Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HALFORDS Bargains [No Code requests!]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Maybe the price is correct and it's actually the UK one that's wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ronan H wrote: »
    Maybe the price is correct and it's actually the UK one that's wrong!

My thoughts are that €30.00 is expensive and £200 is outrageous ! Are these sets normally that expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're big sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're big sockets.

for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well, relative to the ones you normally get in €30 sets!
    My trusty 200 piece Halfords set only goes to 32mm for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

It's showing 'not available for collection' in any store for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

cerastes wrote: »
    Whats your local, there was a good bit left when I looked last week in Liffey valley branch, I just took what I needed, loads left 2 for my car and 2 for hers.

Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice one. Reserved for Friday.
    Axa card should work on this.

India is a long way to come for a set of sockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Kilkenny

I just did a quick check online and the Halfords oil is up to €18, odly enough when I did a click and collect, kilkenny, galway & waterford came up after it said not available in coolock, none of which are near me, but it did say the Ford spec 4lt was in Kilkenny, I didnt check the other 4lt oils, I'll leave that to you to check which one you need, but I'll be there Thursday, as after seeing this thread I ordered the sockets mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

vicwatson wrote: »
    My thoughts are that €30.00 is expensive and £200 is outrageous ! Are these sets normally that expensive?

Forget the 200 as that's only waffle, but 30 is an absolute steal.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Forget the 200 as that's only waffle, but 30 is an absolute steal.

Based on what individual sockets are priced and Ive gotten some Halfords advanced stuff which I thought was a decent product, I think €30 is an ok price, I dont really even need them now, but if the need ever arises even once, then that will cover the cost.
    Other than I already have a large set of sockets but of a cheaper quality, If I used them more than I do, Id go for a complete Halfords Advanced set. I snapped a few cheaper hex bits from my set and went out and got an individual Halfords advanced item which did the job, but at €7+ for the item, its better value to buy in a set I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They are 12 point so plenty rounding on 6 point nuts. Also only 5 sockets above 32mm that you would have in a half inch set plus no ratchet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

They are an absolute steal at €30. These are 3/4" not 1/4".
    A single 12 point 50mm socket of comparable quality e.g. Draper expert would cost about €30

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sockets-Socket-Sets/EXPERT-SQUARE-DRIVE-POINT-SOCKET/B00DZO7HJU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1485829819&sr=8-9&keywords=draper+expert+50mm+3%2F4%22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

€30 for a 50mm socket lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

Absolutely no use for these, so I'll be collecting them on Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Great price for those sockets thanks OP I have a few sets of the Halfords advanced sockets and spanners and delighted with them not as good as my teng tools and snapon stuff obviously but you would be hard pressed to find better value when they are on sale

They are 12 point so plenty rounding on 6 point nuts. Also only 5 sockets above 32mm that you would have in a half inch set plus no ratchet.

A good few interested parties would most likely be buying these to compliment the other Halfords set(s) that they picked up in 2015/16 The 200 piece I got is a superb piece of kit. The 5 bars alone would be worth the 30quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I was chatting to someone who works for Halfords. He said that the price you reserve it at is the price you pay, even if the price goes up in the meantime.

A win for the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yoink nice one alfie.

This should have the right size for the caps for oil filters on cars that use drop in paper cartridges rather than spin on oil filters.

They're usually a 27mm if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

brembo26 wrote: »

32 and 36 I've used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Those sockets are a serious bargain gutted I missed it. A decent 3/4 breaker bar costs more than €30 on its own. Can't believe all the naysayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's unavailable now, luckily I reserved one, meant to be available Thursday at 1pm

brembo26 wrote: »

I think my A6 is a 32mm. Its a big bstrd anyway. And will be in this €30 kit :)

dodzy wrote: »
    A good few interested parties would most likely be buying these to compliment the other Halfords set(s) that they picked up in 2015/16 The 200 piece I got is a superb piece of kit. The 5 bars alone would be worth the 30quid.

How much was that 200 piece set at the time? It looks like the socket sets are on offer too, but I get the halfords UK email so prices in sterling on it, but there is a 25% difference in the prices compared to Ireland when you convert, in their favour, if I was over there in the car I'd consider picking up a set that's on offer.

Those sockets are a serious bargain gutted I missed it. A decent 3/4 breaker bar costs more than €30 on its own. Can't believe all the naysayers.
    I wonder are some confusing 3/8s for 3/4s?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The smallest socket is 19mm, right?

What the hell am I going to do with this? Fix a tractor? Build a battleship?

MarkR wrote: »

If you ever thought your local bridge was a little bit loose you now have the means to nip it up a little.

cerastes wrote: »
    How much was that 200 pure set at the time? It looks like the socket sets are on offer too, but I get the halfords UK email so prices in sterling on it, but there is a 25% difference in the prices compared to Ireland when you convert, in their favour, if I was over there in the car I'd consider picking up a set of offer.

I got the 200 piece for €150 (give or take a few bob). One of the best purchases I ever made, tool-wise.
    MarkR wrote: »

Who cares? It's a bargain. Nobody ever questions if you need it around here. We are way too fickle. You simply have to buy it. Even if you NEVER use it, you'll always know you got a bargain :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

P1010137.jpg

• Advertisement

^haha for average Joe (myself included) the 50mm socket in this set is gonna be a paperweight at best.

Advertisement