Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting / CAO

• 13-08-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Got my LC results yesterday and was a little disappointed... Not gonna qualify for my top 2 CAO options. Will more than likely get my 3rd but I'm actually really excited for it. Only problem is that the course requires a garda vetting and I'm not really sure how to get one of those and if I'm too late? should I have submitted a garda vetting ages ago or what. any help at all would be great, thanks lads. contacted my old careers guidance teacher but she hasn't replied to my e-mail and I'm panicking a bit :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My son is in Canada staying with his girlfriend who is Canadian, he cannot work as he didn't apply for a working visa, while over there he has decided to apply for one and there are jobs for the degree he has, I was talking to him last night and one of the things he needs is Garda vetting, so I rang the Garda station and asked, Garda vetting can take a few months to come back and usually only applies if you are going for a job and the employer asks for it , Garda clearance doesn't take as long and that what my son has to get, I would advise you to ring your local Garda station and explain the situation he should tell you what you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

gk2015 wrote: »
    Got my LC results yesterday and was a little disappointed... Not gonna qualify for my top 2 CAO options. Will more than likely get my 3rd but I'm actually really excited for it. Only problem is that the course requires a garda vetting and I'm not really sure how to get one of those and if I'm too late? should I have submitted a garda vetting ages ago or what. any help at all would be great, thanks lads. contacted my old careers guidance teacher but she hasn't replied to my e-mail and I'm panicking a bit :(

If your course requires Garda vetting, then the college will initiate the process. Individuals cannot request garda vetting. There is no such thing as general garda vetting - each vetting process is specific for an individual position or institution. So even if you had garda vetting previously, you would need to be vetted again specifically for this place.

Yes, garda vetting can take a number of months to come back - however until it does you will be operating under a position of utmost good faith, and will have signed something stating that you are not lying to the college about your past.

If you're worried, email the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just to answer your question,

Once you accept your offer the college will send you out mail including a Garda vetting form and depending on your course immunisation sheets etc to be signed by your gp.

Get them signed and send it off to the college and they take care of the rest of it.

It's necessary because in certain courses you are put in positions of trust during the duration of your study e.g dent,med etc....

That's how it worked for me anyways.

Advertisement