Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Eucalyptus Tree

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

recedite wrote: »
    I burned eucalyptus last winter and didn't see any oil. There is a lot more resin on fresh pine wood, but even so, you will only get the creosote residue if the moisture content is high when you are actually burning it.
    BTW OP whats the deal on the firewood, is the contractor leaving it on site or taking it away? I paid €200 for similar firewood delivered in a tipper truck and estimated at 15-20 cubic metres (in 8 foot lengths & before splitting).

We are keeping some of it, we asked for other bits to be taken away as we can't store it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fionny wrote: »
    Ya he was keen for the business which suited us, I check his insurance etc... and all appeared to be in order. Got the job for a reasonable 800euro (half the price of the dearest quote and 450euro better then the next cheapest)

Thanks for letting us know the prices. I haven't priced a job in 20 years and I would have guessed you'd be getting prices around €1200. €800 if its a good tidy job seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I have been burning eucalyptus for over 12 years. It is the main timber I use as I live beside an overgrown eucalyptus trial plot dating from the 1970s here on the east coast. I have never had any problem with residue burning the timber in both an open fire and a stove. I had both chimneys swept this week and the Sweep said ( I always ask) that the chimneys were fine with only normal soot accumulation.
    On a separate note I took down a very large Euc last week, chipped the smaller branches, have cut up the bigger for fire wood 2 years down the line, but I have very large cuts of the base (diameter about 850mm, depth 500mm) for anyone who wants to collect and has the capacity to move them. I will post photos if there is any interest!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Those large ones would be ideal for Swedish Torches.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

fionny wrote: »
    Thanks for the confirmation :) its coming down today sadly.

I had mixed emotions but now that it's down, I know it was the right decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bixy wrote: »
    On a separate note I took down a very large Euc last week, chipped the smaller branches, have cut up the bigger for fire wood 2 years down the line, but I have very large cuts of the base (diameter about 850mm, depth 500mm) for anyone who wants to collect and has the capacity to move them. I will post photos if there is any interest!
    Have you tried splitting them?
    Normally the biggest rings are the best for firewood, say if it was beech wood you would get a nice lot of square blocks out of a big ring in no time. But E.Gunni can be a divil to split because the grain grows in a twisty way. Any idea which species it is? Gunni drops seeds that look like brown buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had mixed emotions but now that it's down, I know it was the right decision.

Hope you gave it a good hug before you murdered it! 😜

Advertisement