Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacherslookup.com & Data Protection legislation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

They don't AUTOMATICALLY come up for you!
    Other people are not you!
    No...the point is if they don't automatically come up for one person and they do for another, they don't ALWAYS automatically come up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

They automatically come up as the first Google result for every teacher listed on the website. Look at the site, take any name you like off it and google it - techerslookup is the first result every time.

I don't like the idea of the website but this isn't true. I googled my name and teacher look up and it's there. If I Google just my name I can't find it anywhere on the first ten pages of results.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of the website but this isn't true. I googled my name and teacher look up and it's there. If I Google just my name I can't find it anywhere on the first ten pages of results.

Try putting your name in quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Graham wrote: »

Only eight pages this time and still not there. So it's not the case that it'll always come up, let alone be the first result.

I know the info was on the TC website for so long, and I've no problem with that, I just don't see why a third party would be able to take and use it.

I put my name in quotes and those of eight others. Nothing.

• Advertisement

You may have inferred that, I didn't.

Let me try and explain it a different way for you.

Imagine 100 families live on the same street as you. Ninety houses are burgled by the same criminal, yours isn't. Does that mean it shouldn't matter to the other 90 households?

Accuracy matters. It is either something that happens when you perform a certain action or something that might happen when you perform a certain action.

The question of legality is a different matter, as is the fact that the information can be easily obtained anyway with two clicks of a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mod: Ok back on topic.. explaining is loosing.

ANy squabbles and ye can take it to PM...

and no back seat modding or suggesting to put other posters on ignore,

Only a few more days back to school then we'll be all settled down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've tried that. I've also tried it with my name and my school, and my name and the word teacher, and a combination of all three and got nothing back. I did get all of the random websites that I am on, including a photo of me in google images from my twitter account and links to the artist and olympian who share my name.

I've tried that. I've also tried it with my name and my school, and my name and the word teacher, and a combination of all three and got nothing back. I did get all of the random websites that I am on, including a photo of me in google images from my twitter account and links to the artist and olympian who share my name.

That's good news, I suspect (hope) the TCI spotted the leak before every record had been scraped and took appropriate countermeasures.

For anyone that wants to double check to see if Google even has your information from Teachers LU here's the search query to use (it's an image as I don't want to encourage Google additional links to Teachers LU).

It probably goes without saying, replace the made up name Graham Smithers with your own name.

358600.png

That's good news, I suspect (hope) the TCI spotted the leak before every record had been scraped and took appropriate countermeasures.

For anyone that wants to double check to see if Google even has your information from Teachers LU here's the search query to use (it's an image as I don't want to encourage Google additional links to Teachers LU).

It probably goes without saying, replace the made up name Graham Smithers with your own name.

358600.png

I think it's safe enough to say that if the link doesn't come up on a simple Google search, they don't have your data.

Now, can we move on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Moody_mona wrote: »

I have tried over 30 entries that are on the site and it's the first Google result each time. Tried a dozen more just there and it's the same. I'm glad it's not happening with your name if you are on the site. I'm also glad they haven't got my details yet - they only have a couple of hundred names at the moment.

I have tried over 30 entries that are on the site and it's the first Google result each time. Tried a dozen more just there and it's the same. I'm glad it's not happening with your name if you are on the site. I'm also glad they haven't got my details yet - they only have a couple of hundred names at the moment.

I've tried nine, and not a sausage. Strange

katydid wrote: »
    I've tried nine, and not a sausage. Strange

And all nine of those names are definitely listed on teacherslookup.com? Yes, that is very strange. That's lucky for those teachers.

Would it be true to say that the more people start searching with/for this website the more likely the google machine is to push it up the results ladder!

Don't click on the links when the results come back on Google
    Don't link directly to the TLU site from anywhere else.

Searches where none of the results are clicked are more likely to push the results down than up.

And all nine of those names are definitely listed on teacherslookup.com? Yes, that is very strange. That's lucky for those teachers.

Those nine names did not come up linked to that website when I typed them into Google, using quotes. I have no idea whether or not they are listed on the website, as I haven't visited it and have no intention of. They are listed on the TC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

I googled my name and this site was the first result, not happy at all! I know the information is available on the TC website - but people have to specifically search the register there so it is at least a little bit more protected..
    Is there anything the TC can do about it?

Alqua wrote: »
    Is there anything the TC can do about it?

TC may be able to claim the directory is copyright information and issue a DMCA takedown request to the company hosting the infringing content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It only occurred to me while going through my email a while ago when I saw an email from the Teaching Council of Ireland that it has frequently sent me information about TC-related issues via email - e.g. Féilte things.

Yet the notice on its website which concedes this data breach is from 15 July 2015 - but it was not brought to our attention via email. The first I discovered about the TC's admission was via a post in this thread two days ago.

Was anybody here emailed about this around 15 July, or indeed at any time?

gaiscioch wrote: »
    It only occurred to me while going through my email a while ago when I saw an email from the Teaching Council of Ireland that it has frequently sent me information about TC-related issues via email - e.g. Féilte things.

Yet the notice on its website which concedes this data breach is from 15 July 2015 - but it was not brought to our attention via email. The first I discovered about the TC's admission was via a post in this thread two days ago.

I just delete stuff from the TC without reading it. They take my money from me, our "relationship" ends there. I've no intention of giving them any of my valuable time as well to help them in the work I pay them to do! :-)

• Advertisement

Nobody I know received any email about it. I thought maybe those directly affected were contacted, but obviously not. I think it's very poor form tbh. The notice on their website is also inadequate - vaguely titled "notice for registered teachers". I only heard about it from someone with some "inside" knowledge. Given they have time to tweet regularly, including some unbelievably inane drivel, I think the least they could have done is contact their members directly to inform them.

TC may be able to claim the directory is copyright information and issue a DMCA takedown request to the company hosting the infringing content.

would that work for a company whos site is outside ireland?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    would that work for a company whos site is outside ireland?

It would for a company that is hosted on US servers by a hosting company like Microsoft (Azure). I expect they would take a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) takedown notification quite seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't know why the teaching council publish the current school anyways? I mean surely showing that you are registers is sufficient. Almost everyone looking you up will want that, not your actual employment place

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kristallball

which concedes this data breach is from 15 July 2015 - but it was not brought to our attention via email. The first I discovered about the TC's admission was via a post in this thread two days ago.

The breach happened long before the 15th of July. My name is on the lookup site and also says that I'm registered with conditions. The conditions were lifted from my registration in January 2015 and were changed on the TC website almost straight away, so from my thinking it happened in 2014. I'd say they only copped what was going on by July 2015 or maybe the first few complaints were sent in around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Anybody else have any word from the TC? They've forwarded my email to their IT dept and they say they'll be in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I've never looked myself up on the TC website so just tried it ...didn't have my registration no. handy but figured my name and surname would suffice but without my number it's like I don't exist as a registered post primary teacher. Found out there are two Primary teachers registered with the same name as me but no reference to myself.

So, out of curiosity I looked myself up on teacherlookup and Voila....there I was three seconds later, including my TC registration no. and my middle initial which I rarely ever use and certainly not as a teacher. Now once I had the number courtesy of teacherlookup I found myself on the TC website no problem. I didn't get why the original poster was so aggrieved but seeing all my details just pop up there for Joe Public to see, has really irritated me..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

RH149 wrote: »
    I've never looked myself up on the TC website so just tried it ...didn't have my registration no. handy but figured my name and surname would suffice but without my number it's like I don't exist as a registered post primary teacher.

That's because, as I said in the op, you need to search for your name precisely as it is recorded by the Teaching Council- "Seán O'Leary" will not find you if your name is recorded as "Seán Michael O'Leary".

So, out of curiosity I looked myself up on teacherlookup and Voila....there I was three seconds later, including my TC registration no. and my middle initial which I rarely ever use and certainly not as a teacher. Now once I had the number courtesy of teacherlookup I found myself on the TC website no problem. I didn't get why the original poster was so aggrieved but seeing all my details just pop up there for Joe Public to see, has really irritated me..:mad:

Middle initial missing from your initial TC website search, there you go! Much more importantly, what happens when you do a simple google search for your name (both with, and without, quotes)? After all, how many people are going to go to what is still a barely-known website to look for you? People who don't know your profession but know your name can now, for the first time, find out both your profession and your place of employment (and, so far, a couple of other pieces of information) from doing a simple google search. That is what is different now.

I've never looked myself up on the TC website so just tried it ...didn't have my registration no. handy but figured my name and surname would suffice but without my number it's like I don't exist as a registered post primary teacher. Found out there are two Primary teachers registered with the same name as me but no reference to myself.

Interesting, was it because of the middle initial you couldn't find your details on the TC website?

• Advertisement

People who don't know your profession but know your name can now, for the first time, find out both your profession and your place of employment (and, so far, a couple of other pieces of information) from doing a simple google search. That is what is different now.
    They can find SOME people. Let's keep it accurate, please.

Advertisement