Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timetables

• 13-08-2015 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

So when do you guys normally gey yours? First day? Post? Am just curious

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our teachers have them a number of weeks now. They had to select their unpaid overtime classes and send them back to the DP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

End of June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Usually the week before we go back, so some time next week hopefully so the dozens on part time CID can finally have some idea of where we stand for the next year in terms of extra RPT hours. Sometimes we don't get it until we go back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

janes1234 wrote: »
    So when do you guys normally gey yours? First day? Post? Am just curious

We get the names of the classes before the holidays and the actual timetables first day back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I think all timetables were supposed to be out around this week to allow people to select their s&s. There's rules now about when it should be done. I haven't time now to find them

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    I think all timetables were supposed to be out around this week to allow people to select their s&s. There's rules now about when it should be done. I haven't time now to find them

Hmm, interesting. We only get to choose our unpaid hours once we have the timetables in September. But then it's a FE college, so we are never sure from year to year what courses will be running, so even when we get the, they're provisional.

In any case, we wouldn't be contacted in the summer. Big no no..

seavill wrote: »

This was queried in my school. The circular says teachers should receive timetables by "a date in August" and that this date will be decided individually by each school and notified to staff before summer holidays. The date now set for my school is 31st August. Obviously the circular intended the consultation process to be done with some respect for teacher's but it's vague enough to get away with effectively ignoring it if wanted.

This was queried in my school. The circular says teachers should receive timetables by "a date in August" and that this date will be decided individually by each school and notified to staff before summer holidays. The date now set for my school is 31st August. Obviously the circular intended the consultation process to be done with some respect for teacher's but it's vague enough to get away with effectively ignoring it if wanted.

Most schools are back by the end of August now, so they can hang on until the new term has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

I know a school that does not give the timetable out until after the first day back.You do not get to choose your s & s periods either. Croke Park hours are handed to you as well so no input good ,bad or indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

First day back.

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    I know a school that does not give the timetable out until after the first day back.You do not get to choose your s & s periods either. Croke Park hours are handed to you as well so no input good ,bad or indifferent.
    You are entitled to be consulted. Those teachers should object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

We get ours before we break for the summer in the last week. However they are always open to change (which some are, but usually minor changes) and everyone indicates their preference slots for S&S. This is so it can be all arranged and ready to go when we are back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Always get ours at the beginning of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

None here. Usually first day back. I only know what class groups I have coz I went in and requested it on Thursday. Drives me bloody nuts, as a single teacher dept where management were considering pulling in a part timer to take some and shift me back towards my other , I no more intend to go doing yearly plans for someone else.

I don't understand why we can't get the thing or at least a list of class groups in July so that we can actually get some planning done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Never Ever show your wife or other significant person your timetable otherwise they have you on a leash
    Point two always have a handy excuse for those who ask you to cover a class for them. ie medical appointment
    Point three-Think like a chess player timetable wise-what subjects can I move into that are easier to teach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Never Ever show your wife or other significant person your timetable otherwise they have you on a leash

Surely that's more reflective of your relationship than the general case?
    Point two always have a handy excuse for those who ask you to cover a class for them. ie medical appointment

Plenty of teachers don't mind helping out a colleague, particularly if they know the favour will be returned when they need it.
    Point three-Think like a chess player timetable wise-what subjects can I move into that are easier to teach

Very much dependent on what management want you to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

I hope you are not a teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We got ours in yesterday's post....and have to nominate our nine periods for S&S by Monday

solerina wrote: »
    We got ours in yesterday's post....and have to nominate our nine periods for S&S by Monday

That seems like unreasonably short notice! What if people are away? Or if they don't happen to receive theirs until later? Will your principal be flexible?

That seems like unreasonably short notice! What if people are away? Or if they don't happen to receive theirs until later? Will your principal be flexible?
    He might have to be, although if last year is anything to go on...he won't be too flexible !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

solerina wrote: »

Why do you have to nominate nine periods? I only have nine free periods as it is!

In case there is overlap on the 5 and have too many teachers in certain slots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

So you prioritise the nine? Haven't heard of that before, thanks

Yea put in order and if he needs move someone will try move you to your 6th choice instead of your 9th. Although not ideal better than getting stuck with the one you really don't want

Actually we haven't been asked to nominate at all. I thought it was standardised in the circular last year so we should have had to nominate?

Actually we haven't been asked to nominate at all. I thought it was standardised in the circular last year so we should have had to nominate?
    You should have been asked to nominate, although I do know 3 people on my staff who ended up with the period they nominated as no 9 being one of their 5 periods last year, they were not happy !!!

Yeah I thought so. Just mentioned that the S and S board would be in the staffroom on Wednesday but that was only for lunchtime supervision last year. It'll be chaos if we have to nominate 10 on it....

We have to nominate the 9 and say what supervision we will do and email back by Mon...no free for all in the staffroom

Just got confirmation its a free for all. Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

What has the teaching world come to at all at all? With 9 'blank' periods one has to fill in all 9 ranked 1 (the period you do not mind doing ) to 9 (the least favourite period).This dirty trick was played last year in school not too far away from where I live: every one got their 1st,2nd and 3rd period.........and then their 8th and 9th!!!,which for one girl was the last class on a Friday afternoon,she was usually 'caught' for it.
    Do you realise now that the second level time table has about as much flexibility as a primary school timetable=NONE! Working conditions have been eroded at a shocking rate.
    Do not mention the Croke Park hours! Quite a few schools are returning on Wednesday next to get 12 said hours out of the way on Wednesday and Thursday where another school has 'postponed' Croke Park until later because the Principal has no life and would prefer to hold teachers captive at evening time throughout the dark winter adding a considerable extra expense to childminding.

Advertisement