?

Loads of people do this. I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but I know for a fact that you can port Unity over to Android.

You might have to spend a little more time than you'd like on marketing (Generate some interest on Reddit, videogame websites dedicated to your chosen genre, etc), but you'll end up with something that's making you money, showing potential employers that you can go through the process of creating a product from start to finish, and will give you a nice platform that people can download your game from (For free too, if you go with the advertising route).

You could also set up a web service for your game with your PHP skills.

Or you could just make a regular Android app if you were up for some studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

If you are looking to volunteer, If you have a local coder dojo you could assist them. They usually need people with Html and CSS, and other languages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement