Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacherslookup.com & Data Protection legislation

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

So now, almost 5 months later, they INTEND to write to google and the US authorities? Why wait this long?

This makes me so angry. I repeatedly asked them for a reason why they had not drawn teachers' attention to the notice on their website - they avoided the question and offered to contact me to 'discuss my concerns'

Google have removed plenty of similar results in the past. I'm sure if they contacted them with enough urgency they would oblige. Pathetic response by the TC to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Teaching Council ‏@TeachingCouncil 2h2 hours ago
    https://twitter.com/TeachingCouncil/status/655779495211724800
    @thebeauttruth We have attempted to strike a balance between informing teachers via 2 public notices & not increasing profile of the site.
    ridiculous its too late
    ching Council ‏@TeachingCouncil 5h5 hours ago @teach_talk_back @VoiceforTeacher Based on experience of ratemyteacher, we do not want to encourage more visits to it ...3/5 #edchatie

somebody makes the point they could have contacted teachers directly, .....rather the press being the first personlace they hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

a new message from the teachers council
    Websites such as this depend on a sufficient number of clicks and visits to generate advertising. Therefore the more visits it receives, the higher the revenue and the higher the search result appears. For these reasons, we think that the best approach is not to encourage more visits to this website and to limit the attention it gets.

all a bit late now

if they are such experts,

why did they not do this bit the first time , like every other website :
    Accordingly, we wish to reassure teachers that the Teaching Council has now increased the security protocol on the website by installing a captcha and a “no robot” protocol.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/News-Events/Latest-News/Update-on-Data-Security-re-Teaching-Council-Register.html

they should at the very least be handing back this years fees :
    Annual Registration Renewal €65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suppose the horse has bolted and we're into ratemyteachers territory yet again. So I don't think there's much more that they can do. Unless they change the way the data is presented (maybe as a picture rather than copyable text!).

They're right though, last thing a teacher should do is to start googling their name... it'll only increase the chances of other's finding your name. I'm pleased though that they did try and do something... Is this not an admission of guilt though! What exactly are they trying to protect if the data is public. Or maybe they're just being nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I suppose the horse has bolted and we're into ratemyteachers territory yet again. So I don't think there's much more that they can do. Unless they change the way the data is presented (maybe as a picture rather than copyable text!).

next amazing stunt probably : they will try to buy www.ie.teacherslookup.com

then that will hit all the news sites and and and

well intentioned, but it'll have the looks of a setup from the start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

katydid wrote: »

No, it certainly isn't a phase, but it would certainly faze a young teacher starting out. Not in terms of getting a job, but in terms of self-confidence. Kids say awfully cruel things.

I remember when RateMyTeachers came out and became popular among school children, there was also a RateMySolicitors site that become popular among those people who had a grudge against their solicitor.

Having spent a couple of hours on both sites, I quickly came to the conclusion from my non-exhaustive investigation that the feedback from kids about teachers was far more sensible, measured and specific than the feedback from adults about their solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gcooney93

mod snip, check charter about helping with college projects/research

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

2 teachers in my kids school are montesorri trained, one conditional and probation the other full.

Is this allowed surely there are enough qualified teachers to fill these positions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just happened across the Ireland Teachers Lookup page again http://ie.teacherslookup.com/ and everyname I've clicked so far has the message "This page has gone to Mars. "

Advertisement