Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C POINTS UNMET/FETAC HELP.

• 13-08-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I badly failed three of my options and passed the three main core subjects which is Maths (D1), English(D3) and French (C1). My overall points would be under 130. My CAO courses are useless to say the least. Point is, I've been doing a lot of pre-emptive coping for months leading up to this week. I couldn't really say I was surprised nor was I regrettably sorry. Although, I do admit that I was too lazy to study for my Leaving Cert. while I was, (unbeknownst to me) falling into bouts of depression due to personal reasons. I have been totally realistic for the last three or so months of 6th year that I was sure I wouldn't be able to cope going to school anymore so I stopped going. Hence, my results.

Are PLCs totally dependent on/subjected to how interested you are on their particular course moreso than your results? As in interview-wise? Fully-booked places aside, would they ever even consider a lady like me who have failed half of her L.C into their college? The courses I listed on my CAO have all been computer-based since I have an innate interest in anything and everything about computers. I am hoping to do a level 5 at computer networking or pc specializing. They say the entry req. would be an interview (with two references) and L.C standard, a.k.a you just needed to finish your L.C, right? (I called the college and they said this. Please rectify if I'm wrong in believing this.)

I cannot go through senior year again. I know for sure I wouldn't be able to go through it again. I'm making it sound so complex lol but really I just find it so arduous. Also, congratulations to those who got what they wanted. Sharing my well wishes for you all and good luck!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The failing exams would not necessarily be an issue. The not showing up for classes and potentially taking a place from someone who would be interested would be.

Even if your course is about computers, it will not all be. There will be at least a mandatory module in Communications (English). You will need to convince any interviewer that you will not stop attending their course like you did with the Leaving. Has your depression been tackled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4vixen

spurious wrote: »
    The failing exams would not necessarily be an issue. The not showing up for classes and potentially taking a place from someone who would be interested would be.

Even if your course is about computers, it will not all be. There will be at least a mandatory module in Communications (English). You will need to convince any interviewer that you will not stop attending their course like you did with the Leaving. Has your depression been tackled?

I am for certain I would show up in classes now that I've had some form of enlightenment. All I know is that being around a computer would be my niche. I understand that there is an English module and I'm sure I'd be able to keep up with that. Thank you for your reply and your advice. I'm not sure if it's morally right to bring about my 6th year depression though in the interview? But yes, I have tackled it now.

I will be having my interview in September 1. How long of a process would it be for them til they accept me? Are there certain number of days? If so, wouldn't that make me far behind? (Classes start around first week of September.. if ever I do get accepted in this college.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know of some places told applicants within hours of the interview.

Remember, many PLC colleges, especially in the City of Dublin ETB have access to many extra services, including psychological services which standard schools do not have. I would make sure your tutors knew about your depression so that they could make allowances if it returned (hopefully not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Viven4 your honesty is refreshing and you have shown great insights into why you have failed, a very high level of self awareness. I would suggest honesty and openness in an interview as the other poster mentioned they will question your staying power. I am not sure where you live but colaiste dhulaigh in Coolock have open interviews until the 14th see their website.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Cairdre

Advertisement